Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: J Lavs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
J Lavs

Hi everyone

Another mundane question.

Per the thread subject, what is the AC policy with the J lavatory? On my most recent trip, I was in J for both the outbound and returning flights. I noticed a lot of whY pax crossing the magical curtain and queueing up in the J aisle for the J lav

I know that those paranoid airlines south of the 49 make a point to announce something to the effect of "blah blah security blah blah please only use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin" and their FAs are somewhat diligent with policing it ....
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes they announce that the front lav is for the J pax, sometimes they don't.

As to enforcing, again, all over the place. Even if enforcing, they will let children and reduced mobility people come to the front. Which incidentally is by no means unreasonable.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: AC.SE
I find a lot of airlines (other than Air Canada) quite consistently tell Y passengers (or J passengers who try to use F facilities) to use their own lavs. Contrast that to Air Canada flights, when even after an FA announces overhead that the forward lavatories are for J passengers, the cabin crew smiles benignly as a steady stream of Y passengers--young, old and everything between--head for the J lavs.

It's been more of problem on single-aisle aircraft.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
J Lavs

Two recent experiences:

Returning LAX-YYZ 2 weeks ago, seated in J, all manner of main cabin people were coming through the curtain. We finally asked the SD and it turned out one of the back lavs was out of order.

On my YYZ-HND-YYZ this week, I was in PE both legs. On the outbound, the SD made a specific announcement at the beginning of the flight that the lavs were restricted to the J/PE cabins and essentially, they were to use the ones in the back. I would say that perhaps 2-3 people came through the curtain over the 13 hours.

On the HND-YYZ, there was no specific announcement, and numerous people came through the PE curtain. It was a full flight, so perhaps some people could not wait if there was a line-up in the back, or they thought PE was closer.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
J Lavs

If the lavatories in the back of the cabin are busy , I wonder what is the issue with passengers using the ones up front. I just did YUL-YVR and the line up in the back was big (I counted 6pax standing in the aisle). The SD gave the okay to a couple of passengers sitting in the first rows in economy to use the lavatory in the front.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:45 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Same experience as everyone else - I will say that when I'm in Y, I never cross the curtain, knowing how I would feel about it if I was in J.

On TATL/TPAC, I've seen greater enforcement than domestic / transborder routes, where FAs will chase someone down.

On domestic / transborder, I've seen some FA's send people up based on a broken washroom (as 24left), or when beverage / meal service has started at the top of the Y cabin - so that the FA's done have to shift the cart back and forth.

Curious as to what Bens / Andrew / ACYYZ/SD know as to the official policy.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Oddly enough, on a recent flight I took, the FA's made an announcement that the J lavs were for business pax only, yet there wasn't a single passenger in J.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:50 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uni3052
If the lavatories in the back of the cabin are busy , I wonder what is the issue with passengers using the ones up front. I just did YUL-YVR and the line up in the back was big (I counted 6pax standing in the aisle). The SD gave the okay to a couple of passengers sitting in the first rows in economy to use the lavatory in the front.
I don't think of myself as an DYKWIA (definitely a gate lice though... full admit that ), but I'm a fan of the "stay in your class" system.

When I pay for business (or even spend my upgrades), I'm not only looking for the space and service in the seats, but also for a less crowded section, not having people lingering near my seat with their hands on the back of it, or above my head bracing on the bin, etc.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Different policy on Rouge?

On a recent Rouge flight (in Row 4, A319), I heard the FA responding to a question about the forward lavs (J, even though it is "only" Premium Rouge), stating that they were open to all. Several passengers from the first few rows of Y used the forward lav after that.

For those who are curious, I could not bring myself to do the same. That curtain is a mental as well as physical barrier.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC S100K
On narrow body aircraft, during the food and drink service, there are two service trolleys in the aisle.

At these times, FAs often encourage the use of the forward facilities.

Whatever the policy may be, I'm happy to let the crew worry about it while I have another drink.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I have seen crew let it go until a line up forms in the front cabin and then they send everyone back.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Lavatories are specific to the class of service that they are located in. However, allowances need to be made for:

>An unserviceable lavatory, and adhering to the MEL (Minimum Equipment List) which allows the aircraft to be dispatched. I believe the ratio is 1:60. Obviously more of an issue the smaller the aircraft.

>The use by elderly, mobility challenged, special needs customers and children based on proximity and ease of access & with discretion.

>"Washroom emergencies"

Also bear in mind that we operate on many flights with minimum crew, and cannot always be on hand to monitor who is passing through the curtains unnoticed. We do our best.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uni3052
The issue is that I pay for a shorter lines and cleaner lavs. That's like asking what's the big deal if I just grab a J meal off the cart when no one's looking.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
LAX-YYZ, the crew were diligent about enforcing the keep-to-your-class washroom policy except for a network TV actor who was in row 12 right behind me in my row 4 eUp-came-through-at-the-gate seat. Him, they let come forward. He also got the J meal.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Sometimes you just *gotta* go.

Ron.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.