Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC2 NRT-YYZ; order of the meal service on this flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC2 NRT-YYZ; order of the meal service on this flight?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
AC menus have not changed significantly in years.
While I would love to see the menu change more frequently I'm not sure there's all that much flexibility:

AC offers four main course choices (which is more than many competitors offer) and they seem to have decided that those are:

1) beef (occasionally lamb/veal)
2) chicken
3) fish
4) vegetarian pasta/risotto

Most choices are very mainstream (maybe even a little bland), I certainly don't want AC to become too creative with meals, but one "outside the box" option such as an ethnic-style meal would be nice.

On a related note, is there a reason none of the four main courses ever contains pork?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by SYM
But isn't that why they give priority to SEs? If you've memorized the menu why wait to place your order? Actually, I wonder why they even bother distributing the menus to status pax.
You are right. The SD should know their preference by heart. Why ask? Just bring the vinaigrette . Seriously, they spring the occasional surprise like Rack of Lamb.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Most choices are very mainstream (maybe even a little bland), I certainly don't want AC to become too creative with meals, but one "outside the box" option such as an ethnic-style meal would be nice.
You mean like the butter chicken that has been served recently.

On a related note, is there a reason none of the four main courses ever contains pork?
Probably due to religious concern for Muslims and Jews who do after all make up probably a whopping 1-2% of people on most flights..
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
You mean like the butter chicken that has been served recently.
Yes, something along those lines. I haven't seen that dish on any of my recent flight, though the green curry chicken available a while ago seemed quite popular.

Probably due to religious concern for Muslims and Jews who do after all make up probably a whopping 1-2% of people on most flights..
Quite possible, though it seems ridiculous to me to eliminate pork products when there are four main course options.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
While I would love to see the menu change more frequently I'm not sure there's all that much flexibility:

AC offers four main course choices (which is more than many competitors offer) and they seem to have decided that those are:

2) chicken
3) fish

Back in 2013 I (I am pretty sure it was an AC flight) had a really really REALLY good Grilled Ahi Tuna & bean salad appetizer with a Arctic char with Chanterelles, Chickpeas, and Tomatoes. But I have never seen it since

It's the one great meal I remember.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport

2) chicken
3) fish

Pork makes an appearance on rotation to/from Asia.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, AC 25K
Thanks.

Sorry, wasn't clear. Flying paid J. Was interested in what gets server when, you have answered my question very well. Thank you.

Are you in J or Y?

What exactly do you mean by "order of the meal service":
  • Whose orders are taken first: In J it is supposed to be SE's first then sometimes E's then everyone else typically front of plane to back.
  • Who gets served first: front to back in J, I believe front to back in each section of Y
  • What gets served when? Dinner shortly after take-off, snack mid-flight, breakfast about 1.5 hours before landing. J snacks can be ordered at any time after initial meal service.

Hope that answered your question.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Back in 2013 I (I am pretty sure it was an AC flight) had a really really REALLY good Grilled Ahi Tuna & bean salad appetizer with a Arctic char with Chanterelles, Chickpeas, and Tomatoes. But I have never seen it since

It's the one great meal I remember.
IIRC, that was the featured appetizer created by Top Chef Canada.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
IIRC, that was the featured appetizer created by Top Chef Canada.
Ah! like a limited time special? That would make sense. Too bad, it was great!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, AC 25K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

One more question related to this flight. I am connecting onward to YXU. Do you still pick up bags at customs and then put back on luggage carousel after clearing? Just want to make sure I can put my duty free liquids into checked baggage before going through security. Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by airswim
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

One more question related to this flight. I am connecting onward to YXU. Do you still pick up bags at customs and then put back on luggage carousel after clearing? Just want to make sure I can put my duty free liquids into checked baggage before going through security. Thanks.
Yes you do still pick up bags and put them back on luggage carousel after customs.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Do you mean like the Japanese meals on flights to/from Japan? (Which is outstanding when departing from Tokyo btw)... Or Chicken Yakitori for the second meal?

Or the Bulgogi on flights to/from ICN- or the glass noodles?

I agree generally on NA routes- but the menu is quite varied to/from Asia.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plumber
Do you mean like the Japanese meals on flights to/from Japan? (Which is outstanding when departing from Tokyo btw)... Or Chicken Yakitori for the second meal?

Or the Bulgogi on flights to/from ICN- or the glass noodles?

I agree generally on NA routes- but the menu is quite varied to/from Asia.
Fair enough. Let me rephrase:

There are very few "non-mainstream" choices on flights within NA as well as between Canada and Europe.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:17 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

2) chicken
3) fish

We recently ran a survey among our top tiers and I can share with you that pork sat very low on the list of preferred protein. The top 5 (which represented 90% of the responses) were beef, chicken, fish, lamb & shellfish. This is something that we can consider once we have the capability to let our customers pre-order their meals in J which we're working on.

As for ethnic style meals, you'll notice that we're slowly trying them out on all routes on both International and NA Business Class.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:19 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Also, new meal service coming on Oct 1 for all YYZ/Asia, YVR/SYD and YYZ/TLV flights so stay tuned. Plated entrees, cheese selection from a trolley, full cake & fruit selection, brunch option before arrival on Asia flights where we currently serve breakfast. We ran a few trials recently and very well received by our customers especially those that fly very often.

We are also introducing a new breakfast card option tomorrow (Sep 1) on all red eye Europe flights (except for YHZ/YYT-LHR). You can choose your breakfast option before you sleep so you can maximize your sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.