Fall 2014 Earn Your Wings

Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
I suspect that there will be a new badge revealed each week for the next 3 weeks as the booking window for the contest narrows. I also wouldn't be surprised if mystery badge #2 targets international segments and badge #3 is both general in scope and the most generous of the three, but with a very narrow (1 week or possibly less) booking window.

SG
Well I'm certainly not booking until the 15th now, but I'll see what happens. I'm pretty flexible for the rest of the contest period, so I don't mind when I fly.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well I'm certainly not booking until the 15th now, but I'll see what happens. I'm pretty flexible for the rest of the contest period, so I don't mind when I fly.
Segment runs will become increasingly risky as we get into October and November. I'd probably leave at least a couple hours in between flights for Canadian cities.

Not sure yet if I'm going to participate this time around. I already have enough travel booked for SE this year.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
When EYW 3 was announced on first glance not worth the effort I thought.
Worst than EYW2 which I passed.

As I was going to Mel Early SEPT, I decided to print out the T&C & Badges & Wing earning requirements. On my SFO-SYD-SFO 14+ hour flights this past week, had time to work out some itineraries & do number crunching.
Lo & Behold discovered EYW3 if routed correctly can net 100K wings not much more than my spend on EYW1 ^

Add to that I have some 75K+ of Business travel left for the year. Instead of booking all on United I may look @ Air Canada for some of that travel . Today I Registered for EYW3.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Lo & Behold discovered EYW3 if routed correctly can net 100K wings not much more than my spend on EYW1
Did you find something better than the YEG-{YXE,YQR}-YWG-{YXE,YQR}-YEG itineraries I mentioned here? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23434805-post24.html
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by yvr76
After you vote, it shows you the current %s. As of now it's 62% Flex, 37% Tango. Given that this is only for Altitude members, I'm surprised that anyone would vote Tango.

I'm now holding off any bookings until September 15th!
It's 50% Tango 49% Flex now
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
52% Tango now! We need everyone to vote Flex, come on!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
52% Tango now! We need everyone to vote Flex, come on!
Do that many Altitude members qualify on segments? Or are they just looking to do segment runs for this promo on Tango fares?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by yvr76
Do that many Altitude members qualify on segments? Or are they just looking to do segment runs for this promo on Tango fares?
Give the record level flex/tango price differential this year, I am not surprised at all that many have given up on the flex value proposition.

In game theory, you should always go for the safer option of what is achievable.

I bet Ian Di Tullio is watching this (and this board) with great interest.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:42 pm
alc

I voted yesterday because I read it here, but I only rec'd the email to ask me to vote this evening, hence I assume the vast majority of the public only knew about voting about this badge tonight. I would think most of those people only look to get bonus Aeroplan miles and not to be the top 20 will vote for the Tango 2500 badge. As I would think those people will be mostly purchase Tango fare.

I did vote Tango myself as I know if I am going to be in this EYW3 will be all done by MR, and will be either go back and use the NY FP or the YTZ-YUL-YOW-YHZ-YQM that I mentioned in EYW2 after they introduce the speed bump badge where those are all book in Tango.

My question to the group is whether you think this is an earn one-time only badge or is it one per every 6 segments. I read it a few times and it seems to be one-time, but hoping it is only my bad reading and can earn more than one time.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by alc
My question to the group is whether you think this is an earn one-time only badge or is it one per every 6 segments. I read it a few times and it seems to be one-time, but hoping it is only my bad reading and can earn more than one time.
Code:
The Altitude Badge can only be earned once and only upon registering for the Promotion online. 
Cabin Badges, Destination Badges, Globetrotter Badges, Avis Badge, and Fairmont Badge can be earned more than one time. 
In order to receive a Globetrotter Badge more than once, you must meet the minimum airport criteria each time as outlined in the Badge Legend. 
The Top 20 Badge can only be earned once.
Although they don't explicitly state what category this new badge will be in, only two badges are currently explicitly marked as one-time-only. The new T&C's for the new badges also don't specify single/multiple eligibility. I'd assume multiple in the absence of the contrary. After all, they want us to fly

I found it interesting concierges didn't know about EYW3 and 50% bonus yet. No internal communication on this according to YVR concierge. However, no issue getting me swiftly through YEG! ^^

Last edited by YXXFlyer; Sep 10, 2014 at 1:22 am Reason: T&C Legibility
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
A word of caution for anyone who is aiming for a top 20 spot. I believe that there is going to be increased competition this time around judging from the early standings. There are a number of contestants who are obviously segment running at this early stage in the game. Don't count on picking up the 500k bonus miles with a 50k or even a 100k wing count.

SG
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Snow Goose
A word of caution for anyone who is aiming for a top 20 spot. I believe that there is going to be increased competition this time around judging from the early standings. There are a number of contestants who are obviously segment running at this early stage in the game. Don't count on picking up the 500k bonus miles with a 50k or even a 100k wing count.

SG
Because Internationally is far more lucrative in EYW3. I would agree that we are looking @ 100K+ wing count.

I have calculate by doing international trips one can accumulate 50+ Global badges easy. Than there is Destination Wings & Thereshold badges. International can easily net 200K Wings.
If 20 participant went the international route they would have it in the bag.
No way segment running can beat the international. EYW3 is International.
I registered48 hours ago; however have not decided 75K+ international travel left to do if I want to do it on AC .
Before EYW3 I had decided United as I am gunning for United 2 Million Miler by 2015. In 3 years I want 3 Million Miler with United to get 1K for life.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Because Internationally is far more lucrative in EYW3. I would agree that we are looking @ 100K+ wing count.

I have calculate by doing international trips one can accumulate 50+ Global badges easy.
You call 20 round trips "easy"?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by cperciva
You call 20 round trips "easy"?

I did not post one had to do 20 RT to accumulate substantial amount of Globetrotter Badges.

I stated EYW3 is more lucrative for International Travel.
Not wanting to have AC go in & change rules as they did in EWY1, I am not going to post any details.

No way one will need 20RT for International Travel.

For EYW1 90% of my travel was international. I was way up there on Leaderboard. No way did I do 20 RT not even close.

Originally Posted by yyzprincess View Post

I have calculate by doing international trips one can accumulate 50+ Global badges easy.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Some cities like LGA and LHR are on 3 different Globetrotter badges. CDG (ugh) is on 4.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.