Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2014 Earn Your Wings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Meh, all my travels till early next year have been booked. Won't and can't play this game! Well, I never did, nor do I care!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DaveObee
Inspired by another thread, a question: What percentage of the EYW top 20 will be FTers? How many FTers were in the top 20 last year?
Quite a few. I know for EYW2, most of the top 10 were FT members. After they revealed the speedbump badges, I spent 2 weekends doing some segment runs.

The badges only give you 2000 wings now, not the 5000 they previously did.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
One of the things in the T&C states

Once a specific combination of flight activities (e.g.: Cross Channel Badge - takeoff at LHR on Aug 27, 2014 & land in CDG on Sept 17, 2014) is used towards the criteria for a Globetrotter Badge, it cannot be used again for the criteria for the same Globetrotter Badge. However, if eligible, it can be used towards other Globetrotter Badges.
For some reason, I can't seem to properly parse this sentence. Can someone help explain this better?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maradori

For some reason, I can't seem to properly parse this sentence. Can someone help explain this better?
I think that just means you can't use a landing at LHR and a takeoff at LHR to get one badge, but you can use a takeoff at LHR and a landing at CDG for one, and the corresponding landing at LHR and takeoff at CDG for another.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by maradori

I read it as a fairly straightforward restriction. Does rephrasing as "each flight you complete can be counted once for every badge, but not twice for the same badge" make it any better?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:04 am

It seems that EYW2 was about twice as hard as EYW and EWY3 is about twice the effort as EYW2, pending any of the mystery badges of course.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:31 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
For me, this is way to complicated and time consuming to figure out . I’ll just register and see what I end up with in the end. ^
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:46 pm

Hmmm I passed on the previous two EYWs, maybe I'll participate this time.
I could get at least some bonus AP miles out of this..
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
It seems that EYW2 was about twice as hard as EYW and EWY3 is about twice the effort as EYW2, pending any of the mystery badges of course.
I disagree. EYWv2 was hard because there was no lucrative bonus for being in the top. You had to actually earn all the wings.

v1 and v3 allowed you to earn a "few" wings, but come out with half a million miles by being in the top 25/20.

With the current state of things, 50k wings might guarantee you a spot in the top 20. That's not too hard to do, and will earn you quite a few miles
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Just a friendly reminder that today is the last day to book under the AC double miles promo for select Canadian routes. It may matter to some of you when planning EYW3 itineraries.

SG
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I disagree. EYWv2 was hard because there was no lucrative bonus for being in the top. You had to actually earn all the wings.

v1 and v3 allowed you to earn a "few" wings, but come out with half a million miles by being in the top 25/20.

With the current state of things, 50k wings might guarantee you a spot in the top 20. That's not too hard to do, and will earn you quite a few miles
I was referring to how difficult it is to earn the 'core wings', without the bonuses. But like EYW2, it will depend on the mystery badges. I think you're right, the cutoff for top 20 will be much lower than EYW1, which was around ~100,000 wings for top 25.

Given the short amount of time for booking the flights, the badges should start to be revealed in the next couple weeks. So I'll try to hold off on booking my planned travel until then.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:02 pm

So, what happens with flights that include a stop? For example, I just booked flight AC92 YYZ-EZE with a stop at SCL. Am I going to get badges for landing and taking off from SCL? Can we earn the same badge twice anyway?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jasdou
So, what happens with flights that include a stop? For example, I just booked flight AC92 YYZ-EZE with a stop at SCL. Am I going to get badges for landing and taking off from SCL? Can we earn the same badge twice anyway?
Welcome to Flyertalk!

If you booked AC92 YYZ-EZE as a direct flight, you wouldn't get any badges for the layover in SCL.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Welcome to Flyertalk!

If you booked AC92 YYZ-EZE as a direct flight, you wouldn't get any badges for the layover in SCL.
Thanks Jasper!

That would be consistent as they don't give 2 AQS either for this flight which is a shame given the length of the flights and the hassle of having to get out of the plane and then boarding again. At least I will be flying out of Bogota on this trip so that should earn me a Dulce de leche badge. Yay!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AC 75K
I'm curious about people's previous experiences (since the T&Cs are silent on this, as far as I can tell) ...

Do AC metal flights count, even if booked through an intermediary airline? (i.e. I've got a multi-segment flight booked with United, but one segment, DCA-YUL, is on AC metal, and I'm curious if that will count in my favor.)

Although looking at the badge description for DCA, "Awarded when you take off or land in Washington D.C. – Dulles." (an airport AC doesn't even fly to) ... I don't hold out much hope. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.