Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MLL Wine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:48 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by The Lev
A nice idea, but I think the MLL's go through a lot of wine...
Hmmmm. I resemble that comment. It appears you've been in the lounge at the same time as me.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: FT
i would be VERY VERY surprised if anything available that was decent could come in around the sub 10 cost price point AC is clearly looking at with its selections.

maybe even less.

i would hazard a guess than the "local" selections chosen are possibly not even VQA and imported juice from South America.

I am always amazed at friends that drink plonk from BC and then find out it is actually chilie juice.

again, no way in hell is AC going to get anything decent into their lounges for what they are prepared to spend.

other than Drappier, wine is where AC in J and it's lounges does piss poor.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mkjr
i would be VERY VERY surprised if anything available that was decent could come in around the sub 10 cost price point AC is clearly looking at with its selections.

maybe even less.
I would be extremely surprised if AC spent anything close to $10/bottle for the plonk in the MLLs.

I'd estimate that AC spends less than $12 for most wines in int'l J (after excluding GST/HST and deducting a ~20% discount off retail prices, which seems reasonable), quite a bit less for wines in domestic J and considerably less for wines in the MLLs.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I would be extremely surprised if AC spent anything close to $10/bottle for the plonk in the MLLs.

I'd estimate that AC spends less than $12 for most wines in int'l J (after excluding GST/HST and deducting a ~20% discount off retail prices, which seems reasonable), quite a bit less for wines in domestic J and considerably less for wines in the MLLs.
I would guess they get a much bigger discount / rebate than 20%.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drwilliams
I would guess they get a much bigger discount / rebate than 20%.
Quite possible. Since I'm no expert when it comes to the wine industry, I provided a conservative estimate; if the discount is greater it only strengthens my argument that AC should invest a few more $ when buying wines.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by tireman77
I wouldn't go so far as to say plenty and exceptional in the same sentence, but to each his own.

I would just be disappointed if I were in J and only had a choice of Canadian wines. Don't get me wrong, I'd still drink it.. but I would be disappointed.
Agree. it would be nice if AC offered *one* *quality* Canadian white wine and *one* *quality* Canadian red wine in int'l J; spend a few more $ on the other wines and I'd start calling AC's wine selection good.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried a blind tasting comparing similarly priced Canadian wine with wine from other countries? For example, ever tried a blind tasting with mid-priced bordeaux ($40 to $80) compared to Canadian bordeaux-style blends from either Niagara or Okanagan? Or a similar blind tasting with good pinot with moderately priced burgundy?

Not to be too much of a wine snob, but it may change your perspective.

I would host if anyone makes it to the wilds of New Brunswick!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried a blind tasting comparing similarly priced Canadian wine with wine from other countries? For example, ever tried a blind tasting with mid-priced bordeaux ($40 to $80) compared to Canadian bordeaux-style blends from either Niagara or Okanagan? Or a similar blind tasting with good pinot with moderately priced burgundy?

1) No.
2) Thanks. I shall send you a PM if I ever happen to come to NB.

While I may occasionally complain about the wines AC offers, I don't think of myself as a wine snob. I rarely spend more than $15-$20 for a bottle of wine (less when purchasing outside Canada) unless it's for a special occasion. Unfortunately AC tends to spend half as much, and it is rather noticeable IMO.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:01 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

The $40-$80 range is out of my budget for wine. Sorry.

I've had some very good wines from Canada, mostly whites, but they have been oddly expensive. Pinot noir in not in my wheelhouse personally. I also stay away from French wines, for reasons I cannot explain.

The reason I wouldn't like a 100% Canadian wine offering is that in the budget AC probably has for wine, the Canadian offerings will probably not be in the range of 'very good'. Many other countries offer remarkably good wines for reasonable prices and I'd prefer to have that to a mediocre Canadian offering.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
It would be nice if they were able to leverage enroute magazine to complement the food/beverage service in J (especially international).

A highlight of each trip I take is to read the magazine. It would be great if they could do something like run a segment on a specific winery or series of wineries, only to then run an in-flight feature showcasing wines from said wineries.

I think it would be really neat to sample different wines while reading about them in a magazine.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have long given up on MLL wines. Occasionally a glass of port. Or soda water. Or an espresso if in the morning.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:57 am
Flying Blue Director

While I understand our wine selection may not be to the taste of everyone, I just wanted to clarify that all of our MLLs in Canada offer at least one Canadian wine as part of its selection, which is a quarterly rotation depending on its availability. For 2014 we are highlighting wines from both Niagara, ON and Okanagan, BC.

Of course we can't have wines from all the Canadian wineries, but I think we have a good selection to complement our other wines from Australia, California, Italy, etc.

Last edited by Ben Lipsey; Aug 26, 2014 at 12:00 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by mkjr
i would hazard a guess than the "local" selections chosen are possibly not even VQA and imported juice from South America.
I don't recall ever seeing a non-VQA Canadian wine being served in the MLL or onboard J.

(and agree re Drappier being the best wine they serve).
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
While I understand our wine selection may not be to the taste of everyone, I just wanted to clarify that all of our MLLs in Canada offer at least one Canadian wine as part of it’s selection which is a quarterly rotation depending on its availability. For 2014 we are highlighting wines from both Niagara, ON and Okanagan, BC.

Of course we can't have wines from all the Canadian wineries, but I think we have a good selection to complement our other wines from Australia, California, Italy, etc.
Canada has a respectable wine industry and its great that our national airline does showcase our industry on an international level.

^ For Air Canada supporting Canada's wine industry
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Yes. I think $40-60 Canadian Chardonnay and Pinot Noir can more than hold its own against similar and higher priced French (and Californian) product. A little tougher with Bordeaux blends - there are a few good Canadian ones, but can typically get better value in that price range elsewhere. You need to like Cabernet Franc.

Problem is that is not AC's price point. There are some very decent $10-15 wines to be had out there, trouble is that gets you to the lower end of VQA's in Canada. OK for light whites but Canada's reds can't compete at that price point.

I do get to YQM a couple of times a year.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:49 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
It all depends on what the airline is willing to pay for.

Air NZ offers great NZ wines in their Koru Clubs.

Asiana even offers Inniskillin Ice Wine in their Asiana First Lounge in ICN if I recall correctly.

I think there is marketing opportunity here for an established producer if the cost sharing equation is appropriate.

Wolf's Blass Yellow Label Chardonnay in the YWG MLL this past two weeks. On sale in Vancouver for 15.99 a bottle. It was probably the most expensive wine that I have seen so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.