Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Web Check-In with Visa Infinite Aerogold - Baggage Fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:20 am
Original Poster

When doing web check-in, does the first free checked bag benefit of the Visa Infinite Aerogold automatically apply or must you check in through the counter?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:10 am

Is it an aeroplan reward ticket?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iMedic
Is it an aeroplan reward ticket?
Yes, the only thing is I don't remember whether I had paid the taxes and such with the Visa Infinite as I usually use my Amex Plat.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:11 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
From my experience the AC IT system doesn't cover a scenario like this. You'll be charged for OLCI, and can either go through the hoops to be refunded, or check in at the airport.

I do not have any experience with this either, but others have stated that they've checked in with 0 bags, and gone to the airport desk to later add them for free.

Also occurs for *G members, SE's choosing preferred seats on an AE reward ticket, etc.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by ixmnrs
Yes, the only thing is I don't remember whether I had paid the taxes and such with the Visa Infinite as I usually use my Amex Plat.
You should always use your Aerogold Visa Infinite to pay as the Amex Plat has no travel insurance coverage if you are flying on an Aeroplan reward ticket.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801
You should always use your Aerogold Visa Infinite to pay as the Amex Plat has no travel insurance coverage if you are flying on an Aeroplan reward ticket.
Thanks, wasn't aware of that. It's usually automatically Amex as it is the first option of my saved cards.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
the logical option is to OLCI with 0 bag, and line up for the bag drop at the airport - the only option online is to pay, and it's always difficult to get your money back.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by beep88
the logical option is to OLCI with 0 bag, and line up for the bag drop at the airport - the only option online is to pay, and it's always difficult to get your money back.
Yes, this is the most efficient way to do it.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks, wasn't aware of that. It's usually automatically Amex as it is the first option of my saved cards.
We charge all revenue and reward tickets to Amex as well. But we have separate, multi-trip medical/trip cancellation insurance that will cover reward travel. Just as well because we are so annoyed with TD Aeroplan that we will be cancelling the cards this Dec. And, yes we were sold.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Murphy123
We charge all revenue and reward tickets to Amex as well. But we have separate, multi-trip medical/trip cancellation insurance that will cover reward travel. Just as well because we are so annoyed with TD Aeroplan that we will be cancelling the cards this Dec. And, yes we were sold.
The new CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Privilege card has very good insurance coverage, including pre-trip cancellation protection (for covered events) and post-departure travel insurance coverage that also includes travel on an Aeroplan reward ticket.

The pre-departure cancellation protection coverage is $2,500 per person up to $10,000, i.e., 4 persons. This is better than Amex Plat. Amex Plat's travel insurance does not cover travel on an Aeroplan reward ticket.

https://www.cibc.com/ca/pdf/visa/aer...ome-kit-en.pdf

(Pre-departure cancellation insurance does not protect the points used to redeem the reward ticket.)

Last edited by Clipper801; Aug 22, 2014 at 5:59 am
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I did pay for the taxes for my reward tickets with my AMEX. ; I have a feeling that if I would have used my Visa at the time of booking the tickets, that may have been able to trigger some code for the boarding pass (I believe others posted that their boarding pass had a code AP*CC or something which may identify them. Also, my wife who is booked on my reservation with my aeroplan points may not get the benefit , even though she is a separate Aerogold Visa Infinite Card holder. I guess I will take my chances with the agent after my web check-in with 0 bags and see what happens!
I'll update after my flight this weekend. (Also my experience with AC Rouge---not looking forward to that!)
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:57 am

Thanks for your replies. I did pay for the taxes for my reward tickets with my AMEX. ; I have a feeling that if I would have used my Visa at the time of booking the tickets, that may have been able to trigger some code for the boarding pass (I believe others posted that their boarding pass had a code AP*CC or something which may identify them. Also, my wife who is booked on my reservation with my aeroplan points may not get the benefit , even though she is a separate Aerogold Visa Infinite Card holder. I guess I will take my chances with the agent after my web check-in with 0 bags and see what happens!
I'll update after my flight this weekend. (Also my experience with AC Rouge---not looking forward to that!)
Here're the rules for CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite card: (NOT CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Privilege card)
"11 The primary cardholder will receive one complimentary checked bag, up to 23kg (50lbs), whenever traveling on a ClassicFlight or Market Fare Flight Reward on all flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge. Flights operated by other airlines are not eligible. Benefit only applies when the primary cardholder has booked their Aeroplan flight reward by redeeming the miles from their Aeroplan account. Benefit does not apply to any companion travellers, including companions traveling in the same reservation as the primary cardholder. Service charges for additional/oversized/overweight baggage may also apply. You may be required to show your CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Card to the Air Canada airport agent in order to receive this benefit. Primary cardholder will be eligible for this benefit two weeks after receiving their CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Card."

Last edited by Clipper801; Aug 22, 2014 at 9:35 am
Old Aug 23, 2014, 7:28 am
Original Poster

An Update

I did OLCI today, but I only put 1 bag that I was going to have to pay for anyway; No baggage fee was required and my boarding pass has AC*CC under the Frequent Flyer section. So somehow the computer knows...For this transaction from booking to OLCI, the Visa has not been used; AMEX was used for taxes and fees.

Last edited by ixmnrs; Aug 23, 2014 at 7:33 am Reason: Corrected Info
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:28 pm

An Update

I did OLCI today, but I only put 1 bag that I was going to have to pay for anyway; No baggage fee was required and my boarding pass has AC*CC under the Frequent Flyer section. So somehow the computer knows...For this transaction from booking to OLCI, the Visa has not been used; AMEX was used for taxes and fees.
No, you don't have to pay for your 1st bag so long as it is under 23kgs and you're flying on an Aeroplan reward ticket on AC -> CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite.

You should be able to claim a refund from AC.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Definitely claim a refund. I did and was refunded within 2 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.