AC pet policy

Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:40 am
Original Poster

AC pet policy

Hi everyone,

My wife needs to cross the Atlantic with our dog on a regular basis (monthly).

ACs pet policy allows him in the cabin because he fits in a carry-on sized soft sided kennel. All good.

Recently I'm advised that pets will not be permitted on 3 cabin aircraft. The agent I spoke to could not explain the rationale.

Is anyone aware of the reason? I'm growing concerned as I believe AC have the intention to retrofit long haul aircraft for a 3 cabin service.

Cargo is not an option for our dog. Will we be forced to switch airlines?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:00 am

3 cabin - looks like it is specifically referring to the 77W

Also, because of cabin configuration, you cannot bring your pet in the cabin when travelling:

In Premium Economy or International Business Class
On one of our three-cabin Boeing 777-300ER (77W) aircraft

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...-in-cabin.html
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by mromalley
3 cabin - looks like it is specifically referring to the 77W

Also, because of cabin configuration, you cannot bring your pet in the cabin when travelling:

In Premium Economy or International Business Class
On one of our three-cabin Boeing 777-300ER (77W) aircraft

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...-in-cabin.html
Most likely the 'cabin configuration' translates to smaller seats and less under seat storage room. Therefore, the kennel would not fit under the seat in front of you. Just a guess.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I wonder if this will extend to all 777s when they're retrofit starting next year.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by dodgy73
Recently I'm advised that pets will not be permitted on 3 cabin aircraft. The agent I spoke to could not explain the rationale.

Is anyone aware of the reason?
Yes, the underseat storage on 777HD aircraft is too small. Regular-sized carry-on bags cannot fit. Since you cannot put a pet in the overhead bin, there is no physical space for a pet travelling in a carry-on sized container on the 777HD.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AC*E75, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
The only saving grace of the 777HD might be this policy. Sitting anywhere near a cat/dog on a 14 hour flight is my idea of a nightmare. Bad enough when I catch them on a 5 hour transcon flight. Pets belong below the plane and not filling the bad enough quality air with allergens.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by todd-r
Most likely the 'cabin configuration' translates to smaller seats and less under seat storage room. Therefore, the kennel would not fit under the seat in front of you. Just a guess.
I expect it's 2 separate cases.

In J on the 777HD there isn't a 'below the seat' to put them in so they can't be there (same policy applies to non-HD 777).

In PE, there is space under the non-bulkhead seats for an animal. However, IIRC, their allergy policy requires that they block a few rows around an allergy sufferer. As there are only 3 rows of PE, this would create a situation where the cabin could not provide both allergy-free and pet friendly seats on a given flight. Therefore, cutting the option for pets solves that problem.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by dodgy73
Hi everyone,

My wife needs to cross the Atlantic with our dog on a regular basis (monthly).

ACs pet policy allows him in the cabin because he fits in a carry-on sized soft sided kennel. All good.

Is anyone aware of the reason? I'm growing concerned as I believe AC have the intention to retrofit long haul aircraft for a 3 cabin service.

Cargo is not an option for our dog. Will we be forced to switch airlines?
I feel sorry for your dog. Why is there a need to travel overseas with your pet? The stress of travelling such a long distance is bad enough.. and I know many international airlines will not let a pet in the cabin , no matter what size even if it fits under the seat.

Do your pet a favour and leave it in Canada.

Meanwhile, check Ac's rules on entry into the EU (except UK where it is not permitted)

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...gulations.html

Having said that, I know KLM are good with pets (though in the cargo hold).

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Aug 21, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I feel sorry for your dog. Why is there a need to travel overseas with your pet? The stress of travelling such a long distance is bad enough.. and I know many international airlines will not let a pet in the cabin , no matter what size even if it fits under the seat.

Do your pet a favour and leave it in Canada.

Meanwhile, check Ac's rules on entry into the EU (except UK where it is not permitted)

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...gulations.html

Having said that, I know KLM are good with pets (though in the cargo hold).
Agreed. First thing I thought of. If you were relocating to Europe and needed to fly your dog that would be one thing, but once a month would be too much and too hard on your pup.

You did not mention how long your wife would be in Europe. I would be looking for a good dog boarder if you do not already have one. Fortunately, we do have an excellent dog boarder in Toronto - runs a day care, brings the dogs to work with her and takes them home at night. Qualified to dispense meds etc., bonded and insured. Believes in leashes. Our dog comes home happy and healthy. It is all about the dog. I wouldn't put him in a kennel - has to be a home type of environment with people he loves - and he does. Is it cheap - no. But then having a pet sure isn't cheap these days.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:19 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by Murphy123
Agreed. First thing I thought of. If you were relocating to Europe and needed to fly your dog that would be one thing, but once a month would be too much and too hard on your pup.

You did not mention how long your wife would be in Europe. I would be looking for a good dog boarder if you do not already have one. Fortunately, we do have an excellent dog boarder in Toronto - runs a day care, brings the dogs to work with her and takes them home at night. Qualified to dispense meds etc., bonded and insured. Believes in leashes. Our dog comes home happy and healthy. It is all about the dog. I wouldn't put him in a kennel - has to be a home type of environment with people he loves - and he does. Is it cheap - no. But then having a pet sure isn't cheap these days.
^
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Seaner
The only saving grace of the 777HD might be this policy. Sitting anywhere near a cat/dog on a 14 hour flight is my idea of a nightmare. Bad enough when I catch them on a 5 hour transcon flight. Pets belong below the plane and not filling the bad enough quality air with allergens.
I would rather an animal than some of the pax I have had the misfortune of being close to in my cabin.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I would gladly sit next to a pet on an airplane any day over a bratty kid!

You don't want to check a pet on AC. They have a history of losing and killing them!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Have you looked at Lufthansa?

https://www.lufthansa.com/online/myp...204&NOSSO=true
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
You don't want to check a pet on AC. They have a history of losing and killing them!
Killing them? That is a really harsh and unfair comment.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by yvr76
Killing them? That is a really harsh and unfair comment.
http://www.cftktv.com/news/story.aspx?ID=1979145

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...dead-1.2253008

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/09...-canada-flight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.