Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
Potential issue when E75k members select Preferred Seats

As you may know, we have recently introduced an expanded Preferred Seats product. It has come to our attention that certain Altitude Elite 75K members, when travelling on a Flex fare and attempting to select a Preferred Seat, are being prompted for a fee. We will be proactively refunding any affected eligible customers, however should this affect your ability to reserve Preferred Seats, you can contact Air Canada.

We are actively working on fixing this error, and are confident it will be resolved by the beginning of next week. For more information regarding Preferred Seats eligibility, please visit:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/traveller/seatselection/preferredseats.html

Starting April 7, 2014, Air Canada expanded the number of Preferred Seats offered across its narrow-body fleet, that is, the E75, E90, A319, A320 and A321 aircraft.

With more Preferred Seats being available, customers can:
• Enjoy more comfort, with up to 4” (more in the exit row) of additional leg room, more legroom to stretch out, relax and work
• Easily identify Preferred Seats in the cabin with the dedicated head tidies
• Deplane quickly as most Preferred Seats are located to the front of the cabin seats with additional leg room
• Ask your travel agent to make Preferred Seat selection for GDS bookings

Air Canada’s entire mainline narrow-body fleet, as well as Embraer 175 aircraft, operating on behalf of SkyRegional, has now been re-configured with additional Preferred Seats.

Air Canada will implement the following changes to the Preferred Seat program in phases:

Phase 1:
• Starting August 15, 2014, eligibility for Preferred Seats will be streamlined based on status or fare paid.

• Preferred Seats purchased on/after August 15, will be calculated by segment vs by bound (i.e. from origin to destination). Therefore if a customer has an itinerary YYZ-YYC-YVR, the Preferred Seat fee will be calculated based on the amount for each segment. (Prior to August 15, the fee would have been calculated for the entire YYZ-YVR journey as one fee.) This ensures better access to Preferred Seats on each segment, as it's not always easy to guarantee seating on an an entire journey, especially if there is an IROP or aircraft downgauge.

• Preferred Seats will remain accessible to everyone when the flight is open for check-in, as it is today.

Phase 2:
• Later this summer, Preferred Seats will be sold during the check-in window at kiosk, web and mobile applications.

Also, as of today, you can now book Preferred Seats for Flight Pass bookings.

Eligibility for Complimentary Preferred Seat Selection:

Fees for Preferred Seats:
North American & Caribbean: $19 to $99
International: $69 to $199

Note the price will differ based on Tango vs Flex fares. With regards to the previous fee table, some routes offer less expensive Preferred Seats while others have gone up in price.
Print Wikipost

Expanded Access to Preferred Seats

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by bakersdozen
It really is sad how 50k's get lumped in with 35ks here and how 75ks get lumped in with 50ks in other scenarios. Sad that AC would rather charge their 50k folks. One day this mentality will hurt all of us. And so much for lifetime elite. Ben's wording of expanded is laughable as well. He thinks you guys are all idiots.
Yes AC's mantra is of late: instead of raising the value for all elites (i.e. offering free selection at tiered windows on any purchase), we will reward some and screw the rest (i.e. having to pay for flex to get a decent seat).

Reminds me of this quote: ''I am not my fare!''
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:18 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Official announcement is coming tomorrow, but this has to do with expanded access to the Preferred seats.
Expand is the new enhance.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:24 am

Looked at the AirCanada site.
Tango now gets free standard seat selection except for Canada and Canada/US (ie free to the Caribbean, Europe etc)?
Can't look how much a preferred seat costs until the ticket is bought? (There is a substantial range listed)
Is the fee per segment or per direction? Big print says segment, small print says direction
There are flights where only preferred seats are open. What happens to a flex flight purchase for seat selection?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: AC*Tangerine
From the FAQ:
I paid for a Preferred (or rouge Plus) seat was reassigned to another seat. Will I be refunded?

If you purchase a Preferred or rouge Plus seat but are reassigned by Air Canada to another seat prior to check-in, at the airport or on board the plane, you may request a refund for your Preferred or rouge Plus seat charges.
The onus should not be on the customer to request a refund when the paid for service is not provided.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:30 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by painintheuk
Edit: Reading the webpage, this is also a downgraded benefit on any Boeing plane, even within Canada. Do 50k no longer get bulkhead access on all North American flights? Is this is what is meant by "select" bulkhead seats? To be fair, "bulkhead" is pretty terrible on the Airbus planes in any case, though I haven't been in that seat for almost a year.
There's no longer a difference between bulkhead and exit rows; they are all considered as Preferred Seats along with the new section added on the E75/E90/A319/A320/A321. So on a flight within NA, an E50K will get access to all on a Flex fare or higher.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by i59bravo
From the FAQ:

The onus should not be on the customer to request a refund when the paid for service is not provided.
Agree!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:23 am
Suspended

For SE his is a win. For MM lifetime E50, this makes putting a million miles with Air Canada a bit of a joke. I hope AC considers updating the lifetime status to E75. And if I have to put in another million miles just to get E50 for a friend, I think maybe it's not worth the hassle at all.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Here's the link:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...rredseats.html
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:47 am
Flying Blue Director

Expanded Access to Preferred Seats

Starting April 7, 2014, Air Canada expanded the number of Preferred Seats offered across its narrow-body fleet, that is, the E75, E90, A319, A320 and A321 aircraft.

With more Preferred Seats being available, customers can:
• Enjoy more comfort, with up to 4” (more in the exit row) of additional leg room, more legroom to stretch out, relax and work
• Easily identify Preferred Seats in the cabin with the dedicated head tidies
• Deplane quickly as most Preferred Seats are located to the front of the cabin seats with additional leg room
• Ask your travel agent to make Preferred Seat selection for GDS bookings

Air Canada’s entire mainline narrow-body fleet, as well as Embraer 175 aircraft, operating on behalf of SkyRegional, has now been re-configured with additional Preferred Seats.

Air Canada will implement the following changes to the Preferred Seat program in phases:

Phase 1:
• Starting August 15, 2014, eligibility for Preferred Seats will be streamlined based on status or fare paid.

• Preferred Seats purchased on/after August 15, will be calculated by segment vs by bound (i.e. from origin to destination). Therefore if a customer has an itinerary YYZ-YYC-YVR, the Preferred Seat fee will be calculated based on the amount for each segment. (Prior to August 15, the fee would have been calculated for the entire YYZ-YVR journey as one fee.) This ensures better access to Preferred Seats on each segment, as it's not always easy to guarantee seating on an an entire journey, especially if there is an IROP or aircraft downgauge.

• Preferred Seats will remain accessible to everyone when the flight is open for check-in, as it is today.

Phase 2:
• Later this summer, Preferred Seats will be sold during the check-in window at kiosk, web and mobile applications.

Also, as of today, you can now book Preferred Seats for Flight Pass bookings.

Eligibility for Complimentary Preferred Seat Selection:

Fees for Preferred Seats:
North American & Caribbean: $19 to $99
International: $69 to $199

Note the price will differ based on Tango vs Flex fares. With regards to the previous fee table, some routes offer less expensive Preferred Seats while others have gone up in price.

Last edited by Ben Lipsey; Aug 15, 2014 at 9:07 am
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:20 am

New changes/policy posted by Ben today

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...red-seats.html
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
What about Star Alliance Gold members?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:34 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Have the aircraft actually been physically "re-configured" to provide more seats with additional room?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by shore9
What about Star Alliance Gold members?
*A Gold never had FREE access to AC Preferred Seats

In comparison, no free UA E+ either as that's UA's own Elite benefit (some have got them, but it's YMMV)
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:53 am
Suspended

Aeroplan Seats

Aeroplan Seat selection worked this morning, and even didn't try to charge for preferred seating. Maybe a fluke, but hopefully this issue is fixed with the updated seat selection infrastructure
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AC*E50, AE dBlack, Club Carlson Concierge, NEXUS
So if I'm understanding this right, in Phase 2 Preferred Seats will cost money to select even at check-in?
How exactly is that beneficial to us?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.