Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
Potential issue when E75k members select Preferred Seats

As you may know, we have recently introduced an expanded Preferred Seats product. It has come to our attention that certain Altitude Elite 75K members, when travelling on a Flex fare and attempting to select a Preferred Seat, are being prompted for a fee. We will be proactively refunding any affected eligible customers, however should this affect your ability to reserve Preferred Seats, you can contact Air Canada.

We are actively working on fixing this error, and are confident it will be resolved by the beginning of next week. For more information regarding Preferred Seats eligibility, please visit:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/traveller/seatselection/preferredseats.html

Starting April 7, 2014, Air Canada expanded the number of Preferred Seats offered across its narrow-body fleet, that is, the E75, E90, A319, A320 and A321 aircraft.

With more Preferred Seats being available, customers can:
• Enjoy more comfort, with up to 4” (more in the exit row) of additional leg room, more legroom to stretch out, relax and work
• Easily identify Preferred Seats in the cabin with the dedicated head tidies
• Deplane quickly as most Preferred Seats are located to the front of the cabin seats with additional leg room
• Ask your travel agent to make Preferred Seat selection for GDS bookings

Air Canada’s entire mainline narrow-body fleet, as well as Embraer 175 aircraft, operating on behalf of SkyRegional, has now been re-configured with additional Preferred Seats.

Air Canada will implement the following changes to the Preferred Seat program in phases:

Phase 1:
• Starting August 15, 2014, eligibility for Preferred Seats will be streamlined based on status or fare paid.

• Preferred Seats purchased on/after August 15, will be calculated by segment vs by bound (i.e. from origin to destination). Therefore if a customer has an itinerary YYZ-YYC-YVR, the Preferred Seat fee will be calculated based on the amount for each segment. (Prior to August 15, the fee would have been calculated for the entire YYZ-YVR journey as one fee.) This ensures better access to Preferred Seats on each segment, as it's not always easy to guarantee seating on an an entire journey, especially if there is an IROP or aircraft downgauge.

• Preferred Seats will remain accessible to everyone when the flight is open for check-in, as it is today.

Phase 2:
• Later this summer, Preferred Seats will be sold during the check-in window at kiosk, web and mobile applications.

Also, as of today, you can now book Preferred Seats for Flight Pass bookings.

Eligibility for Complimentary Preferred Seat Selection:

Fees for Preferred Seats:
North American & Caribbean: $19 to $99
International: $69 to $199

Note the price will differ based on Tango vs Flex fares. With regards to the previous fee table, some routes offer less expensive Preferred Seats while others have gone up in price.
Print Wikipost

Expanded Access to Preferred Seats

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
This entire rollout is annoying me. Why does AC have to make this so complicated? Just do what UA does with E+! Top Elites and their families get the preferred seats at booking, Prestige and E35K at check in with just one companion when on any fare below Latitude. Lat should be free for all, considering the price of Y/B fares.

I don't appreciate booking a Q or H fare a couple days before departure and getting put in 29C on an A320, while 12-15 are all empty. So far I've been lucky with OLCI and getting a preferred seat at check in, but is this changing to where this will cost me soon?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Sigh, when the race to ancillary revenue starts to include an airline's own elites, loyalty will surely decline. My *G status comes through United, so this is a definite loss to not be able to book bulkheads on AC.

Ultimately, if an airline devalues its loyalty tiers enough, elites will just start spreading their flying out more and buying the cheapest fares. Maybe they can get more ancillary revenue, but then they lose out on the underlying purchasing power of the fare in the first place. Namely, loyal elites are willing to spend more on the base fare to keep their elite status. Then again, in Canada, there's just not a ton of choices.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:01 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by astroflyer
Sigh, when the race to ancillary revenue starts to include an airline's own elites, loyalty will surely decline. My *G status comes through United, so this is a definite loss to not be able to book bulkheads on AC.

Ultimately, if an airline devalues its loyalty tiers enough, elites will just start spreading their flying out more and buying the cheapest fares. Maybe they can get more ancillary revenue, but then they lose out on the underlying purchasing power of the fare in the first place. Namely, loyal elites are willing to spend more on the base fare to keep their elite status. Then again, in Canada, there's just not a ton of choices.
If I recall, as an AC *G, I cannot get E+ on UA neither.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by astroflyer

I agree that Elites will move. I used to avoid Westjet like the plague! Now, if I feel that AC is too expensive or Westjet has a better schedule, I'll fly with them. Priority check in is useless with OLCI, priority security is covered with nexus (always recognized whereas Elite lines are closed half the time), lounge access can be bought for 25$ at most airports with PPLs, upgrades are next to impossible on AC anyways, carry on only travel removes the need for free baggage...so for priority boarding, AC within Canada isn't worth it.

When all these services were "Exlcusive," AC had an edge. AA is expanding into Canada, Delta is making money, and AC keeps annoying Elites. Not smart.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by nave888
and AC keeps annoying Elites. Not smart.
Obviously to AC, 2 X 50 << 100
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:39 pm

Precisely. What I don't get is the move to annoy internationally-flying elites more than those who primarily fly in North America. The former have more options than the latter.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:25 am
Suspended

The main problem is that AC executives want to write their own business bible and ignore good advice from guys like KW or their most frequent customers at their own peril.

The other problem is the bonus structure which probably favours short term profits over long term loyalty. Imagine what AC would be like if executives were bonuses on SE or 50K retention numbers!

The these problem is the evils Aeroplan contract (of course when entered generating tons of bonuses to some).

So, it's like the holy trinity of ignorance, arrogance and greed.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Precisely. What I don't get is the move to annoy internationally-flying elites more than those who primarily fly in North America. The former have more options than the latter.
A couple of thoughts come to mind
1) If you are 'only' flying a total of 50k/year, there aren't that many options to give you the same benefits as AC. (Depends where you live I know, but from YYC, after moving jobs and falling to prestige last year, I started with other airlines, but have ended up back at 50k..)

2) Someone who gets to 50k flying short flights probably pays AC a lot more than someone who does it flying TPAC/TATL. If I pick a random saturday 1 month from now: there are 11 flights YYC-YYZ, close to 1500 seats, 200 preferred, flex is $402 one way. 1 week return trip $804 for flying you 3300 miles. Continuing on to LHR (with 9 ex-free-to-elite front bulkhead seats), price goes up to $1515 to fly 10400 miles rtn.

3) Given that a flex ticket YYC-YYZ can be %60 more than Tango and only has value to someone collecting miles or trying to upgrade, not clear to me that N.American elites from a couple of years ago haven't been screwed over too

I can see a reasoning for doing it, don't agree with it, don't see much of an alternative...

Last edited by yeg2where; Aug 28, 2014 at 12:17 pm Reason: can't do math...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by yeg2where
A couple of thoughts come to mind
1) If you are 'only' flying a total of 50k/year, there aren't that many options to give you the same benefits as AC.
Sure, but what are those benefits?

- MLL access.
- NA upgrades (so far 1/6 cleared on Flex fares).
- NA preferred seats.
- Priority boarding (for what it's worth).
- Priority check-in / security.

Stop.

Priority check-in is of little value. Priority security is worthless with Nexus. If you fly mostly international, all you get is MLL access. Save yourself the Tango / Flex difference and you will quickly cover the Amex Plat annual fee, for much better benefits.

If you fly mostly NA, there's still sight value in E50K. If you fly mostly international, there's virtually none.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:49 am
Suspended

- MLL access.
- NA preferred seats.

Stop.

Priority check-in is of little value. Priority security is worthless with Nexus. If you fly mostly international, all you get is MLL access. Save yourself the Tango / Flex difference and you will quickly cover the Amex Plat annual fee, for much better benefits.

If you fly mostly NA, there's still sight value in E50K. If you fly mostly international, there's virtually none.
Baggage allowance is a big deal for me
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:45 am

- MLL access.
- NA preferred seats.

Stop.

On top of aforementioned luggage,

*G especially *G lounge access is another for me.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by tireman77
On top of aforementioned luggage,

*G especially *G lounge access is another for me.
Depends on your routes/purchasing patterns obviously, but the Tango/Flex differential is so great now that for many pax it will easily cover luggage/lounge etc (or get A3 gold if the status works for you). For the majority of pax (but not all) I have a hard time seeing any value whatsoever in anything below SE.

AC's logic that SE=good, but E50=worthless seems so simplistic. As one of the Bens indicated, AC has E50s that spend a lot more than some SEs - and yet the benefits for many E50s are pretty much worthless for many customers.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
Depends on your routes/purchasing patterns obviously, but the Tango/Flex differential is so great now that for many pax it will easily cover luggage/lounge etc (or get A3 gold if the status works for you). For the majority of pax (but not all) I have a hard time seeing any value whatsoever in anything below SE.

AC's logic that SE=good, but E50=worthless seems so simplistic. As one of the Bens indicated, AC has E50s that spend a lot more than some SEs - and yet the benefits for many E50s are pretty much worthless for many customers.
I could never fly anywhere near what it takes to get to SE, so I have to look at what I can get versus what I cannot get. Comparing what SE gets is fruitless in my situation. What I get as an E50k versus what I could get from other programmes from airlines I use is the logical comparison.

As for A3, I would feel like a hypocrite using a carrier I have no intention of flying on as my main programme...but that's just me.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Off an Aeroplan reward that a friend booked:

YVR-YYZ : $50 (mainline)
YYZ-SJO : $40 (rouge)

The segment based pricing has definitely increased the cost!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Off an Aeroplan reward that a friend booked:

YVR-YYZ : $50 (mainline)
YYZ-SJO : $40 (rouge)

The segment based pricing has definitely increased the cost!
Unless one doesn't want extra legroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.