Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge Flight Report and Feedback Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This thread is for Air Canada rouge flight reports and feedback after flying rouge, not a general debate thread about the rouge brand, staff, equipment, etc. which should be directed to the master rouge thread which is here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:08 pm

1898 today is off to a stellar start. The crew has made the entire aircraft nut free based on a request as someone boarded, completely ignoring AC's allergy policy. Then they stood in the galley making fun of passenger names. Now we are waiting while the IC deals with "a women who wants to make a big fuss about a bag falling on her head."

Can I send the crew back to their high school now and get a real one?

Edit: Now off-loading the family. Lovely. Thankfully this is just a connecting flight to start an FCO ticket so I'm on the same plane back.

Final:
Flight/Origin-Destination: AC1898 YVR-LAS
Date: 22-Aug-2014
Cabin: Premium Rouge

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? OLCI on iPhone. Passbook worked.
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Arrived late at gate. No priority lane enforced.
If there was a delay, did the gate agent provide timely updates? N/A

Onboard - Premium rouge cabin:
Were the crew professional & well groomed? Well groomed, professionalism noted above.
If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates? Yes, Captain kept everyone up to date.
Did the IFE work as expected? Yes. Need more selection though.
Was a pre-departure beverage offered on the ground? Yes.
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Newspapers not offered. Orders taken front to back at T+20min in the air.
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected). T+25 to hot towels. T+35 to drinks. T+45 to cold towels picked up. +50 to meal served. +70 to meal completed. Final tray taken from pax after landing announcement made.
How was the quality of all the meals? Fine. Pretty darn close to ML.
Did the cabin crew continuously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? No offer of a refill.

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? N/A, no bags.

Overall experience/any other comments
Within NA, as long as its the only direct option with a 'premium' cabin, Rouge will continue to get my business because my time is more important than comfort for a fairly short flight. Any other time, they won't get a dime. But there should be no doubt, you are offering a truly garbage product on wings.

Last edited by rehoult; Aug 22, 2014 at 3:00 pm Reason: Continued.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://spendmatters.com/2014/08/22/a...rsonal-travel/
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:31 pm

Well, this could not be more different than the flight down (crew change in LAS)...

Flight/Origin-Destination: AC1897 LAS-YYC

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? OLCI on PC was fine.
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Arrived late at gate. No priority lane enforced.

Were the crew professional & well groomed? Spectacular crew, could not say enough good about them.
If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates? N/A
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Newspaper and menus distributed on ground. Orders taken just before push-back.
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected). +10 to hot towels. +15 to drinks. +30 to meal served. +45 to meal completed.
How was the quality of all the meals? Fine, can’t see any difference between ML and Rouge.
Did the cabin crew continiously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? Yup!

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? N/A, no bags.

Absolutely lovely experience, the IC introduced herself to everyone in the J cabin while taking food/iPad orders. Were proactive in topping up beverages, nuts and any other request throughout the flight. Seat still sucks, but the soft product was great.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
My first rouge flight

Flight/Origin-Destination:AC 1845 SFO-YVR
Date: 18 August 2014
Cabin: J

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? Agents at SFO can be hit or miss. Today was a good day - no wait in the priority line, agent said flight would be delayed due to late inbound caused by the SFO WX GDP. Not unexpected for a morning departure.
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Yes, it was of 'normal efficiency' for AC.
If there was a delay, did the gate agent provide timely updates? Yes - both check in and gate agents provided timely updates.

Were the crew professional & well groomed? Yes - I was actually quite impressed with the 'rouge crew' on the flight. They looked well put together, hats and all. And despite being young, they were cheerful and eager, and seemed confident in performing their duties.
If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates? N/A - delay was due to inbound. No further delays once boarding started.
Did the IFE work as expected? Yes and No. Depsite running the latest iOS 7.1.2 and latest AC app 3.20 on my iPad air, I could not play content in the app (said 'Bandwidth allocation error'). Loading up the browser worked fine though. Needs more content (in line with mainline) and the Airshow Moving Map.
Was a pre-departure beverage offered on the ground? Yes - Water and OJ
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? No newspapers. Meal orders taken shortly after take off (when FA went to close curtain to Y). I was asked first (in row 3), but not sure if it was because I was SE or because the FA happened to be at row 3.
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected) Orders T+10, Hot Towels T+15, Drinks T+20, Meal Served T+30, Meal Picked up T+45.
How was the quality of all the meals? Same as mainline.
Did the cabin crew continiously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? Yes - asked at beginning, asked when meal tray was served, when meal tray was picked up, and one more time during the flight.

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? Sort of. Itinerary was SFO-YVR-YYZ connecting to AC102. Flight got to the gate around 13:01 and started deplaning by 13:04... luggage on the belt in YVR around 13:24, so not totally unreasonable. Leaving the customs hall was another matter. There were at least 2-3 flights from Asia that had recently arrived, and the queue to exit to the AC domestic connections area was about 300+ people deep, each with at least 3 bags each and CBSA had 1 officer collecting cards and asking them questions. With a 14:15 departure, I elected instead to walk out the regular exit and walk back to the domestic check-in area to re-check my bag. If I stood in the domestic connections exit line I don't think I would have made it.

Luggage upon arrival in YYZ was another story. AC1136 was delayed and arrived about 15 mins ahead of us (both 77Ws) and YYZ put both flights on the the same carousel. Took about 45 min to get my bag. (Not rouge specific but just thought I would mention)

Seats

While I would prefer regular J seats, I'm used to this configuration on LH for flights of similar length so I'm OK with it. Legroom in J and row 4 Y is fine. I also found the seats to be reasonably comfortable (not as much as mainline, but better than what LH has and what UA has recently put it in its 320s).

Regular Y is another story. During boarding I snuck back to row 12 to see what 29" pitch is like and could barely get into the seat, and when I did I was very wedged in. (I'm about 183cm tall with long legs). It was not easy for me to get out of the seat either and wonder what would happen in an emergency. I will not fly in these seats.

Pitch needs to be improved in Y. At the very minimum a row in front of the exit rows should be removed and the other rows re-spaced to 35" and sold as preferred. I don't like that there are only 6 reasonable seats to choose from on a Y fare.

IFE

Need to fix issues with the app as most people who are not tech savvy like myself might not have tried the browser and simply given up.

Needs more selection to be equivalent to mainline as well as more recent movies.

Needs Airshow Moving Map or equivalent (as the interface is web-based, I don't see this being that challenging to implement. As long as there is something to see current position, alitude, airspeed, distance travelled, distance remaning, time remaining and arrival time it would be be great).

A319s need power plugs. If you are going to offer IFE in this manner, customers need a way to power their devices, especially on longer flights (i.e. YYZ-PHX, YYZ-SAN etc.). Not having power is a huge step back from mainline.

Will I fly rouge again?

Not been on a rouge 763, so for a rouge A319:

On flights up to 3 hours block time, I will consider rouge providing I am in J or rouge plus Row 4. Otherwise, no.

Longer flights (i.e. YYZ-PHX, YYZ-SAN) I will consider (and have taken) other options. Rouge only as a last resort.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by rehoult
1898 today is off to a stellar start. The crew has made the entire aircraft nut free based on a request as someone boarded, completely ignoring AC's allergy policy. Then they stood in the galley making fun of passenger names. Now we are waiting while the IC deals with "a women who wants to make a big fuss about a bag falling on her head."

Can I send the crew back to their high school now and get a real one?

Edit: Now off-loading the family. Lovely. Thankfully this is just a connecting flight to start an FCO ticket so I'm on the same plane back.

Final:
Flight/Origin-Destination: AC1898 YVR-LAS

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? OLCI on iPhone. Passbook worked.

Were the crew professional & well groomed? Well groomed, professionalism noted above.
If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates? Yes, Captain kept everyone up to date.
Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Newspapers not offered. Orders taken front to back at T+20min in the air.
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected). T+25 to hot towels. T+35 to drinks. T+45 to cold towels picked up. +50 to meal served. +70 to meal completed. Final tray taken from pax after landing announcement made.
How was the quality of all the meals? Fine. Pretty darn close to ML.
Did the cabin crew continuously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? No offer of a refill.

Post departure

Within NA, as long as its the only direct option with a 'premium' cabin, Rouge will continue to get my business because my time is more important than comfort for a fairly short flight. Any other time, they won't get a dime. But there should be no doubt, you are offering a truly garbage product on wings.

Wait a minute, was that woman in 2D? Was this yesterday?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Wait a minute, was that woman in 2D? Was this yesterday?
It was Friday, she was around row 20 I believe. I was in 2C.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by rehoult
It was Friday, she was around row 20 I believe. I was in 2C.
Never mind then, this also happened on our flight also, funny though, we got out ASAP and avoided the drama.

I had to ask as it sounded so familiar and there was another SE sitting in row 1
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: E35
Flight/Origin-Destination: 1860 YYZ-MCO
Date: August 24
Cabin: Y

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? No issues
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? No issues
If there was a delay, did the gate agent provide timely updates?

Onboard - rouge cabin:
Were the crew professional & well groomed? Seemed fine, if a bit snippy
If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates? N/a
Did the IFE work as expected? It was ok, as everyone else has said, the selection is pretty slim
Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service/Onboard cafe to begin? 1hr
How was the quality of the meal/Onboard cafe? N/a
Did the cabin crew offer water regularly throughout the flight? Nope

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? N/a

Two issues. The first was the safety briefing. There was one FA at the front of J, the next one was in line with the overwing exit. In row 13 you couldn't see the actual demo. Fine for me as I've seen them before, but I had made a deal to the kids that it was important to pay attention to the briefing and they couldn't see it.

Second is the lack of sick bags. One of the little ones got a bit queasy on approach. My wife ended up letting her use the plastic bag the En Route comes in (don't worry, we didn't put it back). I don't understand why they aren't being loaded on the planes.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:12 pm

Thanks to Ben for starting this thread. I'm a long time lurker here and figured it was time to provide some feedback with my Rouge experience.

For context, I'm a graduate student in archaeology, so I make the flight to Greece quite often. I generally go mainline from YYC or YYZ through FRA to ATH. I took the ATH-YYZ direct once before it was shifted to Rouge but generally avoided it due to lack of IFE.

This summer was my first time trying it again. The flight reviewed below was my inbound and I will be taking the return in a few weeks on September 14th.

Please note that my feelings towards the flight may have been tainted somewhat by a stellar experience in J from YEG to YYZ before hitting the Rouge part of the trip.

I'll also add that my experiences with the service industry are tempered from my own experiences working as a doorman and concierge at the Westin during my Master's degree studies. I'm therefore somewhat lenient and understanding but also know that it doesn't take much to maintain an air of decorum in one's job.

Basics
Flight/Origin-Destination: YYZ - ATH (Flight AC1900)
Date: Sunday, July 27
Cabin: Premium Rouge (seat

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient?

Yes. I checked in at YEG and the transfer at YYZ was fine. I spend approximately 3 hours in the International MML.

Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient?

Boarding was a bit of a mess. The plane was an hour late coming in from Lisbon so after I went down to the gate I went back to the MML for another 40 minutes and then came back to the gate. I guess I had just missed the priority boarding call and by that time the gate was SWARMED by everyone trying to shove onto the plane.

This is something I've found happens a lot on both this flight as well as YYC or YYZ to FRA. However, in the case of the FRA mainline flights, the priority lane is at least kept open or something like that. In the case of this Rouge flight, the priority lane was roped off. Indeed, the entire boarding area was a bit of a nightmare in terms of lane roping, etc.

I always feel for the gate staff on these international flights because so often people are swarming the gate and not waiting for their row, etc. However, it's not all that hard to have the priority lane open....I really hope this is something that gets tidied up. For reference, this was gate F77.

If there was a delay, did the gate agent provide timely updates?

Yes, one agent at the gate provided good updates on the delayed plane and then the time it would take to turn the plane around once it arrived at the gate.

Were the crew professional & well groomed?

Yes, no complaints here.

If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates?

N/A regarding onboard delays. None experienced.

Did the IFE work as expected?

Yes. It was great. The iPad sometimes reset but it was pretty easy to get back to where I was. The only complaint is that without a fast-forward button it was sometimes hard to drag the iPad player's progress bar 'dot' to the proper place exactly. Thus one generally has to re-watch five or so minutes unless you have excellent tactile abilities.

All around good selection of movies as well.

Was a pre-departure beverage offered on the ground?

Yes. I was late getting to my seat (see above about boarding) but the attendant was sure to get me.

Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)?

Newspapers offered shortly after boarding. Menus were on seat consoles between the two seats. My order was taken while on the ground if I remember correctly. Sorry - that part is a bit fuzzy in my memory banks.

Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected)

Maybe an hour? Honestly I didn't pay attention. It's a 10 hours flight. If anything, I like a drawn out meal service like in mainline J. I'm in no rush to get my meal right upon boarding the plane, especially after snacking in the MLL.

How was the quality of all the meals?

Very nice. No complaints.

Did the cabin crew continuously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight?

For the first five hours it was generally good. After that, an attendant was a rare sight to be seen. Three of them were generally on the other side of the curtain from me gossiping. One gal was knitting a scarf. I went up for a walk just to stretch once or twice and both times they reacted as if I had invaded their holy sanctum. Very different than on mainline where I often have some great chats with staff in the galley.

So, no, beverages were not topped off. Indeed, after the third hour of the flight I had to ask for a top off, which was once or twice met with a lot of surprise. Not sure why....the plane is my time off. I want to kick back with some wine and catch up on movies!

This ain't that hard to do. Check your watch and do a round every 10 minutes.

Post departure

If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time?

Yes, quick and efficient. Generally baggage service at Athens is great.

Overall I enjoyed the flight experience. The two major points that need to get addressed are the boarding issue at YYZ (although I dare say that boarding at ATH will also be a nightmare) and an air of professionalism from the staff.

The service director's announcements were somewhat childish, although not downright trite, for example. I'd also like to get a glass of wine during hour 6 of the flight without feeling like I'm pulling teeth. Very different than on mainline where I've often come back to my pod from the bathroom to find a fresh cup of coffee and cognac with a chocolate bar waiting for me!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://spendmatters.com/2014/08/25/a...deep-cleaning/
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: TG*Gold
wow
AC ? Honestly, nothing will surprise me anymore.
Some of Star Alliance partners know how to clean thier aircrafts. They even have TVC about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G7uev7iQ7E

Last edited by phrasuthon; Aug 26, 2014 at 5:03 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: American AAdvantage

Flight/Origin-Destination: DFW-BCN
Date: Aug 30 14

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? N/A as I checked in at DFW (AC7484).
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Yes, but they didn't clearly explain PE was able to priority board. They kept repeating the various statuses could board.

Were the crew professional & well groomed? Yes. Rachel and Alisa were cheerful, friendly and very helpful especially toward the non-tech savvy passengers. They made several announcements on how to download the app. They even suggested passengers use their phones as hotspots if they can't access the airport wifi.

Unfortunately, they did fail to follow through on several offers related to the initial beverage order and first meal service.

If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates? Right before departure time, the captain notified us that bags had to be removed due to passengers having improper documents. He didn't specify how long it would take. Half hour after departure time, he stated one out of two bags were found and unloaded. He notified the crew to get ready for departure about an hour after the scheduled departure time.

Did the IFE work as expected? The earbud plug doesn't fit properly with the iPad. It seems they are a few millimeters smaller.

Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Menus were distributed first and the newspapers at a later time. The meal and iPad orders were than on the ground while the bags were being offloaded.

Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected) 90min after take off.

How was the quality of all the meals? I was surprised Indian cuisine was served on a flight to a Spanish destination. The chicken biriyani tasted satisfactory.

Did the cabin crew continiously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? During the times I was awake, I don't recall noticing the crew in the cabin after meal service.

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? N/A

Sadly the seat was very uncomfortable and caused neck and back issues. Compared to the Premium Rouge seat, Economy seats (which I flew for international long-haul service) were far more enjoyable for sleep.

Not being able to listen to music until I received the iPad was a bit disconcerting for an international long-haul flight. It would have been nice if AC installed holders on the seat backs so the iPads could be placed there during the meal service.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Flight/Origin-Destination: AC 555 -> AC 1883 (flight was rouged after ticket was purchased) LAX-YVR
Date: May 11/14
Cabin: Premium

Pre departure
Was check in quick and efficient? Yes
Was priority boarding offered (if applicable to your status) and efficient? Yes

Were the crew professional & well groomed? Yes

If there was a delay, were you provided with timely updates? N/A

Did the IFE work as expected? No--FA had to fiddle around with the iPad

Was a pre-departure beverage offered on the ground? Yes

Were newspapers & menus distributed and meal orders taken (Please specify when meal orders were taken - on the ground or in the air)? Newspapers were never distributed; meal orders taken in the air

Approximately how long after take off did it take for the first meal service to be completed? (From takeoff to all items collected) 1h 15

How was the quality of all the meals? Average--standard NA meal

Did the cabin crew continiously top up the beverage of your choice throughout the flight? Yes, when I asked

Post departure
If you have checked baggage, did it arrive within reasonable period of time? Yes

Would not willingly fly on a rouge sector again--not especially comfortable and has a downmarket feel to it

Last edited by ylwae; Aug 31, 2014 at 11:54 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:41 am

Route: PUJ > YYZ
Date: 08/30

Forget seats, IFE, Food etc... My real issue is the way cabin crew and pilot handled extreme turbulence 2 hours from Toronto.

No warning other than the seat belt sign comes on and the FA's running for their seats. Of my 20+ years of flying I have NEVER experienced the sudden drop the aircraft took. The turbulence lasted about 2 minutes but seemed like forever. The only noise you could hear were passengers screaming and sobbing throughout the cabin.

Now, I don't take issue with AC for the turbulence itself, what I do take issue with is the fact that none of the crew made any announcements, even after the situation. The FA's came around to close some bins that had opened but never asked if anyone was OK, atleast they didn't ask the two women seated in front of me that were still weeping.

The pilot should have come on and made some sort of announcement but didn't.

It really left a bad impression that the crew were inexperienced
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: E35
Flight/Origin-Destination: 1869 MCO - YYZ
Date: August 31

Sick bags have returned...and are accompanied by a little card showing all the crafts you can do with it. You can make a mask or an octopus! I assume the intention is to do the crafts with an unused bag...

Only issue was the cabin lights by the emergency exit started flashing during the flight, which was annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.