First time flying AC: review

Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:08 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Post Thank You For Your Post

While I have never been a big fan of "coffin" style pods, I would be willing to try AC for international flights IF their reviews were better! It just seems to me that product is mediocre...

And since I pay for my own travel, I'll pick an airline that has better reviews...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:09 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by traacs
I to want to echo the same discontent with the cleanliness of the seating area. The magazine pocket can have all kinds of garbage in it from nuts to wrappers etc.
Also the occasional time that pillow cases were not replaced or on a flight with PODs that the blankets are not wrapped which would to me indicate that they have been used before.

Flying out of HNL back to YVR I must say that the plane is much cleaner than when it came out to HNL and I have experienced this at least 6 times in the last year.
Agreed. Rubbish left in seat backs is not acceptable.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:56 pm

Air Canada needs to invest in some portable dysons. Those machines do wonders.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
plane cleaning

Originally Posted by theseatbelt
Air Canada needs to invest in some portable dysons. Those machines do wonders.
Is it Air Canada staff that clean or is it contracted out?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:56 pm

Is it Air Canada staff that clean or is it contracted out?
Depends on the station I think, there is apparently an AC YVR groomer on this site so maybe people should ease up on reporting dirty aircraft ex-YVR
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:06 pm

You need to look at who is cleaning - a relative term these days BTW, as sticky substances, crumbs on floor and wrappers, tissues in seat pockets seem to becoming the norm these days - and then look at who is supervising, and of course, how little time the major airlines give them to do the job on a turn around. N America and Europe are equally bad, Asia is better IME (or maybe it's more a reflection of the carriers I fly in those regions).
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:59 pm

Generally planes are dirty, and not only Air Canada's. Emphasis is on fly time and therefore revenue and not clean time and expense. Just compare your own home, the number of people-hrs per square meter in it being active to these flying coffins and the respective time that is usually dedicated to cleaning each respectively.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:07 pm

Cleanliness

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Generally planes are dirty, and not only Air Canada's. Emphasis is on fly time and therefore revenue and not clean time and expense. Just compare your own home, the number of people-hrs per square meter in it being active to these flying coffins and the respective time that is usually dedicated to cleaning each respectively.
I would expect that sitting at the front with the extra cost to us they could clean it. I can get a good size home cleaned for $200.00 . How many square feet is in business class?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:28 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I would expect that sitting at the front with the extra cost to us they could clean it. I can get a good size home cleaned for $200.00 . How many square feet is in business class?
The problem, I assume, is more a question of turnaround time than cost.

If the inbound flight is late, it cuts into cleaning time to turn the plane around.

That's not an excuse, just an explanation for the probably reason.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Generally planes are dirty, and not only Air Canada's..
Some are dirtier than others. For instance, LH planes are typically spotless.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Some are dirtier than others. For instance, LH planes are typically spotless.
Agree LH and KLM are spotless compared to AC
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:59 pm

Turn time and OTP

Those are the major contributing factors regarding cleanliness, not an excuse but OTP is a major factor. I don't particularly agree but take the directives I'm given. I used to really enjoy doing a layover clean but the night shift was killing me hence the move to dayshift.

The pods do indeed need a soaking to get out all the crud in the cracks but again time is a factor. Last winter sked we'd be assigned HNL inbound, usually PVG outbound and yes indeed you had to actually soak the drink area and the hinge area of the tray to make it clean. Time is the main factor though.

Ramp Roscoe
YVR
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:13 pm

Agree, but no discrimination please..... if and when the plane is cleaned, the tail is done also......
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:17 pm

Agree LH and KLM are spotless compared to AC
No recent long haul experience on LH but short hops in Europe in the last few seasons did not impressed me much. On the other hand AC from YYC to YVR early in a day this past spring was super in all respects.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by ramp roscoe
Those are the major contributing factors regarding cleanliness, not an excuse but OTP is a major factor. I don't particularly agree but take the directives I'm given. I used to really enjoy doing a layover clean but the night shift was killing me hence the move to dayshift.

The pods do indeed need a soaking to get out all the crud in the cracks but again time is a factor. Last winter sked we'd be assigned HNL inbound, usually PVG outbound and yes indeed you had to actually soak the drink area and the hinge area of the tray to make it clean. Time is the main factor though.

Ramp Roscoe
YVR
Can't do a proper job if the bosses won't let you! All a matter of priorities. Pretty simple really...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.