Wiki Posts
Search

First time flying AC: review

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hot towel to clean pod area

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
This is my biggest complaint about the AC pods. I look forward to the hot towel service upon boarding so I can use it to clean my pod. We shouldn't have to do that.
Forget about only using the hot towel for this. I carry a ziplock bag of sanitizing wet wipes to clean everything... especially the touch screen. At the end of the process... they are filthy.

I've had other pax actually ask if they can use some for their own seat.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by YVR guy
Forget about only using the hot towel for this. I carry a ziplock bag of sanitizing wet wipes to clean everything... especially the touch screen. At the end of the process... they are filthy.

It's incredible that you can pay >$5k for a J seat but have to clean it yourself isn't it? I wonder what the Bens feel about that?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:56 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold

This sounds smart... great advice!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Just wanted to throw up a quick review of a first timer to the realm of AC.

I bought a pair of AC J tickets earlier 2014, back when Star Alliance had that crazy J sale to Europe.

Trip: MCO - YYZ on AC Rouge; YYZ - FCO on AC; FCO - YYZ on AC; YYZ - MCO on AC Rouge.

AC Rouge:

Overall, pleasantly surprised. Yeah, the J on those planes kinda sucks...very much an intra-Euro styled flight (blocked middle seat; regular seats for pax). What I was pleasantly surprised with was the staff. Happy is an understatement. They were cracking jokes on the intercom, bending over backwards for pax, remembering pax by name and destination, asking questions, etc. The hard product was nothing to write home about, but the soft product was at least an 8/10. Food wasn't Michelin star or anything, but for a 2.5 hour flight from FL to YYZ, I was shocked they'd serve anything at all that wasn't pre packed sandwiches and/or snacks.

AC:

Very, very, very disappointed, both in hard product and soft product. Easily the worst J seat, and worst J setup, I've ever been on.....I genuinely don't think they could have done a worse job if they tried. Never been a fan of DL's basic hard product, but AC's makes DL's look like Cathay Pacific! In full recline mode, the seat has a bar right behind your lower back. It's impossible to get comfortable. To make matters worse, the seat is too short. I'm exactly 6 feet...not huge, not short. I couldn't sit in the seat without my feet touching the end. Really bad...could get no sleep..

The soft product was even worse. The food was identical to AC Rouge (which is fine for a 2.5 hour US-CA flight). Basically the same meal but this time it was burnt and dry.

The staff was awful. Two long hauls and we had 1 nice person working the J cabin (they ended up moving him into Y and we never saw him again). Rude, inattentive, disrespectful, and sarcastic. It was almost like they didn't want to be there and had no interest in being a flight attendant.

Long story short:

I'd fly AC Rouge again for a flight under 3-4 hours.

Wouldn't fly AC on a TATL/TPAC ever again, even at $1.4k for J. Terrible.
Interesting post. I agree with your AC mainline comments.

I have been avoiding Rouge all this time but perhaps I will give them a try with my free Florida+ Pass credits.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pricesquire
It was almost like they didn't want to be there and had no interest in being a flight attendant.
The union will argue that the role of the FA is only pax safety and that anything extra you are asking for too much. Period.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:54 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
It's incredible that you can pay >$5k for a J seat but have to clean it yourself isn't it? I wonder what the Bens feel about that?
Is this an AC issue, or common to many/most carriers?

I can't say I've noticed other J cabins of similar age/wear to be any better.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:54 am
Flying Blue Director

I will definitely follow up with this. We do have standards of cleanliness, so I am very sorry if those standards were not met. Could I ask that you specify the flight date, so I can narrow it down? By PM or email is fine if you'd rather not mention it in public.

To the OP: I'm sorry you had an unfavourable experience on AC. As mentioned the lack of cleanliness is unacceptable, and while I can't change your opinion of the hard product (though I will say we do get many more positive reviews than negative ones), we always appreciate comments on how we can improve the soft product. I do hope you'll give us another chance in the future.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by tireman77
Is this an AC issue, or common to many/most carriers?

I can't say I've noticed other J cabins of similar age/wear to be any better.
Age & Wear is one thing. A number of posters have commented that the AC J pods are getting a bit tired & I'd agree with that. Dirt is quite another matter. As passengers we might be happy to sit in a worn but clean seat/pod. Sitting in a dirty one with some pax feeling the need to clean it themselves? Even if that happens on other airlines, it should be unacceptable, no?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
.......As mentioned the lack of cleanliness is unacceptable,....
This has been SOP for the past couple of years now. As others have mentioned, cleaning of the tables and seating has become a necessity, for both narrow body and wide body J area. The sad fact is that some not so clean people occupy these seats at times and leave them quite dirty and soiled by the end of their flight.

I suspect that due to the quick turn around times very little effort is given to any sort of cabin cleaning other than a light grooming to pick visible large items of trash and make sure the seat belts are properly placed. AC may have rules stating that more should performed as part of the cabin grooming procedures, the reality is that they are not being performed on a consistent basis.

Last edited by jaysona; Aug 13, 2014 at 10:16 am
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
I will definitely follow up with this. We do have standards of cleanliness, so I am very sorry if those standards were not met.
Ben it comes down to the groomers. As someone who used to be in ground handling/grooming management I know the shortcomings. It's something that's REALLY difficult to maintain a consistency/quality on. I'll board an AC aircraft in J or Y and it'll be virtually spotless, then the next time there's crumbs, sticky, garbage in the seat pocket, whatever. It's hit or miss. I'm not sure what AC does but I know WS will have their flight crew "groom" the aircraft on short turnarounds (<60 minutes usually) that works FAIRLY well. They used to call us if they needed a vacuuming or what have you.

That said, there's no reason that overnight the plane should start the day anything less than spotless. Any INTL turnaround as well since they are on the ground longer, but I'm sure you know that.

The groomers have a terrible terrible job, some passengers treat the plane like their personal garbage bin, but between better PAX behavior, and FA attentiveness DURING the flight, most garbage can be taken care of. 1 quick walk through of the plane during a turnaround as well by the FA will should indicate whether a vacuum is needed or anything else. I get they aren't doing that in these situations.

Point being, even if it's not 100% spotless, when a passenger boards a plane mid day, first glance should be that it's clean .
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:18 pm

Age & Wear is one thing. A number of posters have commented that the AC J pods are getting a bit tired & I'd agree with that. Dirt is quite another matter. As passengers we might be happy to sit in a worn but clean seat/pod. Sitting in a dirty one with some pax feeling the need to clean it themselves? Even if that happens on other airlines, it should be unacceptable, no?
Agreed that a dirty seat is not good and I've seen some pretty grubby ones, but everyone has a different threshold for dirty. I never use Purell while some people are washing their hands with it every hour.

If someone is traveling with cleaning wipes, they more than likely have a lower tolerance that I do.

What is an acceptable level? How would you even define it?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If they're dirty enough to be noticeable on a sanitizing wipe, this isn't one incident of not being groomed properly. That kind of dirt would take quite a while to build up.

I usually use the hot towel for my headrest and tray table, but I've never done more. Sometimes the tray tables are disgusting. I want to put my tablet down (and, you know, eat off it), and it's blatantly obvious that something was spilled on it previously that day, but no one ever cleaned it up.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Agreed that a dirty seat is not good and I've seen some pretty grubby ones, but everyone has a different threshold for dirty. I never use Purell while some people are washing their hands with it every hour.

If someone is traveling with cleaning wipes, they more than likely have a lower tolerance that I do.

What is an acceptable level? How would you even define it?
To me sticky is a line in the sand, I'm fine with other kinds of dirtiness but man I HATE sticky. The other line is crumbs. There's no reason people should be ending up with vast quantities of crumbs on the floor, I realize you sweep em off the tray table but come on, just eat a little cleaner and sweep into your hand then into the garbage, it's not hard. Crumbs on the seat are even worse to me because that's a clear indication the FAs didn't even look, otherwise they would've done a quick swipe across the seat.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
To me sticky is a line in the sand, I'm fine with other kinds of dirtiness but man I HATE sticky. The other line is crumbs. There's no reason people should be ending up with vast quantities of crumbs on the floor, I realize you sweep em off the tray table but come on, just eat a little cleaner and sweep into your hand then into the garbage, it's not hard. Crumbs on the seat are even worse to me because that's a clear indication the FAs didn't even look, otherwise they would've done a quick swipe across the seat.
Agreed. Sticky and crumbs are indeed one the bad side of the line.

As for darkening a sanitizing wipe, I have a feeling most people wiping down the steering wheel of their car, the TV remote control in your house or their cell phone/office phone, you may be surprised how 'dirty' they are too.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
Cleanliness of seating area in J

Agreed. Sticky and crumbs are indeed one the bad side of the line.

As for darkening a sanitizing wipe, I have a feeling most people wiping down the steering wheel of their car, the TV remote control in your house or their cell phone/office phone, you may be surprised how 'dirty' they are too.
I to want to echo the same discontent with the cleanliness of the seating area. The magazine pocket can have all kinds of garbage in it from nuts to wrappers etc.
Also the occasional time that pillow cases were not replaced or on a flight with PODs that the blankets are not wrapped which would to me indicate that they have been used before.

Flying out of HNL back to YVR I must say that the plane is much cleaner than when it came out to HNL and I have experienced this at least 6 times in the last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.