Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Status Match - Success

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 9:01 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Yes. Me.

Last fall I had a bunch of travel on the horizon. Due to job changes in the previous year, I had been busted down to zero status on AC. I was looking for lounge access, etc. on some Asia travel, so I made a request for a status match E50k based on my AA Plat (earned through a challenge).

I emailed my request in late October 2014.
I received an email confirming the match today.

I currently sit at 30k miles for 2015. My bum is in SIN as I write this, just prior to heading back to YOW on an all *A mostly AC routing. And I have an *A Africa trip coming up. I will cross the 50k threshold somewhere over Africa on June 1st.

Thank you AC for taking over six months to grant me 50k status for all of three weeks. Thanks also for pointing out to me in the email that..."we will not match your status again in the future."

Unfortunately there was no button in the email to accept or decline the offer. I am grateful, however I will get very, very little utility out of this gesture. The only benefit I can see is lounge access at FRA or ZRH on my way to Africa. I am thinking about refusing the match, or at least trying to do so.

What would you do?
--
13F
I would absolutely write back and explain that since it took six months to reply, you made different booking decisions and the match is not required. I would also ensure they feel revenue was lost. (whether or not that's strictly true due to your specific bookings at the moment)
Old May 7, 2015, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Yes. Me.

Last fall I had a bunch of travel on the horizon. Due to job changes in the previous year, I had been busted down to zero status on AC. I was looking for lounge access, etc. on some Asia travel, so I made a request for a status match E50k based on my AA Plat (earned through a challenge).

I currently sit at 30k miles for 2015. My bum is in SIN as I write this, just prior to heading back to YOW on an all *A mostly AC routing. And I have an *A Africa trip coming up. I will cross the 50k threshold somewhere over Africa on June 1st.

Thank you AC for taking over six months to grant me 50k status for all of three weeks. Thanks also for pointing out to me in the email that..."we will not match your status again in the future."

Unfortunately there was no button in the email to accept or decline the offer. I am grateful, however I will get very, very little utility out of this gesture. The only benefit I can see is lounge access at FRA or ZRH on my way to Africa. I am thinking about refusing the match, or at least trying to do so.

What would you do?
--
13F
I know this will be an unpopular viewpoint; however, I do believe that you got something that you didn't "deserve". Yes, they were a pain for waiting 6 months but AC isn't known for their quick responses. I'd just move on, but that's just me. It was nice for them to have status matched, but it isn't published that just because you are a AA Plat that it entitles you to any status matching on AC, nor is it something that happens on a regular basis.

I was status matched as well in my first year, but I won't share details as I have promised to keep the details of what happened confidential. However, needless to say I was not expecting it and was grateful it happened. I'd just move on, frankly. To me, it's like the last YOW Do. I wasn't expecting Nomad to pickup the bill at the end for all of us, but was thankful for it. I was expecting to pay my own bill, but was thankful that someone, even after our collective protests, insisted on paying for us all
Old May 7, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Yes. Me.

What would you do?
--
13F
What is there to do? You used an elite status that you achieved without actually meeting the normal requirements and attempted to trump it into a year-long status with AC. They likely reviewed you case based on current mileage earned and saw you were close to "requalifying" for the balance of this year and all of next, so put the onus back on you to actually earn your E50K status. In the meantime they have advanced you that status for its benefits. I can't see what the problem or your issue actually is? You've burned your bridges with both AC and AA. You can always move on to DL, AS or WS...then use those to get STARGold with TK when you've lost your AC status in two year's time.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
The sole point of any airline offering a Status Match (at least, from the airline's POV) is to give you an incentive to move some or all of your travel away from another carrier. They're under no obligation to do this in any particular hurry.

So, basically, with the match, you're getting a couple of free international lounge visits on the way home today, and on your way to Africa next week, before you "naturally" earn 50K next month, which was the whole point in the first place, no?

The only reason for you to refuse the match would be if you're planning to use it again in the future, which assumes you're planning to cut well back on your AC travel during Altitude 2016, and use the match after the status you're about to earn runs out.

If that's the case, why on earth would AC want to encourage that choice by "giving back" your future option to match, after you lose status for >2017?
Old May 9, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I think what Seat13F is saying is that if s/he had known it would take forever to receive the match, s/he would not have made the effort to do so and would wait for a better strategic timing of it in the future... that's all.
Old May 29, 2015, 4:37 pm

Angry No Response

I have tried emailed Air Canada ([email protected]) twice in the past 2 months and have never gotten any reply. I wonder how some people reported they have been matched within 24 hours.
Old May 29, 2015, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Derekkwleung
I have tried emailed Air Canada ([email protected]) twice in the past 2 months and have never gotten any reply. I wonder how some people reported they have been matched within 24 hours.
That means you were most likely declined.

I tried to status match to AC via a few different ways. I only heard back from them for my successful match. Before anyone goes "how did you do it"? I'm leaving that information outside of FT because I promised to do so.

But just saying, if you haven't heard back, it was declined. (more likely than not). They never emailed me back a "sorry, but no thanks"
Old May 31, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: down to Zone 5
Humm I should've at least asked then. S100K 2013 & 2014. Flew 100k+ DL in 2014 (no easy *A commute) so I had nothing Mar1 2015 for AC/AP. Didn't bother emailing cuz I figured I'll be S100K again after June. I suppose the only thing worthwhile that I lost was the 100% bonus.
Old May 31, 2015, 1:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
That means you were most likely declined.
"
no it means AC incompetence, is still active.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:29 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by flybit
no it means AC incompetence, is still active.
Nope.

As far as I know, we have shut down our status match program for the time being (which is likely why the OP hasn't heard back). We haven't found many of those we've matched have actually flown with us (and instead simply use the status for upgrades and lounge access, etc.). We are re-evaluating the program for the future.
Old May 31, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Nope.

As far as I know, we have shut down our status match program for the time being (which is likely why the OP hasn't heard back). We haven't found many of those we've matched have actually flown with us (and instead simply use the status for upgrades and lounge access, etc.). We are re-evaluating the program for the future.
So why can't someone just put an auto reply on that address stating status matches are not being considered? It's such an easy thing to do...
Old May 31, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: AC *G, A3 *G
Yet again another clear example of how the few can screw it for the rest. Is anyone surprized most status matched just to use the perks for there 2 or 3 flights a year. Next year they can continue to photo shop there "tickets and boarding passes" on there so many flights they take each year to the next airline program sucker.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Nope.

Well when you status match them 6 months after they request it...
Old May 31, 2015, 11:26 am
Suspended

I status matched one of my family members from UA to AC50 in early 2014. It did take quite some time, maybe around 2 months., I had to send in forward booking references for AC flights and the match was granted. They achieved AC50 in 2014 and will again in 2015, so it was a status match grant which performed as designed.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:29 am
Suspended

Nope.

As far as I know, we have shut down our status match program....
This is where the AC representative(s) come across as unconcerned and not genuine. "AFAIK" isn't a phrase which should be used by someone who is the purported official FT mouthpiece of AC passenger operations. It's just dismissive and shows the overall attitude displayed toward customers in general. If you don't know, then why post about it before finding out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.