Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Gauges Change Fees Compared to other Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:12 am
Original Poster

I am a long time AC & Aeroplan customer (enrolled 1994) Diamond/Altitude level. I have learned the hard way that my beloved airline is gouging change fees. I had a business class flight that I looked to change the date as my business plans changed. There is a $450 change fee.
AC'S CHANGE FEES ARE MORE THAN DOUBLE THEIR COMPETITORS:
BA $25.00
Westjet $88.50
American $200
Delta $200
United $200
Virgin $100
While I appreciate that there should be a change fee - $450 is RIDICULOUS. I am both a personal and business customer. Business changes. Next time I book my business (and personal flights), I am going to look at other options beside AC with firms that appreciate business bookings and that plans change and aren't out to gouge clients.
Sadly this will what lead me to look at other travel charge cards.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I don't know what you talking about.
On some very famous other airlines,
e.g.
- Lufthansa
- Easyjet
- Air Berlin
- Germanwings
- Swiss
- Air Asia
- Jetstar

you often cannot change the travel date at all - for the cheapest fare classes. You would loose the entire fare.

I am both a personal and business customer. Business changes.
Most airline offer flexible fares for business travellers.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Sheri M
I am a long time AC & Aeroplan customer (enrolled 1994) Diamond/Altitude level. I have learned the hard way that my beloved airline is gouging change fees. I had a business class flight that I looked to change the date as my business plans changed. There is a $450 change fee.
BA $25.00
Westjet $88.50
American $200
Delta $200
United $200
Virgin $100
While I appreciate that there should be a change fee - $450 is RIDICULOUS. I am both a personal and business customer. Business changes. Next time I book my business (and personal flights), I am going to look at other options beside AC with firms that appreciate business bookings and that plans change and aren't out to gouge clients.
If you're anticipating changes to your schedule, you shouldn't be booking a deep discount business fare that incurs a $450 change fee.

There is a reason that the Lowest Business Class fare is usually cheaper that an unrestricted economy ticket.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AC
OP's figures seem to comparing apples and oranges. BA's change fee may be $25 for a regular J ticket, but a discount J ticket has a change fee of $400. AC's $450 for a similar fare is hardly "gouging".

Originally Posted by warakorn
I don't know what you talking about.
On some very famous other airlines,
e.g.
- Lufthansa
- Easyjet
- Air Berlin
- Germanwings
- Swiss
- Air Asia
- Jetstar

you often cannot change the travel date at all - for the cheapest fare classes. You would loose the entire fare.
Not really a fair comparison either: Everything on your list except LH and LX are discount airlines. So they're not really targeting business travellers, and most (if not all) of their aircraft don't have a J cabin.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:22 am

BA $25.00
Westjet $88.50
American $200
Delta $200
United $200
Virgin $100
Welcome to FT!

It is difficult to evaluate the merit of your post with the information provided - something doesn't seem to be adding up. A bit more information would be helpful.
  1. What are the cities on this ticket? Is this domestic, transborder, international?
  2. What is your fare class (J,C,D,Z,P)
  3. Is $450 only the change fee or does that value include fare difference?

AFAIK many of the airlines listed above have different change fees depending on destination, class of ticket, and would also charge fare difference in addition to change fee.

Last edited by YEG USER; Jul 31, 2014 at 9:20 am Reason: Missed Business Class Reference - Assumed Economy due to Westjet Reference
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Another silly complaint with no merit or logic...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
I had a business class flight that I looked to change the date as my business plans changed. There is a $450 change fee.
BA $25.00
Westjet $88.50
American $200
Delta $200
United $200
Virgin $100
Your comparison doesn't make much sense because as far as I know there is no route served by all of those airlines.

Which route is your ticket for, and what is the fare class (i.e. Z, D, C)? In my experience similar tickets on the same route have very similar change fees across airlines. The main difference is usually in the exchange rate as applied to whatever happens to be a pleasing number ending in 0 or 5 in the local currency.

Also, Westjet's business class change fee is not $88.50. It is actually ∞ - ∞.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Not totally, there are some cases where they have you over a barrel.

I was testifying as an expert witness in a hearing in YYG when the opposing lawyers started playing silly games, resulting in my not being able to fly home that evening but having to stay another day.

The change fee was more than the return Y ticket's (YYZ - YYG) original cost.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
I think Air Canada is fairly competitive with respect to change fees. Last year when Asian carriers changed their change fees, Air Canada dropped change fees to $50 dollars for flights to Asia to be aligned with the competition. I agree that some change fees are ridiculous such as $200 per direction for US tickets but they align with United's and other US airlines fees.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hazcaddy
The change fee was more than the return Y ticket's (YYZ - YYG) original cost.
But was the total more than a flexible fare?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
West Jet Has business class?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
BA $25.00
Westjet $88.50
American $200
Delta $200
United $200
Virgin $100
you need the correct fare on BA. I had a low cost fare LHR to MAD last month, and would have cost 300 sterling to take an earlier flight...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
+1. You're given ample opportunity to review the terms and conditions of a fare before buying.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: skymiles
As an airline employee I can guarantee that AC change fees are the same as other major carriers.Business class fares have a $450.00 chge fee on AC/DL/UA/AA/BA/AF/KL/LH/LX and I can go on....The same airlines charge $300.00 for economy class fares for international travel.The chage fees quoted by the OP for DL/UA/AA are only for domestic travel and not for international travel where as AC charges $50 for any changes.....so before bashing pls compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Maybe I'm missing something. I just looked through a non-refundable J reservation I have for domestric travel on AC. It clearly lists a $50 change fee plus fare difference.

Is it really $450 for international travel or maybe the fare difference is blended in - in which case it seems perfectly legitimate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.