Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How does one actually talk to Air Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I've searched everywhere and came up empty handed.

I've never flown AC before, but will be next month from YYZ-SFO. A client has already purchased the ticket for me and I wanted to call in and buy a preferred seat. I've now spent 2 hours on the phone getting either a busy signal or the call actually disconnecting itself before even that happens. I've tried the 888 general number as well as the 514 area code number listed on their website.

Is there another option I don't know about? I can see my reservation online, but it won't let me do anything to it as far as seat assignments are concerned.

Any help out there for an AC luddite?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
"NOT POSSIBLE!"

But don't worry, they've promised to improve by Oct.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Have you tried the online seat selection tool accessing via Manage my Bookings or here: https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl
"NOT POSSIBLE!"

HA! You're really not too far from the truth there...

My assistant was also calling and finally avoided the busy signal. After 53 minutes on hold, she finally got an agent and transferred her to me. Due to my outbound being on UA, it's an 016 ticket so she couldn't do anything at all, which made me laugh. Here I am trying to give AC money and they won't take it. How very Canadian.

For what it's worth, she was really sweet and polite about it and also found the whole thing rather amusing. So evidently it's a roll of the dice until OLCI opens
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Not sure why she couldn't do your seating. I've had lots of 016 UA-issued mixed flight itineraries and have had no problem getting seats either from an AC agent, or now online (once I get the AC record locator).
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Not sure why she couldn't do your seating. I've had lots of 016 UA-issued mixed flight itineraries and have had no problem getting seats either from an AC agent, or now online (once I get the AC record locator).
No idea. I tried the Manage My Bookings route as well - I have the AC record locator and it pulls it up, but when I click the select seats button a pop-up says "You can't use this link to select your seat". I'm clueless.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
OP is not trying for a simple seat assignment; OP is trying to pay for a Preferred seat. AFAIK UA won't be able to handle this, similarly AFAIK you can't buy a UA E+ seat through AC.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG USER
OP is not trying for a simple seat assignment; OP is trying to pay for a Preferred seat. AFAIK UA won't be able to handle this, similarly AFAIK you can't buy a UA E+ seat through AC.
You are absolutely correct, although I don't know if the situation were reversed and I was traveling on AC ticket and called UA to buy E+ if they would be able to sell it to me as an add collect. I've never been in that situation, but it does seem a bit silly that AC can't do an add collect for a preferred seat in this scenario.

Who knows, we should probably just blame United's SHARES system and call it a day.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I've searched everywhere and came up empty handed.

I've never flown AC before, but will be next month from YYZ-SFO. A client has already purchased the ticket for me and I wanted to call in and buy a preferred seat. I've now spent 2 hours on the phone getting either a busy signal or the call actually disconnecting itself before even that happens. I've tried the 888 general number as well as the 514 area code number listed on their website.

Is there another option I don't know about? I can see my reservation online, but it won't let me do anything to it as far as seat assignments are concerned.

Dont know if this will work but try calling AC numbers in another country i.e. not US/Canada. You may get thru faster.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
You are absolutely correct, although I don't know if the situation were reversed and I was traveling on AC ticket and called UA to buy E+ if they would be able to sell it to me as an add collect. I've never been in that situation, but it does seem a bit silly that AC can't do an add collect for a preferred seat in this scenario.
UA can handle doing that (i.e. AC flight number, AC 014 ticket, operated by UA) - UA is glad to accept your money for E+ in that scenario. I've done it many times.

AC's system, unfortunately, cannot seem to handle this. Which is really a shame for AC when customers WANT to give them money.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

You can also select French language option when you first dial in. It has been posted here that the French hold times are much less and apparently the French language agents can also speak English
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Twitter Team has been very good as long as you DM them..
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by margarita girl
"NOT POSSIBLE!"

That is true. However they have still to confirm which October they really meant. Consensus seems to be October 2019 at the earliest. But don't worry, they're the best airline in North America. Just ask them.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Try calling Hong Kong or London - usually the waits are much shorter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.