Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

why do we hate Air Canada's service?

why do we hate Air Canada's service?

Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
AC has been very good to me (with very few exceptions) over the years.

We both get something out of this relationship (I think).

They get me where I need to go at a reasonable price and with extra benefits for my loyalty (definitely eroded over the years primarily at Aeroplan). I still get enough Altitude benefits that I don't care about the points so much.

So I don't love the corporation (but I might if I was a shareholder over the last year and a half) but I do love the planes and the employees that I deal with (most of them anyway). Substitute "like" if you prefer. I keep coming back year after year and, while, I have strayed to other airlines where the occasion warranted, I feel most at home with AC.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
  1. Air Canada in the air?
  2. Air Canada at the airport?
  3. Air Canada over the phone?
  4. Air Canada's top tier frequent flyer program?
  5. Aeroplan, Air Canada's miles earning and burning program?
  6. All of the above, during IROPS or not?
  7. All of the above, depending on top tier status, or not?
  8. All of the above, depending on whether the person has a moderate amount of intelligence or whether they complain to their local CBC affiliate when the problem was probably 57.2% their own fault to begin with?

Different questions with different answers.

The answer to the #1 generally tends to be "we don't hate the service". If anything, that's the thing that many of us like most of the time.

It's hard for me to say now since I haven't been on an AC airplane since February and have no current plans to do so again, but that's because of #4 and not #1.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
no issues with service

i just hate that they board all elites and J together

change boarding priority and i will be a happy man
What's wrong with that?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ibopm
What's wrong with that?
Paid J should go first.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
For me any complaints are 1) minor and 2) situational.

I don't have any broad sweeping complaints. Every so often you get a bad employee/crew, flight experience or whatever but overall those are isolated incidents for me.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
Paid J should go first.
The alternative would be what UA does which is like, Global Services and (whatever their SE 100 is) are group 1, then me as *G AC 50k is usually in Group 2.

They could very easily say "SE 100k preboarding" and I think we'd find lots of flights have no one take advantage of that anyway so it wouldn't really slow down the process.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: AP*SE SPG-PLAT
I think people hate aeroplan and all the fee associated with them, not AC. I think AC is a great airline both in the hard and soft product.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
I hate the fact that I paid $1050 a Business Class flight to FRA using points which is supposed to be "FREE"
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:34 pm
Suspended

I like AC's service.

The only complaint I have with AC service wise is the ridiculous hold time if you have (or want) an economy ticket and need to talk to someone on the phone about it and you don't have status.

Otherwise over 15 years I have never had a negative experience with ground or air staff, other than the finger pointing between AC and AE when you have delayed flight issues and they're trying to dump you into each other's lap.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by martyYOW
Hate is a strong word - but some serious room for improvement (to be honest - I've been very lucky with Aeroplan bookings the last 18 months - I know that is not typical)
I call that skill! And hard work.

The best tickets you earn twice. First for the points, and the rest trying to figure out the puzzle of putting a route together. In a way it is very satisfying when you put together a great ticket.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Assuming the question refers to the interface between AC and its customers, I have had no complaints about service when the system is running according to plan. In the air, the service overall has been pretty good, and the people have been good. On the ground, not quite as good, but generally okay. If they spend all day dealing with people like me... ...I can cut them a bit of slack.

HOWEVER...when things start to go wrong there is invariably an instantaneous meltdown, and anything resembling service or commitment to the customers goes out the window. It's like a dog running across the 401 in rush hour. A minor incident, but the resulting chaos takes hours to clear up. BTW, I don't necessarily blame the front line staff for this. My observation is that they get very poor support from the management during IRROPS. Poor policies and procedures and woefully inadequate staffing.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
So many of my friends at MUN hate Air Canada, and give me all the stories of why they fly Porter. I've only experienced good things really and never seen any of the negative aspects.

Aeroplan rewards are the only bone of contention, as with a lot of people. Personally speaking though, accumulating with AC and redeeming with United shouldn't overly worry me.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Agreed with the comment that "nothing to hate about....just a mediocre airline".
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by moorw003
So many of my friends at MUN hate Air Canada, and give me all the stories of why they fly Porter. I've only experienced good things really and never seen any of the negative aspects.

Aeroplan rewards are the only bone of contention, as with a lot of people. Personally speaking though, accumulating with AC and redeeming with United shouldn't overly worry me.
I've heard the NL Porter love too and I just don't get it. You'd rather take a 7 hour, 2 stop prop flight to Toronto over a direct AC? How exactly is that 'better'?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Obviously someone with UA in their username would wonder about service since it barely exists on that airline, morale is at its lowest ever and management has cut inflight offerings to the bone, even in domestic F. It's a sad airline that once was great. In contrast, AC's service remains pretty good overall, so not sure why OP thinks we should be hating AC...other than some of management's decisions (at AC and AE) vis a vis the FF program.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.