Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Priority Services available at Istanbul (IST)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/140721.html

Effective immediately, eligible customers can take advantage of accelerated exit immigration and security screening when departing on an Air Canada flight from Istanbul Atakurk Airport (IST). International Business Class, Super Elite 100K, Elite 75K, Elite 50K and Elite 35K members must obtain an invitation at the Priority Check-in counter prior to proceeding to the Passport Control 1 (“TAV Passport”) Fast Track lane.

At the same time, accelerated immigration services will be available to International Business Class and Super Elite 100K customers arriving at Istanbul Atakurk Airport and clearing Turkey customs. Eligible customers must obtain an invitation from the “TGA TRANSFER DESK” prior to proceeding to the “TAV Fast Track Passport Control” lane.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:20 pm

This is no small benefit.

I've spent as long as 90 minutes in the exit immigration queue at IST.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by YYZC2
This is no small benefit.

I've spent as long as 90 minutes in the exit immigration queue at IST.
Was that before or after you had to do the same to purchase a visa? IST immigration lines are truly chaotic. I just keep shuffling along until I spot an open space in one of the final lane entries to a booth. Getting yourself into the far left lane often helps get the agent who handles the special service lane since it's most often empty, thus speeding up the furthest two regular lanes.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Was that before or after you had to do the same to purchase a visa? IST immigration lines are truly chaotic. I just keep shuffling along until I spot an open space in one of the final lane entries to a booth. Getting yourself into the far left lane often helps get the agent who handles the special service lane since it's most often empty, thus speeding up the furthest two regular lanes.

Those who had to purchase a visa on arrival, can now do so online before their trip.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:24 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by extramileage
Those who had to purchase a visa on arrival, can now do so online before their trip.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/
Thanks for the info on the e-Visa. Last time I was there it took longer to get the Visa than to go through immigrations.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I thought I used the fast track lane a few months back. I said i had Star Gold and they let me thru. Also use the priority security seperate entrance.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:30 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
I thought I used the fast track lane a few months back. I said i had Star Gold and they let me thru. Also use the priority security seperate entrance.
+1; I've used the immigration fast track several times myself at IST, usually pleading ignorance. If there isn't much of a lineup in their fast track lane, I've been let in.

Fast track security was a different matter - only twice have they let me by with an AC boarding pass, and one was with a bit of pleading as I had a tight connection. Once the TK rep walked up to the immigration officer to ask if I could.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/140721.html

At the same time, accelerated immigration services will be available to International Business Class and Super Elite 100K customers arriving at Istanbul Atakurk Airport and clearing Turkey customs. Eligible customers must obtain an invitation from the “TGA TRANSFER DESK” prior to proceeding to the “TAV Fast Track Passport Control” lane.
Turkish customs?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: no status
Somewhat related question: I assume that Turkey is not part of Schengen, so if you are in transit ZRH -> IST -> YUL do you even have to go through customs or just stay in an international transit zone (and is there a TK lounge)?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Merlin666
Somewhat related question: I assume that Turkey is not part of Schengen, so if you are in transit ZRH -> IST -> YUL do you even have to go through customs or just stay in an international transit zone (and is there a TK lounge)?
Dont know about transit visa as I got a tourist visa which is available on-line and takes all off 10 mins. The TK lounge is huge, has all the regular stuff plus cooking stations, multiple bars, pool table, free massages, lockers for hand luggage, etc. It can be very busy so you need to walk right to the back if you want a quiet zone.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:02 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

It's definitely not part of Schengen, and the visa process used to be a nightmare before they create the e-passport system. I remember the passport counter demanding cash-only unless you really pushed them on it, and strangely different prices were quoted to different people...

From the IST website:

Transfer PassengersInternational Transfer Passengers With An International Connection Flight) A boarding card is issued for the passenger (if not issued in the country of origin) at the transit desk of the relevant handling company on the Arrivals floor. The passenger does not go through passport control. Instead, he/she directly proceeds through the transit area into the International Departures area. Baggage will be automatically transferred to the connecting flight.
http://www.ataturkairport.com/en-EN/.../Transfer.aspx
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Absolute
It's definitely not part of Schengen, and the visa process used to be a nightmare before they create the e-passport system. I remember the passport counter demanding cash-only unless you really pushed them on it, and strangely different prices were quoted to different people...
The cost of the Visa was different depending on which country/passport you were from. So Europe/UK were less than USA and different than Canada, etc. Many countries have this type of system.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:23 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tireman77
The cost of the Visa was different depending on which country/passport you were from. So Europe/UK were less than USA and different than Canada, etc. Many countries have this type of system.
I understood that entering into Turkey, but what I was implying was that there was some pocketing of the money that seemed to be going on. My co-worker was told $60 USD cash, compared to my $75 USD cash. When I finally pushed them on credit card, the price dropped down to the $60 USD for me. I was on an Air Canada flight, filled with various passengers from Canada, and I heard similar varying prices for others travelling on a Canadian passport, as we waiting in the immigration line afterwards.

I never had it happen again in all my travels through IST, but this was on my first trip there in 2012.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: no status
Interesting, I have thought about an extended stopover in IST to take advantage of the TK bus tour or free hotel offer, but if there is a high visa cost and hassles then this is not appealing any more.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:31 pm

Interesting, I have thought about an extended stopover in IST to take advantage of the TK bus tour or free hotel offer, but if there is a high visa cost and hassles then this is not appealing any more.
Its an amazing city. Don't let the airport experience scare you away. Truly a must see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.