Wiki Posts
Search

Flying business 1st time ever

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Flying business 1st time ever

Hi,

Will be flying in business for first time ever, on AC, YYZ-LHR. For once I won't be walking past the pods...

Would be grateful for any suggestions on how to maximise this experience. Have been in a lounge twice in my life, one happened to be previous LHR arrivals lounge - looking forward to checking new one in T2.
Thnx.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by asus12
Hi,

Will be flying in business for first time ever, on AC, YYZ-LHR. For once I won't be walking past the pods...

Would be grateful for any suggestions on how to maximise this experience. Have been in a lounge twice in my life, one happened to be previous LHR arrivals lounge - looking forward to checking new one in T2.
Thnx.

First, be careful for what you wish for. I was once an economy flyer until I tasted business. Once you fly business trans-atlantic, you never want to go "back". From now on, everytime you fly economy, you'd be thinking about those pods.

Things that I like to do:
1) Arrive earlier, take a shower in the Pearson lounge before you board.

2) Ask for the flexible meal option and request the meal to come to you immediately after takeoff to maximize sleep. Request for the appetizers and dessert regardless.

3) Ask for an extra pillow

4) Dress light as it tends to get hot within the pods.

5) Visit the washroom with windows in it by the second exits
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: FT
if you have business to attend to in LHR, then yes, do flexible meal a per 2 above...great advice. and don't drink too much. it is a short flight and a hang over with business at 10am when your body thinks its 5 sucks.

if not, i would just have the regular mean and watch movies and relax and have a few libations...

just remember the call button since if you do this option, FA's might assume you want to sleep so push the button if you need a re-load.

don't load up on too much wine/booze in the lounge - if wine is your thing. it's poor quality and i think AC has one of the best champagnes in J (and i actually prefer it to many more of the fancy label's - well, what others think is fancy), drappier....i just drink it and perhaps some port and some VS, although not sure if they have any VSOP these days....

note, what they serve on the ground is not the drappier so once in the air, specifically ask for drappier during the first drink run.

i have started to just change into some pajamas i got on some other flights. it actually is much much more comfortable.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. This is vacation, libations await.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
As it is vacation then make sure that you sample many drinks as mentioned. Also, enjoy every course of the meal. They will let you choose multiple desserts if you ask. My children took their fist TATL J flight this summer and obviously didn't drink but made up for it with the food.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AP SE, Bonvoy Plat, HH Gold, EC Executive, Hertz Pres Circle, Avis Pres Club
When are you flying out? theseatbelt's suggestions are all good ones, but can probably be adjusted depending on time of day.

I would also suggest taking along a light sweater or sweatshirt just in case you do get colder. I tend to bring along a t-shirt and sweatpants to change into as soon as I get on board.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: FT
i checked and they should have some courvoisier VSOP on offer on a recent flight of mine. it was nice. i had some otard XO on BA in F shortly after and honestly, the VSOP is mighty fine.

a nice shower and a greasy breakfast on arrival is also a necessity after a few bevvies.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Enjoy especially as you are on vacation!
Board early (less time in the lounge at YYZ but don't worry) so you can settle into the pod environment- check out and try the seat controls, get at least one pre-departure bev, find and load the movies you want. I am no fan of plane food so tend to do the express meal then sleep so I can enjoy the destination.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I'm on the 23h10 flight, 77W. Will definitely change my meal to the flexible option, thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
Ask for both the glass of orange juice and a sparkling wine when they do the boarding drinks and make yourself a mimosa. For me that is a great way to start my trip.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
I had the exact same questions a few months ago:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...advantage.html
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Enjoy your trip! My first transatlantic J trip was 13 years ago and since then I've refused to fly overseas in coach Yes, it really does create a monster!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
If you get the ice cream, ask them for Baileys to pour on top of it.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:02 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Binflyin
Ask for both the glass of orange juice and a sparkling wine when they do the boarding drinks and make yourself a mimosa. For me that is a great way to start my trip.
Originally Posted by FlyingUsedToBeFun
I would also suggest taking along a light sweater or sweatshirt just in case you do get colder. I tend to bring along a t-shirt and sweatpants to change into as soon as I get on board.
+1 from me, here's my process on every TATL/TPAC flight

I board the plane, grab my luggage space, and pull out my earbud earphones, laptop/ipad, and anything I might want to use, stuffing them beside me and in the side bin.

Next I take out the amenity kit and take off my shoes and socks, and put on the flight socks it contains. Then I pull out my PJ pants, head to the lavatory before it's too "used", and change into them.

Return to my seat, and also choose both drinks for a mimosa, and wait for the menu. I also then put the covers on my headset, and hand it on the coat hook.

They'll do meal selection by status, so choose an option or two in case your option is taken. If you're not certain, AC provides the FAs with a sheet listing the meals and pictures.

I then settle in, and start watching a movie on the screen or iPad. When they start the safety briefing, I switch to my iPad, and then close the screen when it's done.

After the little ad they play at the end, I then sneak my screen open (sometimes an FA questions me on this), and select the Sirius FM channel I'd like to listen to. I then plug in my earbuds, and listen until I'm allowed to use the headset, or allowed to plug them into my iPad. That way I can have some music/background noise, since nothing else is allowed in business.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ibopm
If you get the ice cream, ask them for Baileys to pour on top of it.
I tried that as a result of a few posts here, and it wasn't great.

I'd much rather have just the ice cream

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.