Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The market has spoken: DL announces YVR - LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The market has spoken: DL announces YVR - LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Well said.
The posters who continually whine and are quick to label others "apologists" are hurting and affected by tables turning in the aviation landscape. It's not just an AC thing, it's everywhere. So many passengers are outraged over the incredible realization airlines are no longer willing to bleed money to keep their "loyalty".

Ah, yes. The magical year.
When AC Rouges more routes in weeks to come, does that re-start the clock for another year?
once all planes are rouged and new cabins are rolled out on other air craft do you think AC will repaint them all and call them all Air Canada again?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AC,BA,CA,SPG,ICHG, HERTZ
Originally Posted by hearna
All the traffic on rouge is coming from the lack of alternatives? I guess we will see if AC keeps up the traffic once DL and AA come in;

I understand AC has to rouge some leisure routes; but they could have at least kept 1 or 2 daily California flights on the mainline and at least offer a choice to their pax,
so, if the mainline flight costs them a lot more would you be willing to pay 50% more to have that special flight you want.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by tracon
AA timings are early and late afternoon southbound. Late morning and early afternoon northbound. I wonder if this is more about feeding QF flights.
AA has big, big TPAC plans for LAX.
AA's new YVR and YEG-LAX flights (*and additional frequency on YYZLAX, btw) have FAR more to do with building up feed for their pending LAX expansion than the arrival of Rouge, IMO
In another thread Ben(s) was asked if western Canada - California would go back to mainline. The reply was can't comment. The tone left me with the feeling that mainline may return....but I could be wrong.
You might be right. BUT, It won't be the o/d at marginal yields that pull AC Mainline back on YVRLAX, it will be the loss of material TPAC bookings AA is funneling through their expanding LAX Gateway. Until that happens, Rouge arms AC with Air Canada with the cost base required for the fare wars likely to ensue with added operators/seats on the route.
In my opinion, of course.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
once all planes are rouged and new cabins are rolled out on other air craft do you think AC will repaint them all and call them all Air Canada again?
I happen to think Premium cabins on certain routes generate a lot more revenue for Air Canada than the cost savings Rouge enables could ever dream.
I also think Air Canada wouldn't pull J seats out of a high yielding, profitable, sustainable market.
Your post implies you disagree and, likely, know better.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:08 am
Formerly known as tireman77

All the traffic on rouge is coming from the lack of alternatives? I guess we will see if AC keeps up the traffic once DL and AA come in;

I understand AC has to rouge some leisure routes; but they could have at least kept 1 or 2 daily California flights on the mainline and at least offer a choice to their pax,
My apologies for not explaining that point more clearly.

AC had a certain load level on ML. If paid J and full fare Y was that strong, they wouldn't have Rouged it. If customer demand was that high in the first place, more routes would have been added, right?.

Now, with Rouge, there is more capacity on the airplane. Current load statistics seems to indicate on a percentage basis, that the planes are as full or more full that before. So there are more people on the route flying AC than when it was ML.

If we add to that the indication from most people here screaming bloody murder about Rouge and vowing never to use it. They are either using UA, WS or AS, or choosing to connect on another flight. (Or are they flying rouge, but won't admit it?)

More AC capacity that is more full. Less FFers using Rouge. This is all right now. Before AA & DL move onto the route. Where is all this traffic coming from?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:10 am
Formerly known as tireman77

AA timings are early and late afternoon southbound. Late morning and early afternoon northbound. I wonder if this is more about feeding QF flights......
That sounds very logical.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by loosegoose
so, if the mainline flight costs them a lot more would you be willing to pay 50% more to have that special flight you want.
So your saying Rouge flights cost 50% less to operate then the mainline; with fuel being the biggest line item, your saying that rouge flights have watered down fuel or what? Are the ground crews/agents in YVR and LAX/SFO making 50% less because they serviced a rouge flight? Are catered items 50% less because the plane is red? Don't tell me there are 50% more seats on a rouge plane...

If I had the option of a Rouge flight versus a Main-Line flight and the Main-line was a few dollars more; yes absolutely I would pay it to endure the farce that rouge is; do not exaggerate things with your 50%

Just sayin'
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:22 am

If I had the option of a Rouge flight versus a Main-Line flight and the Main-line was a few dollars more; yes absolutely I would pay it to endure the farce that rouge is; do not exaggerate things with your 50%
Just sayin'
His exaggeration of 50% cost savings on a short route like YVR-California is far closer to reality than your exaggeration of "a few dollars more"
Just sayin'
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
AA has big, big TPAC plans for LAX.
I assume the added TPAC destinations will be in Asia? Or will they compete with QF to Australia as well?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Heffeh41
I assume the added TPAC destinations will be in Asia? Or will they compete with QF to Australia as well?
AA and QF share profits (losses) on LAX/DFW-Australia. Full partners. So they don't compete, however, QF's costs are higher than AA. Not sure if that opens the door to AA metal (77W/789) on LAX-Australia in an effort to increase profits?
The limitation at LAX is space. AA has room for RJs (hence, SAT, YEG, YVR, etc).

There was a good article about the AA LAX vision/limitations in Flightglobal if you have access (Mar/Apr timeframe)

Interesting stuff which might shed light on the startup of YEG/YVR but likley to far off topic (as I'm sure the mods will soon point out)
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:07 pm

I can't think of any other city pair with a Canadian airport that has as many non-stop competitors, apart from maybe YTO-NYC between all the airport combinations.

YVR-LAX will be:
AC(rouge)
WestJet
Alaska
United
Delta
US Airways

Most with multiple daily flights.
With so many competitors, it may make sense for the route to stay rouge.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC P35K, Aero DIA, HH Dia. Hertz G, BA B, Nexus
FWIW, I was told by an AC checkin agent that they were told YYC-LAX was reverting back to AC ML by the end of the year. Wasn't sure if that was a full switch or in addition to the ACr flts.
Can only assume that it would be the same or better for YVR.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just sayin'
Am I missing something, "to endure"? ,or to not endure
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Heffeh41
they did recently add PVG and HKG from DFW.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
In another thread Ben(s) was asked if western Canada - California would go back to mainline. The reply was can't comment. The tone left me with the feeling that mainline may return....but I could be wrong.
I read his comment more as them looking at bringing J back to mainline standards on those routes. Or maybe I'm thinking of a different comment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.