Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Dr. gives medical assistance in-flight; any airline compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dr. gives medical assistance in-flight; any airline compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Reality is, you rendered assistance to a fellow passenger, not to Air Canada.

Although a note of appreciation would have been a nice gesture, Air Canada owes you nothing and an expectation of compensation is indeed unreasonable.

The passenger you assisted, however, might owe you a steak dinner or a nice bottle of wine. Of course, that's up to them to make the effort to thank you. Some people will, some won't.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Symmetre

Although a note of appreciation would have been a nice gesture, Air Canada owes you nothing and an expectation of compensation is indeed unreasonable.

The passenger you assisted, however, might owe you a steak dinner or a nice bottle of wine. Of course, that's up to them to make the effort to thank you. Some people will, some won't.
I'm not sure I agree.

By preventing a diversion, Air Canada saved a ton of money.

Now, I'm not saying anyone owes anything, but if the passengers owes the doctor a steak dinner, AC owes something too.

And seriously...I've received thousands of miles for saying "I had a great SD on this flight who was very attentive to service. I never had to ask for a refill." If that's worthy of miles, then this certainly is.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not sure I agree.

By preventing a diversion, Air Canada saved a ton of money.

Now, I'm not saying anyone owes anything, but if the passengers owes the doctor a steak dinner, AC owes something too.

And seriously...I've received thousands of miles for saying "I had a great SD on this flight who was very attentive to service. I never had to ask for a refill." If that's worthy of miles, then this certainly is.
My daughter has attended patients on three separate occasions. On two, she was moved upfront from the back. On the one event when J was full, they gave her J dinner with wine. One of the patients sent a Christmas present. The grand son wrote her a beautiful letter. She is quite happy to help out. She expects nothing back!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by blue2002
Now imagine that in the second hour of the flight you hear the "is there a physician..." call over the intercom, and from that moment on you start managing a medical situation on board until you land, i.e. for 8+ hours, if you count the paperwork on the ground. Depending on the condition of the patient, you are now spending this time either in the seat next to the patient (statistically more often in Y than F), or if things turn for the worse on the floor of the galley.

Hard to imagine? Not really. Simmilar scenarios happened to people I know on quite a few flights.

Of course, you could have simply told the crew to land the thing at the nearest airport, so you can handover the patient to EMTs, hence shortening your involvement to 1-2 hours... but you didn't, and you stuck through, and in the process you helped the flight get to its destination, saving the airline (tens of?) thousands of dollars, not to mention helping it maintain customer satisfaction.

What? Still nothing due in recompense?
Some sort of visible recognition by the airline would go a long way to saying "thanks".

As to limiting your involvement to 1-2 hours by recommending the aircraft divert? Sure, you could do that. But this seems like a "me first", knee jerk response. How long will the diversion take? How many hours will you and your loved one be on the ground? What meetings/vacation will you miss? Now, how about the 100s of other PAX? Their time isn't valuable too?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by YEGcg
As to limiting your involvement to 1-2 hours by recommending the aircraft divert? Sure, you could do that. But this seems like a "me first", knee jerk response. How long will the diversion take? How many hours will you and your loved one be on the ground? What meetings/vacation will you miss? Now, how about the 100s of other PAX? Their time isn't valuable too?
I agree with all your points. Once we add the Hippocratic Oath, it becomes clear that not many physicians (or perhaps no true physician) would ever refuse to or otherwise curtail their professional services in flight for shallow personal reasons. My point is that airlines such as AC take advantage of the situation.

By the way, there are other airlines that have programs for at least symbolically rewarding physicians that rendered assistance. LH is one example.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
This is sticky...I'm quick to think "hey jerkoff, just be nice and use your skills without expecting something". I think as a society we're trending a bit too much towards the "what's in it for me" side of things. But then I look at the other side and you think "well what's the downside for me, litigation, physical harm etc?".

That said, I think once you've made the decision to be helpful, you've made the right decision and not to expect anything. If AC truly has a policy, then by all means, email/call, but if they don't I'd love a letter of thanks but I wouldn't expect it.

My other thought is think of the other side of this...when you get really good service from an FA, do you ALWAYS fill out that comment card (or whatever it is, I've heard of it, never done it). Because for them, that's the equivalent of the thank you letter. A tip is the equivalent of the airline giving you points. It's nice, but should never be expected imo.

As far as the potential litigation side of things, I think that's a horrible trend in society but it's a reality. There was a story in the Vancouver Province just the other day about a woman's $5000 purse getting snatched (cry me a river...) but that only 1 person in a crowded mall helped. That guy was rewarded with a punch in the face. Could've just as easily been stabbed, and for what? A status symbol? That situation for me is much more reactive, whereas even when I took a first aid class, basically the first lesson they teach is "I'M A FIRST AIDER, MAY I HELP YOU?" to get verbal consent...I understand the underlying principal but the practice is gross to me. If you're the Dr on board providing any kind of attention, I would also hope that you'd determine your limits very quickly, if there's some kind of supply truly needed, that you'd immediately tell them "hey look, he's not gonna die, but he NEEDS this...and you don't have it".

Sorry for the rant, but I say kudos for the work, and I'd hope more than the airline that the guy/gal you helped has searched you out to give you thanks. That is more meaningful to me than the points or even a thanks from the airline because you avoided and inconvenient diversion.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo
Because if you have a heart attach or something else, and a doctor helps you, and you or your family decide to sue for whatever reason. A doctor does not have to help you.

I would be grateful myself, and would hope AC would provide some compensation to the doctor who helped.
I would expect the "patient" to be the one that would want to provide some sort compensation or token of thanks...
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by californiadreamin'
I would expect the "patient" to be the one that would want to provide some sort compensation or token of thanks...
If I, or someone I loved, was on plane and had their life saved, the saviour would be my guest and have the master bedroom any time they were in town
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by tracon
Exucse my ignorance.
Why are those who have helped expecting something in return?
Is there something wrong with feeling good about a little pro bono work to help a fellow citizen?
The world has gone mad.... If you expect something to be given to your for volunteering to help someone in need, perhaps make it clear before you offer assistance you expect some miles before assisting?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Symmetre
What happens if there is a medical emergency but there is no doctor or other expert on board? Who decides, and based on what rules, whether it's OK to fly on or not? Is there a legal obligation for AC to act in a certain way? I suppose there is policy on this. Anyone know it?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by yhm71
What happens if there is a medical emergency but there is no doctor or other expert on board? Who decides, and based on what rules, whether it's OK to fly on or not? Is there a legal obligation for AC to act in a certain way? I suppose there is policy on this. Anyone know it?
Most airlines subscribe to a service such as MEDLINK and will radio to them and it is usually Medlink who will decide if the situation warrant a divert or not.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I started reading this thread thinking "jerk should just honour his oath."

I no longer hold that perspective--very informative discussion! I suggest a polite letter to Air Canada with the details; it's possible the records were lost or misprocessed.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Finally got my letter of appreciation from Dr. Vincent Poirier, Senior Medical Advisor, Passenger & Cabin Health today, 3 months after the initial flight! 10,000 status miles is a nice gesture! But I already booked 2 MRs before getting this! Happy to requalify for SE next year by a comfortable margin now
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:07 am

Anyone read about how the great CX rewarded a couple Canadians who tirelessly worked for 2 hours to save a passenger's life on YYZHKG? One of the 2 was upgraded to PE on their return flight. Wow, what a reward!
Can you imagine ... The ultimate airline Cathay Pacific upgraded one of the 2 passengers to Premium Economy while the other flew back home ni the Economy seat he paid for.

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/114...acific-flight/

Believe they've since upped their offer due entirely to backlash and public outrage.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC SE 200K, SPG PLAT, HH DIAMOND
This is an interesting read and I keep going back and forth on what is right here...my first thought was how can you demand compensation for helping someone in need, aren't we all human and want to help people in need? Then I started thinking about the time and the cost saved to the airline and that you should get some compensation but ultimately I come back to the fact that it is tacky to ask for compensation....did you do this for compensation, would you have helped without compensation? I think sending anything and asking for something is tacky, enjoy the fact that you helped save a life.
I'm not a doctor but I have first aid and I have never hesitated to help someone in need. I have helped people in distress in the past and never wanted anything in return. I assisted with a person having a seizure and waited for 20 minutes till paramedics arrived as the 25 yo security guard that responded first was unable to help or do anything but I never asked for anything.
On another occasion, I was on a flight from YQR-YYZ with a distraught Polish pax (I speak it fluently) and translated for the crew the whole time as he was missing his cnx to WAW due to a flight delay and then wanted to chat my ear off the whole flight (it was an old man and I couldn't say no) and then waited with him at YYZ until a Polish speaking rep came over. BTW - the crew moved him to the seat beside me in J class for the flight once they knew I spoke Polish and I didn't get to watch a movie and had to talk to him (he was in Y). I know it's not a medical emergency but he still invaded my space and flight and the crew used me to talk to him about everything, even saying "ask him if he wants some water.." so it's a skill that I have that no on else on the plane could do but I never thought I should get or asked for compensation. Just to be clear, I don't think I should get comp'd because a pax beside me talks to me but he was moved here by the crew and I was used as the interpreter. In the end he was a nice guy though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.