Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Official Air Canada Upgrade Priority

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Air Canada Upgrade Priority

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Recent update from a flight I just took.

Me and Mrs. were confirmed - P-Class AC210 (YVR-YYC).
Standby earlier for AC208. Looked at the "App". Total of 5 J "Upgrades" showing. We were also showing as "Standby" but also on Upgrade. Me and the Mrs. #1 and #2 (standby earlier flight - confirmed J). PAX #3 was SE in Y - waiting for upgrade and Pax #4-5 were PY1/J10 staff. This would appear to show that confirmed seat later flight - standby earlier - can have J onload priority over Y-Upgrades.

So - Anyone else have any insight on the upgrade list - now that we can actually see what is on the list. The reason I knew what was on the list was just through some "chit chat" with the gate agent (since I am somewhat familiar with the terms - it helped a bit).
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr

Standby earlier for AC208. Looked at the "App". Total of 5 J "Upgrades" showing. We were also showing as "Standby" but also on Upgrade. Me and the Mrs. #1 and #2 (standby earlier flight - confirmed J). PAX #3 was SE in Y - waiting for upgrade and Pax #4-5 were PY1/J10 staff. This would appear to show that confirmed seat later flight - standby earlier - can have J onload priority over Y-Upgrades.

So - Anyone else have any insight on the upgrade list - now that we can actually see what is on the list. The reason I knew what was on the list was just through some "chit chat" with the gate agent (since I am somewhat familiar with the terms - it helped a bit).
That absolutely contradicts what I've been told and my own personal experiences.

I've always been behind all revenue upgrades when I've been doing revenue standby.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr

This contradicts my experience a well. I've been told many times now that eUps for pax confirmed on a flight would be processed before any standby pax were allowed to clear the list.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:22 pm

I have an idea.

I'll book SFO-YVR in J.
You book SFO-YVR in Y on an earlier flight and request an upgrade.

I'll go standby on that earlier flight.

We can see who's higher
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Hi,

I need some quick questions answered which I seem unable to find through my various searches on this forum.

- I am flying LAX -> YYZ on an upcoming flight in an economy H fare there and Q fare back. I currently have this ticket on hold.
- I have no status on AC but am United Platinum so am Star Alliance Gold
- I understand my fare is not upgradeable with miles since only Y, B are (pretty ridiculous given how expensive those fares are) but should be upgradeable with eCertificates or perhaps standby?

Questions:
1. As a United Platinum/Star Alliance Gold member, will I be added to the upgrade list at the gate? I called Air Canada and they said yes, but nothing on these forums seem to indicate that I would. They all speak about AC status, eCertificates
2. If YES to above, does it matter if I buy the flight through United (therefore it will be codeshare) or if I buy through AC but just use my United number to get united miles? Air Canada agent said it does NOT matter and I'd still be on the upgrade list at gate. I don't believe her
3. If I do in fact need some eCertificates, how would I go about getting those? I have some extra RUC's (regional upgrade certificates) on United that may help someone else.

Appreciate any guidance
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ahbi Chang
Questions:
1. As a United Platinum/Star Alliance Gold member, will I be added to the upgrade list at the gate? I called Air Canada and they said yes, but nothing on these forums seem to indicate that I would. They all speak about AC status, eCertificates
2. If YES to above, does it matter if I buy the flight through United (therefore it will be codeshare) or if I buy through AC but just use my United number to get united miles? Air Canada agent said it does NOT matter and I'd still be on the upgrade list at gate. I don't believe her
3. If I do in fact need some eCertificates, how would I go about getting those? I have some extra RUC's (regional upgrade certificates) on United that may help someone else.

Appreciate any guidance
1) No.
2) N/A
3) You'd have to get someone to make you their nominee for the year (unlikely, as each SE can only have 1 nominee). Also, upgrades are linked to AP numbers, so you'd need to get one and put it on your reservation in place of your MP number.

Outside of the above, your best bet would be to pay for an upgrade at checkin.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by rehoult
1) No.
2) N/A
3) You'd have to get someone to make you their nominee for the year (unlikely, as each SE can only have 1 nominee). Also, upgrades are linked to AP numbers, so you'd need to get one and put it on your reservation in place of your MP number.

Thank you! Really appreciate the quick response. I knew I couldn't trust the agent. I do have an AP number with some miles on it but I HATE the Aeroplan company. Can't wait for AC to leave them in 2020.

It sucks Star Alliance flights cost Y,B fares plus 10K miles. I'm flown many times on this route on the 787 dreamliner for 25K united miles and $5.60 one way.

How much have these cash upgrades been for folks on here for a route like LAX - YYZ?

For all my status and points on all 3 US airlines and major hotel programs, it looks like I'm stuck in coach!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:24 pm

Thank you! Really appreciate the quick response. I knew I couldn't trust the agent. I do have an AP number with some miles on it but I HATE the Aeroplan company. Can't wait for AC to leave them in 2020.

It sucks Star Alliance flights cost Y,B fares plus 10K miles. I'm flown many times on this route on the 787 dreamliner for 25K united miles and $5.60 one way.

How much have these cash upgrades been for folks on here for a route like LAX - YYZ?

For all my status and points on all 3 US airlines and major hotel programs, it looks like I'm stuck in coach!
I'd expect US$499+ for that route. One option would be to see if they are flying any planes with Premium Economy on that route and buy that. It's offered on the non-767 widebodies and is close to NA J.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
You can also go into the AC website and see if you can bid on your flight for an upgrade which, if won, will be processed around 4 days out. There are threads on bids and LMUs and which is better value (personally I think LMUs tend to be lower, but they are only available 24 hours out so you may be out of luck).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by rehoult
1) No.
2) N/A

I guess 2) does matter as they are telling me I am ineligible for a LMU due to being on a codeshare flight. Any way around this?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:46 pm

I guess 2) does matter as they are telling me I am ineligible for a LMU due to being on a codeshare flight. Any way around this?
Who's telling you this?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:42 pm

I'll defer to others, but I don't think they are correct. You can't utilize the advance bidding system using a non-AC ticket, but I believe the upgrade at check-in LMU system still works, as it occurs when the ticket is under AC's control.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Please keep in mind that the call centre is often the source of rampant incorrectness and laziness. Call them three times in a row with the same question and you won't get the same answer all three times. It's best you rely on others here.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Please keep in mind that the call centre is often the source of rampant incorrectness and laziness. Call them three times in a row with the same question and you won't get the same answer all three times. It's best you rely on others here.
they should relocate the call centre to within the airport, then the call centre agents would never be wrong!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Just a reminder.....AC has multiple call centres. I've found some centres have outstanding agents who are very informed and helpful, other centres have meh agents, then there are the inexperienced who just don't know things but try to help, a few others are just nasty, and then there is time of day.

Spin the roulette wheel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.