Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Official Air Canada Upgrade Priority

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Thank you Ben! This explains why Mr. CanuckFlyer was upgraded on our recent YYZ-LHR segment whereas I was not. (Note to self: in the future, always submit my own upgrade request a split second before his, not the other way around! )

Could you please clarify the priority in cases where someone is attempting to upgrade a nominee? For example, who gets priority in the following case where there are two competing requests and one available R slot with all else identical except for the following features:
  • A SE sponsor is using his credits to upgrade a nominee with E status
  • An E sponsor is using his credits to upgrade a nominee with SE status

There are lots of possible variations on this theme, but knowing the outcome in the above example should make it easy to generalize.

What you wrote in your original post makes it hard to determine whether the status of only one of the passenger or the sponsor matters (and if so, whose status matters), or whether the status of both the passenger and the status matters.

Thank you! I'm grateful for the information.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE
Thanks for the info - very helpful. My understanding is that previously, upgrades prior to airport control were cleared based on time if request, so this appears to be a change in handling during the upgrade window before check-in.

Can you clarify how this works for requests on the same PNR? If a SE and a non- status member are on the same upgrade request and put in the request at T-7 days, what happens if the request is waitlisted and R space opens up at T-4 days, for example. Are they cleared together, as they would have been in the past? Based on the criteria above, I'd expect the SE to be towards the top, but non status pax would be by the bottom, so how would this be handled. Does the status of the nominating passenger apply? I understand that it always resorted by status at the airport, but would appreciate some clarity on nominated requests and multiple passengers on the same PNR prior to airport control.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:18 am
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danapop
Thanks, Bens. Can you also clarify what happens with respect to priority when I am travelling with someone on the same PNR and the other PAX does not have status? Many FTers have had different experiences and many have been told different things. For example, I was flying with my wife FRA-YYC in May on the same PNR. Many FTers said if it goes to the gate, only her status will matter. I was told by a phone agent, she coat tails on my status all the say. Others have said my wife would have been on her own status. Please advise.
At the gate each traveller is prioritised based on his or her own status.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite

This is great. Thanks Ben!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
And prior to the gate?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:36 am
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rehoult
One quick question, are you able to confirm the order of the fare classes?

i.e. Whether check-in would E/N go above M? At the gate would O/E/N go above Y?
The way our systems are designed, cabin will always come before class. For better or worse, this is the current reality.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rehoult
One quick question, are you able to confirm the order of the fare classes?

i.e. Whether check-in would E/N go above M? At the gate would O/E/N go above Y?
The way our systems are designed, cabin will always come before class. For better or worse, this is the current reality.
So at the gate it would be : O, E, N, Y, B, M etc.

Not an issue for restricted fares as one would expect E,N to come above M. Y and B are out of place. Of course, if most Latitude upgrades clear before T-24, it shouldn't be a huge issue.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K, 2MM, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Diamond
Thank you Ben! Very very helpful!^
regards drumbo
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:05 am

Thanks, just good to know.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for sharing!^

And nice to see at least the upgrade priority at the gate hasn't changed.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, Ben.

One more question.

When priority is based upon status, is there special consideration for MM, 2MM and 3MMers? Or are they just going by SE, E75, E50 status?

Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:34 am
alc

also question about if a connecting PAX rank higher on the list, regardless their Altitude status level. I believe this was an observation that we had.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Huge kudos for this transparency!! I was wondering if Flex HI revenue or Flex LO revenue matters when it comes to upgrades (rumors)? Does the system care or is Flex, as a whole, treated the same irrespective of $ spent - thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Interesting. Then I am surprised we cleared FRA-YYC as it was only J3 at boarding.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Thank you for confirming this. It matches my own experiences. I don't like the current rules and hope that in the future AC will consider changes to keep travelling companions on the same PNR in the same cabin. As an SE, I am willing to give up an upgrade if it means the spouse of a higher priority flyer that is getting upgraded also gets the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.