Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Who has the best J class seats to Europe flying out of YVR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who has the best J class seats to Europe flying out of YVR?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
How do you suggest the OP redeem their Aeroplan points for this?

And there are plenty of things that beat a window seat on the upper deck of a 747 in CW on BA
I also have some AS points to kill. So I suppose I could fly BA in one direction and use Aeroplan points for the other. It might be interesting to compare products!!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prmetime
I also have some AS points to kill. So I suppose I could fly BA in one direction and use Aeroplan points for the other. It might be interesting to compare products!!
The new LH cabin looks mighty fine to me, night and day over their other version. You also have the choice of sharing a foot box with your seat mate, or not . BA CW is a nice option, also I recently flew KLM newly refurbished Business cabin and it was quite nice too although I don't believe it is fitted on the aircraft on the route in question. As usual there are more choices than would first appear, depending on one's circumstances !^
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Quit smoking for a year and that flight will be paid for AND you'll be more flexible on travel. Problem solved!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Quit smoking for a year and that flight will be paid for AND you'll be more flexible on travel. Problem solved!
It's my husband that is the smoker. You can't force someone to quit smoking that isn't ready to.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
I'd recommend using a few extra points (maybe just 1-way for 62k AP) and fly LH First class from YVR directly to FRA or MUC. If it's to FRA try to make sure it's a new 747 interior. Tickets don't show up till 2 weeks before departure, so you need to have a little bit of flexibility on your departure date.

This is BY FAR the best value for points!

Have a look at the First class review here:
http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...ver-to-munich/
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:53 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
The new LH cabin looks mighty fine to me, night and day over their other version. You also have the choice of sharing a foot box with your seat mate, or not .
Surprisingly on the new LH A330 config, only the center 2 seats of 2-2-2 are angled inward, whereas the outer window routes are slightly offset and staggered outward. IE - the seat is a few centimetres ahead of the other one. Look closely in the photo and you can see the offset. Those seats are parallel (not angled inward).

Look closely at other Trip Reports featuring refurbished LH 747 aircraft featuring the new interior, all seats are angled inward as you suggest. I initially thought that they were all inward turned until I experienced otherwise

I didn't notice the difference until I read someone else's trip report on here. Footsies not always mandatory.

Aviation gossip i know.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Surprisingly on the new LH A330 config, only the center 2 seats of 2-2-2 are angled inward, whereas the outer window routes are slightly offset and staggered outward. IE - the seat is a few centimetres ahead of the other one. Look closely in the photo and you can see the offset. Those seats are parallel (not angled inward).

Look closely at other Trip Reports featuring refurbished LH 747 aircraft featuring the new interior, all seats are angled inward as you suggest. I initially thought that they were all inward turned until I experienced otherwise

I didn't notice the difference until I read someone else's trip report on here. Footsies not always mandatory.

Aviation gossip i know.
Oh I was aware of that, and that is why I wrote "or not" !
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philelite
I'd recommend using a few extra points (maybe just 1-way for 62k AP) and fly LH First class from YVR directly to FRA or MUC. If it's to FRA try to make sure it's a new 747 interior. Tickets don't show up till 2 weeks before departure, so you need to have a little bit of flexibility on your departure date.

This is BY FAR the best value for points!

Have a look at the First class review here:
http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...ver-to-munich/
Thanks - great suggestion. Is there ever availability 330 days out? If not, can I redeem in another class and then change to F when availability is there? Thanks again for the info.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Thanks - great suggestion. Is there ever availability 330 days out? If not, can I redeem in another class and then change to F when availability is there? Thanks again for the info.
Yes, you could book a regular J seat any flight (LH or AC) using AP points, then start checking on availability about 15 days before departure for LH F seat. If you find one you can call AP and switch into that flight. You'll have to pay $90 change fee, but it'll be worth it! They will adjust the points taken from your account and taxes. I'd recommend booking one-way awards cause if you book round-trip and only get in LH F on the way there you still have to use 120k points, whereas if you book it one-way then they will just increase 45k to 62k for the trip there. Then you can deal with the return trip separately.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:30 am

No. But you can change to f when it opens t-14
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by yerffej201
*for $102 a ticket + additional scamcharges of course

LH F is probably the only thing worth the $1200+ co-pay though.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philelite
Yes, you could book a regular J seat any flight (LH or AC) using AP points, then start checking on availability about 15 days before departure for LH F seat. If you find one you can call AP and switch into that flight. You'll have to pay $90 change fee, but it'll be worth it! They will adjust the points taken from your account and taxes. I'd recommend booking one-way awards cause if you book round-trip and only get in LH F on the way there you still have to use 120k points, whereas if you book it one-way then they will just increase 45k to 62k for the trip there. Then you can deal with the return trip separately.
Great information and suggestion. Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Great! Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Am I crazy to think that there may be availability on LX YVR-ZRH in Sept/15? Just building list of possible no or little YQ which can get us there in the shortest duration. Thanks again.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:04 pm

Am I crazy to think that there may be availability on LX YVR-ZRH in Sept/15? Just building list of possible no or little YQ which can get us there in the shortest duration. Thanks again.
the YVR-ZRH is operated by edelweiss which has angled flats in j, i believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.