Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Official AC Representative Q&A Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jasper2009
Dear AC forum members,

We're sure most of you have been following New AC Presence on FT which has received a huge amount of responses.

In order to better manage the discussion and to ensure the AC representatives have a chance to read and reply to all the comments and questions, we've decided to slightly modify the format of the discussion:

(1) The core purpose of this thread is to allow a dialogue between FTers and AC management. As in the previous thread you may ask questions and provide feedback to AC management and the AC representatives will do their best to reply to the feedback/questions posted.
(2) FTers are welcome to reply to any of the AC representatives' posts.
(3) We kindly ask that FTers refrain from replying to other FTers' posts. The goal is to have a more streamlined Q&A thread.
(4) If you have any suggestions regarding this thread, kindly contact any of the moderators via PM or send a message using the RBP button.
(5) Should you not have received a reply to a question raised in the previous AC presence thread, you may re-post it in the new thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

And, by multiple requests from forum members, this thread is now a sticky!

Air Canada forum moderators
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:58 pm

Amex AeroplanPlus Platinum Lounge Access on Rouge tix?

Hi,
The fine print on Amex' website may be out of date, or it may be accurate, or it may simply be wrong. What is MLL's policy for admitting Rouge passengers who present an American Express Aeroplan Plus Platinum card? This card guarantees access when travelling "Air Canada, Air Canada Express..." but doesn't specifically mention Rouge.

Please be sure of the answer.
Many thanks for being here!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Ben, with the new carry on restriction/enforcement, will I still be able to bring my CPAP machine as a third and medically necessary bag (in addition to my roller bag and personal item) as I have done in days gone by? I had recently squeezed my CPAP into my roll on bag but it will now put the roll on bag weight over the limit so the CPAP will go back into it's own dedicated bag as it used to be many months ago.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:32 pm

Hi there

I'd like to recommend that the bag sizers be designed using metal (or nice see through plastic) like the United sizers below so that wheels and other parts do not get stuck in between the metal bars. Also, make it easier to fit in and remove quickly, especially if it will be used often.

Also I recommend up to an extra 1 inch of wiggle-room / space for quick and easy removal and fitting.

Alternative, the option which I favour more is to have an "open" style sizer which allows quick measurement and no intrusion, and keep things professional and civilized, like this one:

If you don't see the green shaded area / white line, the bag doesn't go on

I'd be happy to measure my bag every time I fly (2x / week) with the above device.

Of course, would recommend a better design that conforms to AC's new image and branding standards.

Last edited by theseatbelt; Oct 1, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
YOW-YUL - will AC consider making these flights Rapidair flights?

As you know, YYZ-YUL, YYZ-YUL, YYZ-YOW flights are considered Rapidair flights, for all benefits - regular and promotional.

This has not been the case with YOW-YUL. Will AC consider changing that?

PS-will AC make the new YYZ-Mont Tremblant flights officially Rapidair flights?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Air Canada rouge is for routes that, for the most part, are determined to be primarily leisure. Our Network Planning team does a great job of forecasting viability for new routes and optimising existing routes (e.g. aircraft types, frequencies, timings, etc.). I can't say for certain in this case, but I would imagine they analysed the YYZLIM flight and determined that the types of fares we were getting weren't in line with other flights to Central/South America that may cater to a more varied customer base, and thus felt that ACr was more appropriate/viable than AC mainline. I can only emphasise that it is nigh impossible to determine the customer breakdown from only one or a handful of flights; our Network Planning team has at their disposal a variety of analytical tools and historical data to assist with their analysis.
Thanks Ben. You are quite wrong if you think I based my observation on “only one or a handful of flights”. Nevertheless, a useful strategy I was taught was to repeat back to ensure proper communication. So what I hear you telling me is that my analysis is wrong and that the AC Network Planning team has more correctly determined that YYZLIM is a leisure route. That explains my initial confusion: vacation vs leisure. Summary: rouge is for leisure routes and AC believes YYZLIM is primarily a leisure route. Do I understand what you are saying correctly?

I will admit I didn't really understand the part about the experts knowing the motivation of flyers by using fare sales history. Could you explain better your phrase “types of fares we were getting weren't in line with other flights to Central/South America that may cater to a more varied customer base”? More varied than business vs leisure?

Supplemental question: To clarify things, what is your operational definition of a “leisure” route? Thinking about it, that may be a hard question for you to answer. Is it as simple as, if you not flying for business then you are flying for leisure? Is so, are not almost all your international flights leisure and hence rouge-able?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: AC 75K
Ben(s),

I'm curious if there will ever be a moment where AC considers joining Deutsche Bahn's Rail&Fly Program (http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/tourism...-and-fly.shtml), whereby people catching an international flight within Germany, and certain cities in Austria and Holland, on an eligible carrier can purchase a train ticket to/from their flight for 29€.

Considering AC's European Flight Pass destinations, this would be of HUGE advantage to the many of us who fly into MUC or FRA and then travel onwards to other cities within Germany to which AC does not have a direct flights from Canada (Berlin, Cologne, Stuttgart come to mind as major concentration points).

Several US carriers have this option, and thusly I was wondering / asking if this might also be a possibility for AC? Considering the density of the German train network, it could be a huge asset (and make a FP purchase all the more valuable, since it would exponentially expand the number of final destinations, at least within the middle of Europe).
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:34 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Thanks Ben. You are quite wrong if you think I based my observation on “only one or a handful of flights”. Nevertheless, a useful strategy I was taught was to repeat back to ensure proper communication. So what I hear you telling me is that my analysis is wrong and that the AC Network Planning team has more correctly determined that YYZLIM is a leisure route. That explains my initial confusion: vacation vs leisure. Summary: rouge is for leisure routes and AC believes YYZLIM is primarily a leisure route. Do I understand what you are saying correctly?

I will admit I didn't really understand the part about the experts knowing the motivation of flyers by using fare sales history. Could you explain better your phrase “types of fares we were getting weren't in line with other flights to Central/South America that may cater to a more varied customer base”? More varied than business vs leisure?

Supplemental question: To clarify things, what is your operational definition of a “leisure” route? Thinking about it, that may be a hard question for you to answer. Is it as simple as, if you not flying for business then you are flying for leisure? Is so, are not almost all your international flights leisure and hence rouge-able?
I'm not going to argue with you on the decision to use rouge vs mainline on YYZLIM, or any other route for that matter. I don't work in Planning, but my colleagues that do are very talented and determine which routes are more viable as one vs the other.

Regarding your supplemental question, I would say that leisure routes are primarily high traffic/low yield and cater to a more leisure customer. I'm sure that some people may fly to CUN or PVR for business, for example, but I would imagine the majority of travellers are going there for vacation. Take from that what you will.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:35 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by itineranthistorian
Ben(s),

I'm curious if there will ever be a moment where AC considers joining Deutsche Bahn's Rail&Fly Program (http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/tourism...-and-fly.shtml), whereby people catching an international flight within Germany, and certain cities in Austria and Holland, on an eligible carrier can purchase a train ticket to/from their flight for 29€.

Considering AC's European Flight Pass destinations, this would be of HUGE advantage to the many of us who fly into MUC or FRA and then travel onwards to other cities within Germany to which AC does not have a direct flights from Canada (Berlin, Cologne, Stuttgart come to mind as major concentration points).

Several US carriers have this option, and thusly I was wondering / asking if this might also be a possibility for AC? Considering the density of the German train network, it could be a huge asset (and make a FP purchase all the more valuable, since it would exponentially expand the number of final destinations, at least within the middle of Europe).
This is something I've heard talk about actually, but I can't say at what stage in the negotiations process we are. Suffice to say it is on our radar!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:54 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
Ben, with the new carry on restriction/enforcement, will I still be able to bring my CPAP machine as a third and medically necessary bag (in addition to my roller bag and personal item) as I have done in days gone by? I had recently squeezed my CPAP into my roll on bag but it will now put the roll on bag weight over the limit so the CPAP will go back into it's own dedicated bag as it used to be many months ago.
No change to that. As long as the medical device belongs to you, we will accept it in addition to the carry on allowance.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by theseatbelt
Bens

Have you considered displaying the boarding order at gates to help with the boarding issues? e.g. on a sign or roll up banner?

It'd be a sign that actually shows the boarding order to reduce confusion, like this:

BOARDING ORDER
---------------------------------------
Priority Boarding
Business Class
Altitude Superelite, Elite
Star Alliance Gold
----------------------------------------
Families with small children
Passengers needing assistance
-----------------------------------------
Economy class rows 50 and higher
Economy class rows 30 and higher
All passengers
Enjoy your flight!
Different aircraft types so you can't have something that specific for Economy Class. Many customers don't like to read signs when they're at the gate (we have the eligibility listed out for the Priority Boarding lane but it doesn't stop most people from trying to get into it) - hence the decision to go to zonal boarding.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
How soon is very soon? 30 days very soon? or by Jan 1, 2015 very soon?
Target by the end of the year but as most know with IT work, there's never a sure thing. If not by end of year then Q1 2015 for sure.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
No change to that. As long as the medical device belongs to you, we will accept it in addition to the carry on allowance.
Thanks Andrew.

Is there a weight restriction to a medical bag? Clearly trying to pass off a 45 lb bag as a CPAP medical device is not reasonable but I sometimes travel with 0.5L-1L of distilled water (depends on destination and availability of distilled water there) for my CPAP and I can see weight becoming questionable if there are hard limits.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:02 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Target by the end of the year but as most know with IT work, there's never a sure thing. If not by end of year then Q1 2015 for sure.
Holy cow, Andrew, you are back? 3 posts in a row?

I guess the workload on this thread is getting a bit heavy? Nice to see a helping hand....
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold

I am based in YUL and often I connect through YYZ. My issue with going through this airport is when I return home from an international flight: you have to go through passport control, pick up bags, then customs and then re-check bags and finally go through security to catch the lest leg of my trip.

It is this last step that I wonder if it could be improved, what about a faster access from the re-check bags point to the boarding gates? (Also faster delivery of bags won't hurt)

Last week Coming back to YUL from CPH, I only had 1:15 to catch my plane in YYZ. I have Nexus so I skipped the line at passport control. My bag was also tag as priority, so it came relatively fast, but then it was a race against the clock to go through customs, drop my bag, go upstairs and pass security and then a last sprint to get to the gate. I barely made it.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:54 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by yyzAAguy
Hi,
The fine print on Amex' website may be out of date, or it may be accurate, or it may simply be wrong. What is MLL's policy for admitting Rouge passengers who present an American Express Aeroplan Plus Platinum card? This card guarantees access when travelling "Air Canada, Air Canada Express..." but doesn't specifically mention Rouge.

Please be sure of the answer.
Many thanks for being here!
Rouge is treated as another AC-branded carrier in this case, so you'd be fine with any Amex that would normally grant you access to the lounges. I'm guessing it's just outdated literature from Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.