Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Official AC Representative Q&A Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jasper2009
Dear AC forum members,

We're sure most of you have been following New AC Presence on FT which has received a huge amount of responses.

In order to better manage the discussion and to ensure the AC representatives have a chance to read and reply to all the comments and questions, we've decided to slightly modify the format of the discussion:

(1) The core purpose of this thread is to allow a dialogue between FTers and AC management. As in the previous thread you may ask questions and provide feedback to AC management and the AC representatives will do their best to reply to the feedback/questions posted.
(2) FTers are welcome to reply to any of the AC representatives' posts.
(3) We kindly ask that FTers refrain from replying to other FTers' posts. The goal is to have a more streamlined Q&A thread.
(4) If you have any suggestions regarding this thread, kindly contact any of the moderators via PM or send a message using the RBP button.
(5) Should you not have received a reply to a question raised in the previous AC presence thread, you may re-post it in the new thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

And, by multiple requests from forum members, this thread is now a sticky!

Air Canada forum moderators
Print Wikipost

Official AC Representative Q&A Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Sorry about that. We'll take a look right away.

UPDATE: We are investigating, but initial indications point a synchronisation mishap between different inventory systems. Hoping to resolve ASAP.
Any update on this issue?

Here is another example. YOW-LGA on Sep. 20. The regular website gives 20 different options for purchase at the Tango fare level. Searching through the flight pass interface for my "New York Commuter Tango" flight pass, there are only 2 options presented (neither of which work for me because I need to arrive before noon). I'm getting really frustrated with this.

Last time this issue came up for me (when I posted here initially), I ended up booking the Raccoon. I'll miss the MLL access (and barely notice the lost 25% mileage accrual), but it was $20 cheaper than the flight pass price.

Is it possible to do flight pass bookings by phone when there are glitches like this? (I am hesitant to even try because I've never called AC and had less than a 45 minute wait time).
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I don't think this is set to change any time soon, but I'll pass on your comments to our Catering team.
Just so that there's balance in the input to you, and with the greatest of respect to the OP ... I really like the vinaigrette dressing.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:56 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by yvr76
Someone that has always bothered me is that unless a pax has status, preferred seats for Y segments on a J ticket are not complementary.

e.g. I once booked my Dad on a paid J itinerary with 2 segments (A320 and DH3). I was unable to select the bulkhead row for him without paying the preferred seat surcharge.

If you're on a Business class ticket, and a J cabin is not available for a particular segment, then why aren't preferred seats complementary?
I'm not sure why this is the case. Let me see if I can find out the reason. To be honest, I'm expecting it's an IT limitation.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
arrivals lounge Heathrow

"The new London Heathrow arrivals Lounge in Terminal 2 is now open. Access policies have been revised, and our Altitude Super Elite 100K members can invite one guest into this Lounge when arriving in London from any Air Canada international flight.
Learn more"
When following the learn more link the information is different than in the email quoted above which was received yesterday with subject "Updates about the Calgary Maple Leaf Lounge and the London Arrivals Lounge"
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yvr76
If you're on a Business class ticket, and a J cabin is not available for a particular segment, then why aren't preferred seats complementary?
I'm not sure why this is the case. Let me see if I can find out the reason. To be honest, I'm expecting it's an IT limitation.
Thanks. I see this becoming more an issue as PE is rolled out throughout the widebody fleet. e.g. YYZ-YVR-HKG in restrict PE - first segment on a 321 and the next on a 77P. Seems to me that you'd want to let the pax select a preferred seat on the 321 free of charge.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:43 am

Still hoping for an answer on my previous question: When AC makes reward seats available for booking does it release all the seats upfront at 355 days or are additional seats released closer to the flight date? If the later does occur, for approx. what % of flights does this happen?

If you are unable or chose not to answer questions (as is obviously your right) maybe you could indicate so. Thanks.

Last edited by BrotherBranwell; Aug 1, 2014 at 2:16 pm
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
PE Service Questions

Hi Ben and Ben,

For PE from YVR - HKG as I understand (based on recent feedback) that the first meal and snack will be on a proper tray with proper glassware and cutlery.

However, can you please confirm how the second meal will arrive, and if, on this long flight, if it will be a (domestic) j-class standard to be consistent with the first meal, or something from regular Y class?

Also important to ask, is why it appears that regular Y class wine is being served in PE?

There is only one red and one white wine that are barely drinkable at best in normal Y class, but the Air Canada website information on PE, makes it pretty clear that there is a full choice of different wines (more than 2), so this to me would indicate j-class wines.

Also, other carriers with PE service proper wine selections, and provide the entire PE experience with a premium product (meals, etc.) throughout the entire flight.

From aircanada.com - Wine and Beverages:

Choose from a selection of red and white wines, as well as beer, soft drinks, juice, coffee and tea to accompany your meals.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Originally Posted by doubleflier
Hi Ben and Ben,

For PE from YVR - HKG as I understand (based on recent feedback) that the first meal and snack will be on a proper tray with proper glassware and cutlery.

However, can you please confirm how the second meal will arrive, and if, on this long flight, if it will be a (domestic) j-class standard to be consistent with the first meal, or something from regular Y class?

Also important to ask, is why it appears that regular Y class wine is being served in PE?

There is only one red and one white wine that are barely drinkable at best in normal Y class, but the Air Canada website information on PE, makes it pretty clear that there is a full choice of different wines (more than 2), so this to me would indicate j-class wines.

Also, other carriers with PE service proper wine selections, and provide the entire PE experience with a premium product (meals, etc.) throughout the entire flight.

From aircanada.com - Wine and Beverages:

Choose from a selection of red and white wines, as well as beer, soft drinks, juice, coffee and tea to accompany your meals.
I can confirm that the wine that was served to us on PE class on 871 (777HD) earlier this month was the regular Y-class wine (small plastic bottle) poured by the FA in a J-class glass... not what I expected...

Last edited by run&fly; Aug 1, 2014 at 2:39 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Thanks run&fly.

Ben and Ben,

based on this post, can I ask how this matches the information provided on www.aircanada.com?

Choose from a selection of red and white wines would indicate more than one red and one white, otherwise it should say choose from red or white wine.

Also, if Air Canada is going down the road of Premium Economy, should the whole experience not be somewhat of a premium product?

Not just a part of it (first meal, etc.).

I look forward to your comments.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:54 pm

Just wanted to provide a bit of feedback on the Corporate Rewards program.

First, I've had nothing but pleasant dealings with the group and do want to complement AC on designing a program to help businesses that are otherwise too small to negotiate an agreement with a carrier. However, when talking to them today about how revenue is calculated, I came up with two items of concern:

1) Nowhere on the CR website does it explain revenue or how it's calculated (i.e. what counts, and that with the exception of flight passes, it only counts once flown). My honest guess was that I just added up everything I paid and when it hit $20K I'd get an email. I called because I'm not at $23K and hadn't got an email.
2) Only base fare counts as revenue. Not counting taxes / 3rd party fees makes sense, and I was optimistic to think it'd be included. But to not count the fuel surcharge is outrageous, and frankly just complete BS. It goes right into your pocket and there is no reason it shouldn't count. Looking at my report, I've of $4,690 of international base fare and $4,898 of international 'taxes and fees'. While some of that is taxes, 50%+ of it is fuel surcharges and not getting credit for that is grating.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Double catering on YYZ/YUL-SFO/LAX

Hi Ben and Ben,

I fly YYZ-SFO a lot, but I think this also would apply to YYZ-LAX, YUL-SFO/LAX.

A few years ago (2010/2011?), these flights were not double catered, so we would get different meal choices on the YYZ-SFO and SFO-YYZ legs (including different salad and different main courses, also different bread rolls and ice cream). This was good as it introduced some variety in the meals that are only otherwise rotated monthly.

Then in the last couple of years (2012?), these flights switched to being double catered out of Canada, resulting in the exact same meals westbound and eastbound. This gets old fast.

I'm sure this was done for some sort of cost or logistical reasons, but any chance we could go back to single catering on these routes (at the very minimum the main courses)? After all, AC does classify these routes as 'premium long-haul'.

Thanks!

Last edited by D582; Aug 1, 2014 at 1:01 am
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Ben,

Still no love on trying to select a seat from the flight pass booking page. This time tried on Safari, Firefox and Chrome on my Mac, as well as Firefox on a PC (Explorer wouldn't even bring up the flight pass bookings?). Always goes to a screen that says 'we're Sorry'. Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:19 am
Suspended

Ben:

Arriving from overseas in J and connecting in Y (due to one-class configuration), at any AC gateway in Canada (or elsewhere), do MLL allow access?

It seems according to the official rules, no, but in practice it seems to be ok. It would be nice to have an official position in case any lounge personnel might be confused about it.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by theseatbelt
Ben,

4 hour baggage check-in rule - can it be improved?
1) Is there a possibility that the 4 hour baggage check-in rule be expanded to 5 hours or a little more in Canadian airports where AC has all-day presence? e.g. Winnipeg, Toronto, Calgary, etc. It was a quite annoying to wait around in Winnipeg outside the check-in area because I was not allowed to check in at 5 hours before the flight! I had to wait an hour hanging around being unproductive. I had taken a connecting flight (non-AC) from the north and the timing was not adjustable. It provides greater convenience and I'm sure 1 hour would not make a big difference. It also allows us to not worry about our bags and use the lounge a bit more.

Pre-recorded announcements - can it be introduced and used at option of FA?
2) I spoke about this on another thread but I'd like to bring it up here to your attention. Some flight attendants are good at making PA announcements. Others (not a majority - probably 30% of the time) are just horrible or just not interested. Expressionless, dull, not friendly and generally not pleasing. Usually happens on the evening flights when it's their last shift. They do it because they have to. It comes out across so clearly in their tone. It just is not pleasing at all and it frustrates me to listen to a person who make announcements just for the sake of speaking into the microphone. Especially after a long and tiring flight.

Thus, I highly recommend that AC provides FAs the option to use pre-recorded messages for basic announcements like the landing announcements, seatbelts, pre-take off, etc. I know the system has the option to do so. The FA's can choose to use the pre-recorded announcement which are clear, refreshing, and professional, or if they are feeling in a good mood they can make their own announcements. Other airlines like SAA has a great mix - the FA's can either use pre-recorded or they can do the announcements themselves. But please, do not make a flying experience worse by forcing an FA who is tired to make announcements in a dull and unpleasant tone. It just makes us passengers more "tired" of the flying experience and not a good image for Air Canada.

Standby option during online check in - can options be extended?
3) Usually on line check in shows 2 options which seems to be the "next two" options. e.g. flight at 3pm, but options to standby is 10am and 11am... none for the rest of the day shows and only limited to two. Can this be fixed/improved so that standby option can be extended to all flights for the day?

Online check-in boarding pass - can the formatting/size be fixed?
On Google chrome the boarding pass always prints into two pages because of the 25% coupon ad. Can the boarding pass please be resized by a little so that everything prints on 1 page and I don't have to select "print page 1 of 2 only" all the time? See below for what I mean.

Bumping. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by doubleflier
Thanks run&fly.

Ben and Ben,

based on this post, can I ask how this matches the information provided on www.aircanada.com?

Choose from a selection of red and white wines would indicate more than one red and one white, otherwise it should say choose from red or white wine.

Also, if Air Canada is going down the road of Premium Economy, should the whole experience not be somewhat of a premium product?

Not just a part of it (first meal, etc.).

I look forward to your comments.

Bump.

Ben, apologize for the bother but do you have any comments?

I am hoping to sort this out with enough time to decide if I want to alter my routing and avoid the high-density aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.