Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR-SFO-YVR Same Day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

YVR-SFO-YVR Same Day

I need to drop by SFO for a quick meeting. I don't really want to overnight there so I wanted to do AC566 down (departing 1420 arriving 1637) and then come back to YVR on AC565 (departing 2025 arriving 2240).

On the way back I'll be continuing on to YEG though, and there are no flights after 2240 that night.

1. Am I correct in understanding that I can still book AC565 on the return, overnight in YVR as long as I take the next flight out to YEG the next morning? Are they lenient on this rule at all? The next flight out is probably at 6 or 7 AM, but I'd prefer 8 AM. Does it depend on the agent or just the booking engine?

2. That should be sufficient padding but if any IRROPS occur I'm assuming they'd just put me on the next flight out (allowing me to reschedule my return) since I'm on Southwestern J flight pass?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeym
I need to drop by SFO for a quick meeting. I don't really want to overnight there so I wanted to do AC566 down (departing 1420 arriving 1637) and then come back to YVR on AC565 (departing 2025 arriving 2240).

On the way back I'll be continuing on to YEG though, and there are no flights after 2240 that night.

1. Am I correct in understanding that I can still book AC565 on the return, overnight in YVR as long as I take the next flight out to YEG the next morning? Are they lenient on this rule at all? The next flight out is probably at 6 or 7 AM, but I'd prefer 8 AM. Does it depend on the agent or just the booking engine?

2. That should be sufficient padding but if any IRROPS occur I'm assuming they'd just put me on the next flight out (allowing me to reschedule my return) since I'm on Southwestern J flight pass?
You could inquire about rerouting via YYZ in the event of IRROPS.
My bigger concern is how you are going to get a meeting done in <4 hours and eat.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
My bigger concern is how you are going to get a meeting done in <4 hours and eat.
To add to this, SFO has frequent ground delay programs due to low ceiling. If you need to get there in time for something on a limited schedule, take AC560 in the morning.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

I'll grab a protein bar. As for the meeting, I'm just dropping off a hard drive to a colleague. We have strict data handling procedures for some sensitive data. I would normally pawn this off on someone else but don't have anyone available at the moment.

Originally Posted by yvr76
To add to this, SFO has frequent ground delay programs due to low ceiling. If you need to get there in time for something on a limited schedule, take AC560 in the morning.
The timing isn't really convenient due to some other obligations.

Coming back I'd really like to get a decent flight out of YVR the next morning at 8 or 9 AM so I can get some decent sleep but I'm imaging that only the 'next flight out' booking would be valid (I remember something about it needs to be in 4 hours or next flight out?).
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:40 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Why bother with YVR?

UA 8366 (direct)

Dep SFO 19:53
Arr YEG 23:44
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Maybe others can speak better to this, but YVR flights aren't usually affected by ground delays at SFO in my experience. Usually the shorter hops like LAX get affected first.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Maybe others can speak better to this, but YVR flights aren't usually affected by ground delays at SFO in my experience. Usually the shorter hops like LAX get affected first.
I took AC560 from YVR to SFO 2 weeks ago for Cisco Live. We pushed from the gate and held in the de-icing bay for 30 minutes due to a ground delay from SFO.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:45 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I do YVR SFO r/t at least 15 times a year and I can attest that they certainly are subject to ground delays.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by trek604
I took AC560 from YVR to SFO 2 weeks ago for Cisco Live. We pushed from the gate and held in the de-icing bay for 30 minutes due to a ground delay from SFO.
I do YVR SFO r/t at least 15 times a year and I can attest that they certainly are subject to ground delays.
Thanks both for the info. Looks like I've been lucky in the past!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by yvrgary
Why bother with YVR?

UA 8366 (direct)

Great question.
YEGers should be supporting the n/s they have ... Odd that so many are vocal against AC for not having direct t/b routes, while some choose inefficient connections (seemingly) to stay on AC metal?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvrgary
Why bother with YVR?

UA 8366 (direct)

Flight pass requires AC metal.

The pass expires in a month or two so I'd rather use it than buy a direct. They'd book it for me no problem, but a bit of a waste if I have a pass.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by mikeym
Flight pass requires AC metal.

The pass expires in a month or two so I'd rather use it than buy a direct. They'd book it for me no problem, but a bit of a waste if I have a pass.
What's it going to cost to overnight in YVR? Might not be that much of a waste if you end up spending $120+ for a hotel room, etc.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
You could inquire about rerouting via YYZ in the event of IRROPS.
I've done it many times on trips where i have a quick customer meeting. Depends on the city obviously and the relative proximity of the meeting to the airport, but in many cases it's easily done.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Yeah, we do YVR-LAX same-days a couple times a year.

It's not a ton of fun, but it's doable.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Great question.
YEGers should be supporting the n/s they have ... Odd that so many are vocal against AC for not having direct t/b routes, while some choose inefficient connections (seemingly) to stay on AC metal?
I would just go with lowest fare that earns full mileage which is neither of the two or UA if crediting to MP, AA if crediting to AA, AS/DL if crediting to AS (DL slightly preferred due to SPG status.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.