Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ottawa to allow electronic devices during all phases of flight

Old May 26, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otta...ghts-1.2654277

Airline passengers will soon be able to use their electronic devices on flights, according to the federal government.

Transport Minister Lisa Raitt said air passengers will be able to use their portable electronic devices including cameras, tablets, gaming consoles and computers during takeoff, ascent, descent and landing of a flight, as long as the devices are in non-transmitting, or flight, mode.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:23 am

about time.
Thanks for the news.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Good news for AC's COO who whipped out his phone and started reading emails on final in to YYZ the other day!
Old May 26, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite

Haha, I was just thinking about this on my flight this morning. Why can't I continue to use my iPad on landing/take-off like I can on a US airline. Good news!
Old May 26, 2014, 11:53 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Sounds like Transport Canada did their usual due diligence: Let the US do it, wait to see if it makes planes crash...Nope? OK, we can do it here.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dorian
Good news for AC's COO who whipped out his phone and started reading emails on final in to YYZ the other day!
I've seen dead heading pilots so this as well, and often have to be scolded by the SD.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by tireman77
Sounds like Transport Canada did their usual due diligence: Let the US do it, wait to see if it makes planes crash...Nope? OK, we can do it here.
So true! Well played ^
Old May 26, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC SE 200K, SPG PLAT, HH DIAMOND
I can't wait to set up my scanner, printer, 3D printer and server in my seat soon!
Old May 26, 2014, 12:52 pm

I'm going to miss the Blackberry scene of the Air Canada safety video...
Old May 26, 2014, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Computers? Not that I think it's much worse than a large hard cover book, but I think that's REALLY pushing it.
Old May 26, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Computers? Not that I think it's much worse than a large hard cover book, but I think that's REALLY pushing it.
I think they mean tablet computers as that is what is mentioned in the AC release:

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=770

What's annoying is they are maintaining the "earbuds connected to IFE" rule - why? US Carriers don't require that - is it a Transport Canada rule or AC?

Last edited by martyYOW; May 26, 2014 at 1:20 pm Reason: typo
Old May 26, 2014, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by martyYOW
I think they mean tablet computers as that is what is mentioned in the AC release:

What's annoying is they are maintaining the "earbuds connected to IFE" rule - why? US Carriers don't require that - is it a Transport Canada rule or AC?
TC
Old May 26, 2014, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by martyYOW

I understand part of that rule. The "connected to IFE" part.

If I put on my noise cancelling headphones, turn up some music on my phone, and close my eyes, I would absolutely not hear any important information that's broadcast.

Is that a good enough reason? I don't know. But at least I understand the reason, which is more than you can say for most rules
Old May 26, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I understand part of that rule. The "connected to IFE" part.

If I put on my noise cancelling headphones, turn up some music on my phone, and close my eyes, I would absolutely not hear any important information that's broadcast.

Is that a good enough reason? I don't know. But at least I understand the reason, which is more than you can say for most rules
That's a very valid point.
Old May 26, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Finally ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.