Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Do people ever assume you don't have Altitude/Nexus/Executive ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do people ever assume you don't have Altitude/Nexus/Executive ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
As a white male in my 40s, 240 lbs and 6'4", I don't fit anyone's biases about who should not be in the priority line, regardless of what I'm wearing -- and I'm not a natural candidate to be rude to about anything for that matter

And I'm generally a nonconfrontational fellow, but the other day it did fell on me to educate a boor who blithely inserted himself into the priority boarding line in between me and my colleague just behind me -- a young woman in her 20s, a *G and travelling like me in J. Upon being gently challenged "I think the line ends over there", he responded "Oh, I'm priority boarding -- for people in business class and frequent travellers, you know". It seemed a verbal tongue lashing was in order so I delivered it. He left the priority line with rather a red face. He wasn't in J later on, I noticed.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Just to add an international flavour. AC in LIM. In Peru, there is a law requiring a Preferencial line (Priority line) for old people, discapacitado, pregnant, or with young kids, who load first... (yes, even before Super Duper Elites). Not sure if I should consider it a compliment when they sometimes ask me to step aside to let the Preferencial pass.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Twice at ORD I have flown NH ORD-NRT, when approaching the priority check-in
counters I was asked if I am travelling in business class. Both times I answered
" No", and was pointed to the economy checkin.

I loved ignoring the direction and walking over to the First Class checkin!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
As a university student flying using my upgrades on rapidair flights, I often am told that my baggage may not be stored in the front of the plane, or that my jacket will not be hung up (until they see my BP that is).

Another side note, in the MLL when using lounge access cards, I would ALWAYS be asked for ID, but now a month later, with my E35K and MLL worldwide card, I am NEVER asked.

Security is never a problem in YOW, although occasionally I am told priority boarding or check-in is not for me.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by MrMacko
Remember how you used to get angry when you got carded at the beer store? And how flattered you are later on when the same thing happens!
When I was 16, people used to tell me that I looked like Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Now people tell me that I look like Stephen Harper.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by i59bravo
Now people tell me that I look like Stephen Harper.
With friends like those, who needs enemies?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite
Originally Posted by danapop
I'm 29 and rarely travel in a suit. I change at the airport because I like to be comfortable. So usually jeans, a t shirt and some hipster chuck taylor hitops. Never have I been asked to move or questioned about which line I am in. I think the proportion of young SE/elites is getting higher because we haven't learned the value of staying home yet.
Interesting point. 28 years old here and am already at 85K this year. 3rd year of SE now. Still haven't learned my lesson - don't stay home enough.

Rarely get challenged about status anymore - I think it's because I have a sort of blank face that says "I'm grinding my way through the airport for the nth time"

Last edited by Prewrappedbacon; Apr 23, 2014 at 8:32 pm
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I have never had an issue (yes i'm an engineer). I dress biz casual...in fact this thread surprised me! in my 20's...
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
As for the OP, how old are you?
Early 30's, with a few of grey hairs.

Reading the thread though, I've learned:

1. I don't have it that bad.
2. There's a lot of younger SE's on here.
3. The FT crowd is predominately a casual dressing, unwashed looking group.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danapop
One thing I do find funny is my 2 year old son has a nexus card.... That gets some looks
I didn't know that kids that age can get Nexus. Mental note for future planning/trolling.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by i59bravo
When I was 16, people used to tell me that I looked like Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Now people tell me that I look like Stephen Harper.
Stevie's still partying it up. Are you?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/04...ers-residence/
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Early 30's, with a few of grey hairs.

Reading the thread though, I've learned:

1. I don't have it that bad.
2. There's a lot of younger SE's on here.
3. The FT crowd is predominately a casual dressing, unwashed looking group.
Usually when I'm challenged (the worst was by CBSA in the YVR baggage claim area), it's because I'm in jeans, a t-shirt, maybe a hoody, and wearing a backpack. I've never been challenged with a roller with my tags clearly visible (which is another reason I put them on even my backpack).

Actually, even being freshly shaved can take a few years off my face, which, at my age, makes a big difference (student vs. non-student).

Although the one time I went from the beach to YVR in my swimsuit and a t-shirt and sand all over me... not a single question. Not even when I told the MLL agent "I need a shower"
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
o_O why would CBSA challenge you?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: E50K
I might be the oldest person on this thread, and I think I am usually the oldest person in the priority line.

I can't remember the last time I was questioned; in fact, I think everyone assumes I am heading to the front of the plane, am SE, or whatever.

In reality, I have never been SE, and never will be -- I might not even make 25K this year, as my heavy travel days wind down. (In other words, I have just eight more months of status that matters at all.)

I think one reason for my success is that I tend to know what I am doing, and if I don't, I fake it well. But I suspect that my age is the most important factor.

So be patient, everyone. In just 30 years, they won't question you.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by maradori
o_O why would CBSA challenge you?
I imagine a young 20's looking guy in shorts and a t-shirt, with just a backpack, hurrying through customs (after arriving from the US) on a Thursday morning, seems a little off.

She was cool with it, even after I explained Earn Your Wings to her, but it's the only time I've ever been stopped by CBSA between the NEXUS machine and the exit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.