Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights within North America

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights within North America

Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kwflyer
Except for those business travellers who can't use ''I'm Flying'' as an excuse to disconnect from the office/boss.
Finally someone that understands my predicament
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
It should be free for business class.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Cana2013
But it likely won't be.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Originally Posted by danapop
Yes but probably not for E50k
Here's an opportunity for them to make Distinction Diamond actually worth something-how about free Wifi for the Diamonds?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by muskoka
Here's an opportunity for them to make Distinction Diamond actually worth something-how about free Wifi for the Diamonds?
Why would an Aeroplan program provide free services on Air Canada? Its like Shell giving away free Esso gas.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: AP SE, Bonvoy Plat, HH Gold, EC Executive, Hertz Pres Circle, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by danapop
Why would an Aeroplan program provide free services on Air Canada? Its like Shell giving away free Esso gas.
That's a bit of a stretch. There is quite the relationship between AP and AC as oppposed to the relationship (read: competition) between Shell and Esso. It would a value-add to AP members who are collecting points - the more points members collect the more money AP makes selling such points. If this is a benefit that would increase point collection then there's a defintie business case there for AP.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by YYCYYZ
How do the US carriers do it?

Are there are any status/fare discounts?

I'd think it'd be pretty easy to make this an actual "enhancement" for FFs in Altitude.

Simply log in with your Aeroplan number and pw and gain free/discounted wifi access...
If this happens, people will share the login credentials with friends and family, unless the system has a verification method sophisticated enough to check whether the altitude member is actually on the given flight.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
I don't think other carriers provide free wifi access to J pax, so AC probably won't do it either.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by agjil
If this happens, people will share the login credentials with friends and family, unless the system has a verification method sophisticated enough to check whether the altitude member is actually on the given flight.
Maybe it will leverage the MLL wifi authentication system LOLOLOLOL
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
I don't think other carriers provide free wifi access to J pax, so AC probably won't do it either.
FI does for its Saga Class passengers.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by FlyingUsedToBeFun
That's a bit of a stretch. There is quite the relationship between AP and AC as oppposed to the relationship (read: competition) between Shell and Esso. It would a value-add to AP members who are collecting points - the more points members collect the more money AP makes selling such points. If this is a benefit that would increase point collection then there's a defintie business case there for AP.
Your right. It is a bit of a stretch. But AC would need to bill AE for the access as AC is not going to give it for free. This essentially means that all elite would have free access as all elite are distinction black (probably) by de facto and I would venture that 90% of AC elite are D.Diamond. I have hit diamond already and I have only flown 25k miles this year.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Wow, only 5+ years behind AA and DL. Better late than never I guess.
At least AC went with gogo and not the useless UA Wifi system.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:42 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Wow, only 5+ years behind AA and DL. Better late than never I guess.
At least AC went with gogo and not the useless UA Wifi system.
The issue was partly due to Gogo having to build out its air-to-ground Canadian network from scratch. This ATG network didn't exist in Canada five years ago. It went live Q1 2014.

Hence the limited trials for AC as it had no way to offer wifi within Canada until now - only over the US.

At least, that's what I get from the Gogo 2013 annual report.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CT1
The issue was partly due to Gogo having to build out its air-to-ground Canadian network from scratch. This ATG network didn't exist in Canada five years ago. It went live Q1 2014.
Hence the limited trials for AC as it had no way to offer wifi within Canada until now - only over the US.
At least, that's what I get from the Gogo 2013 annual report.
Good one. So let's only test it on 2 LAX flights. Nevermind the 100's of other trans-border flights.
FWIW, on my MIA-YUL AA flights, Gogo works for me inbound past the Quebec/NY border.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:58 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Good one. So let's only test it on 2 LAX flights. Nevermind the 100's of other trans-border flights.
FWIW, on my MIA-YUL AA flights, Gogo works for me inbound past the Quebec/NY border.
Yeah I hear ya - who knows, maybe AC didn't want to deal with the hassle of installation and maintenance until it could get full-time use out of the equipment over all canadian airspace (i.e. full time $$$).

Interestingly both the annual report and the website list UA as an airline partner - maybe Gogo bought the original UA provider?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.