Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights within North America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights within North America

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: AC*SE100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Any chance there can be a discount for Altitude members or J pax?
How do the US carriers do it?

Are there are any status/fare discounts?

I'd think it'd be pretty easy to make this an actual "enhancement" for FFs in Altitude.

Simply log in with your Aeroplan number and pw and gain free/discounted wifi access...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
In Europe SAS offer Wifi & make it free for either Biz pax or FF members with the appropriate status.

The AC announcement is interesting and welcome. The Ka band trial of Global Express particularly so. Should be noted that GX does not have global coverage until 2 satellites are launched this year, hence the 2015 timescale on the AC announcement.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:51 am

Doesn't US amex plat offer free gogo wifi?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
No, there is no discount price for J class. I think you have pay $9.95 for 24 hours.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N830MH
No, there is no discount price for J class. I think you have pay $9.95 for 24 hours.
I know what it says right now. I'm asking for it to change.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
I know what it says right now. I'm asking for it to change.
Me too!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Gogo has the option to buy a pass that covers all the airlines they supply (US, UA, AA, etc).

$14 all day (1 airline)
$5 1 hr (1 flight)
$50 a month (all airlines)
$40 month (1 airline)

http://www.gogoair.com/gogo/listAllProducts.do
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Gogo has the option to buy a pass that covers all the airlines they supply (US, UA, AA, etc).

$14 all day (1 airline)
$5 1 hr (1 flight)
$50 a month (all airlines)
$40 month (1 airline)

http://www.gogoair.com/gogo/listAllProducts.do
$40.00 a month is something we can all write off as a business expense...good value in that pricing at least too me it seems.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SEMM
$40.00 a month is something we can all write off as a business expense...good value in that pricing at least too me it seems.
Yeah. Even for a leisure traveller, if someone is planning on heavy travel during one month, then $40 is a good deal.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
I am glad to see AC has found a viable way to increase ancillary revenue without affecting passenger comfort (no skype calls please).

Now lets just hope they reinvest some of those high profit bucks into their loyalty program.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by kwflyer
I am glad to see AC has found a viable way to increase ancillary revenue without affecting passenger comfort (no skype calls please).

Now lets just hope they reinvest some of those high profit bucks into their loyalty program.
Originally Posted by Air Canada Altitude
Hi everyone

A few years ago, Air Canada was the first Canadian carrier to offer its customers the option to purchase in-flight Wi-Fi. High in the sky today from AC107, we're excited to take things further, and announce our plans to begin rolling out in-flight Wi-Fi connectivity across our North American fleet beginning in May 2014, under an agreement with Gogo.

Expanded In-flight Wi-Fi on Air Canada flights

As many of you are already aware, we presently have two Airbus A319 aircraft equipped for Wi-Fi service, currently operating within Canada and the United States. Subject to a final agreement with Gogo, next month we expect to begin outfitting the following aircraft types with Air-To-Ground Wi-Fi connectivity:
  • Air Canada Airbus A319, A320, A321 and Embraer 190 aircraft
  • Air Canada Express Bombardier CRJ-705 and Embraer 175 aircraft
We expect installation to be complete by the end of 2015.

For the moment, this service will not be available on flights operated by Air Canada rouge. Additionally, while we will not be installing the necessary equipment on our international widebody aircraft at this time, we can confirm that our agreement with Gogo will also provide for future type-testing of Gogo satellite solutions for Wi-Fi on international longhaul flights.

Connectivity Details

By partnering with Gogo, our connectivity solution will offer peak connection speeds comparable to mobile broadband services available on the ground. What's more, based on Gogo's current network coverage, we expect that well over 90% of all flight minutes for travel within North America should offer connectivity without service restrictions.

As you may be aware from using Gogo services on previous Air Canada flights, or with other airlines, there are some restrictions & regulations which prohibit the use of cellular network services (voice or data) during the flight, including Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) applications. Naturally, this service will only be available when your aircraft is flying above 10,000 feet.

Access & Pricing Details

While we have not yet firmed up our prices just yet, you can expect that our pricing will be competitive with other in-flight Wi-Fi connectivity offerings. Additionally, we're pleased to confirm that for flights through June 30, 2014, customers flying on aircraft already equipped with in-flight Wi-Fi will be able to access the service for free, courtesy of American Express.

We'll keep you posted here with more developments about this significant product investment. In the meantime, you can find more details and the latest news about Air Canada Wi-Fi at aircanada.com/wi-fi.
Asked and answered.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Gogie
Asked and answered.
But you didn't answer how to reinvest (a portion of) this ancillary revenue into a better loyalty program
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SEMM
Except for those business travellers who can't use ''I'm Flying'' as an excuse to disconnect from the office/boss.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by kwflyer
But you didn't answer how to reinvest (a portion of) this ancillary revenue into a better loyalty program
I'm the wrong person to ask about improving the loyalty program. They lost my loyalty a year or two ago and I can't imagine them spending money on trying to win it back. I'll fly whatever airline provides the best value (generally lowest cost, but comfort is a definite factor). I will NEVER fly Rouge (hence the reason I'm flying WS to LAS in June).
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Cool

Yes but probably not for E50k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.