Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Upset allegedly bumped customer takes AC to small claims court

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upset allegedly bumped customer takes AC to small claims court

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:22 pm

I sued AC in Small Claims Court and I was not banned. Flew with them again from London to Halifax.

They never found my suitcase on a Geneva to New York trip via YUL.

After 2 months they offered me $1,100 in compensation though the max is $1,600.

Thanks to Small Claims Court I got my $1,600.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by atsak
In Ontario the one time I had to do it 4 or 5 years ago the fee was $75. There was something in the literature I read which suggested you could not recover this fee as part of your suit, but I may be incorrect or may have misread that.

Regardless of the outcome here, I think it can only prove useful to use the courts when the conduct of Air Canada is unreasonable and its even marginally appropriate to do so. Look at it this way - if these nuisance lawsuits start costing more money than setting up reasonable policies and compensation, then more reasonable policies and compensation will follow. It's always about the bottom line in the airline business these days.

But it irritates me to need to become what feels more American in the way these disputes are being resolved.
Who drafts the compensation rules. If its Air Canada creating its own liability, we may see changes to the policy in which they've gone to court over and lost.

Hopefully, the compensation set out is independent to Air Canada's whims.

One should be able to recover costs in a suit. Court rules should change.

In Alberta where I live, the filing fee for small claims are as follows..
◾Claims up to $7,500 have a $100 filing fee.
◾Claims over $7,500 and up to $25,000 have a $200 filing fee.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
I don't really understand why the customer is going to small claims court, as AC finally gave him what he want.
Generally you send a letter of formal notice and if you get what you asked for there is nothing to claim at the court...
I have to agree with this. If they offered him a settlement and he decided to pursue litigation: (1) is he going to ask for more than he was offered and (2) if not, is he going to be willing to pay AC's attorney fees? At this point, this is a frivolous lawsuit.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: AY Plat, AA ExP, NH Gold, AMEX PLAT
Very interesting. I thought with many civil cases up to $5,000, that if you "won" the verdict, the next problem would be trying to get paid.
Due to jurisdiction having AC in PQ, you would have to have a lawyer file and homologate your case. Was this your experience?

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I sued AC in Small Claims Court and I was not banned. Flew with them again from London to Halifax.

Last edited by altitude75k; Mar 24, 2014 at 6:56 am Reason: and
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bretteee

This is interesting. How did AC determine that they would offer your $1,100? how did they value your belongings at $1,100 instead of $1,600 (or $500 or whatever)?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fpc552
I have to agree with this. If they offered him a settlement and he decided to pursue litigation: (1) is he going to ask for more than he was offered and (2) if not, is he going to be willing to pay AC's attorney fees? At this point, this is a frivolous lawsuit.
Mind reading the article again?

AC deny he was bumped. They did not offer anything.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by altitude75k
Very interesting. I thought with many civil cases up to $5,000, that if you "won" the verdict, the next problem would be trying to get paid.
Due to jurisdiction having AC in PQ, you would have to have a lawyer file and homologate your case. Was this your experience?
A multinational company like Air Canada after a verdict is rendered by a judge.. will pay.

Now if it was Joe Scmoe's private airline, whose runway was in his back yard, the claimant is more likely going to have to send the judgement to collections.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
If you don't get paid within a reasonable amount of time you can file for a seizure of assets or bank accounts to get your money. It's another $75 or something I think in Ontario. I didn't have to do that in the case I filed - as soon as I filed and served the respondent with the suit he wrote me a cheque.

I would file a seizure for sale of a plane they own (if there's any left that aren't leased). They could have the rest of the money after I sold it (just kidding I'm sure there must be some kind of reasonable limitation on it).

Last edited by atsak; Mar 24, 2014 at 1:10 pm
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would file a seizure for sale of a plane they own (if there's any left that aren't leased). They could have the rest of the money after I sold it (just kidding I'm sure there must be some kind of reasonable limitation on it).
Don't laugh. These things have happened. Near-bankrupt airlines not paying for fuel. Plane seized at some remote location.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
Don't laugh. These things have happened. Near-bankrupt airlines not paying for fuel. Plane seized at some remote location.
For a bill that's 100,000, or a million, sure. Flyzoom had this happen IIRC. For a couple thousand etc I'm not so sure. Maybe there is no restriction; I guess if a contractor can lien your $500000 house with no proof in Ontario for a $2500 bill, why not a multi million dollar airplane.

Again, that's disappointing though. There should be some kind of common sense applied.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
Or you could forclose on one of their offices, like one guy did with BoA:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/bank-...ry?id=13775638
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by greggarious
Or you could forclose on one of their offices, like one guy did with BoA:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/bank-...ry?id=13775638
The customer got a judgment to seize assets because of unpaid legal fees. It doesn't appear that the customer was foreclosing on the bank.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by kwflyer
Just wondering...if you take AC to court do you think they ban you from flying them ever again?
My stepfather filed (and won) a lawsuit against the airline and still flies AC regularly, so the answer is no.

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyand...4-b347396a6f6f

http://www.nationalreviewofmedicine....tice02_16.html

http://www.canadianmedicinenews.com/...emergency.html

Last edited by OliverB; Mar 29, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: AY Plat, AA ExP, NH Gold, AMEX PLAT
Sadly atsak, if the person who lost in small claims court is living in PQ and the plaintiff lives in another province, there is nothing that can be done and no assets can be seized unless that person lives in the province that the case was settled. It becomes a useless victory. And the scammer can remain in PQ with not even a slap on the wrist.

If you don't get paid within a reasonable amount of time you can file for a seizure of assets or bank accounts to get your money. It's another $75 or something I think in Ontario. I didn't have to do that in the case I filed - as soon as I filed and served the respondent with the suit he wrote me a cheque.

Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Sadly atsak, if the person who lost in small claims court is living in PQ and the plaintiff lives in another province, there is nothing that can be done and no assets can be seized unless that person lives in the province that the case was settled. It becomes a useless victory. And the scammer can remain in PQ with not even a slap on the wrist.
Sadly, your surprising ill will towards some of your fellow citizens leads you to make silly statements.

Sections 785 and 786 of Quebec's Code of Civil Procedure provide for recognition and enforcement of the judgments of other Courts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.