Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I think this is fair game, as we were all telling @ORD in the NEXUS thread, you have to have the passport. However, I use GE to enter USA and NEXUS to enter Canada, as contemplated by the system, and in the event they want the passport shown, all they have to do is ask. They're just going to have to chase me because I won't hear them shouting at my back. (If you see the mature lady lying face down spreadeagled on the terrazzo some day, CBP or CBSA officer's foot on the back, say hello.)
LOL, and yes i do the same, GE into the US from anywhere, nexus into Can. This person had a child who eyes wouldn't scan so had to go to the special asst officer, who was quite nasty.

BTW, Nexus into the US will soon be gone (if not all ready), and coming into Can there are apparently new nexus machines on the way, but i'm not sure if a new enrollment will be required or not
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I do not have Nexus or GE. I protect mine & my companies privacy. I refuse to give any organisation or government any personal or my companies information voluntarily.
With new Kiosk @ US border clearance in Canada now & Kiosk for Canadian resident in all major airports in Canada I am in & out of Canada just as fast if I had Nexus.
I am only going by the info YYBGrinder posted up thread in his post.
I've pretty much given up on using NEXUS for AC. It works everywhere, most of the time, and it's technically allowed, but that one time they ask for your passport while boarding, and you have to pull it out of your bag, completely negates any savings I get from using NEXUS.

Regardless, both OLCI and the kiosks explicitly say they support NEXUS, and most check-in agents allow it.

Originally Posted by bizorbetter
i have had nexus refused at the gate, which is wrong. Also, if you OLCI for a us-can flight they want you to show your ID at the gate.....you show the one you OLCI with, either PP or Nexus.

I also know someone who entered the us with Nexus at YYZ and was sent to secondary when returning HOME to Canada trying to use Nexus. The agent demanded a PP (which technically is the rule, but a pointless one as Nexus is far more secure/informative than a PP)
My "bad" experiences with NEXUS:
1. TSA didn't like the card, and asked if I had a driver's license instead.
2. AC check-in (YYZ) didn't think I could use it for check-in, and spent 5 minutes on the phone and looking things up before entering the information.
3. (Same flight as 2) AC gate agent (YYZ) said it was unacceptable, and I needed my passport. Luckily, a more senior GA said it was acceptable for boarding .

But as I said, this is why I don't even bother trying to use it any more. It's not worth the hassle.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:50 pm

I do not have Nexus or GE. I protect mine & my companies privacy. I refuse to give any organisation or government any personal or my companies information voluntarily.
you would be surprised (or maybe not ) how much info each government has on you. The only thing you are giving them is bio-metric info, finger print or iris minutia.

You mentioned you will get a KTN....i could be wrong but you will have to give them the bio info at that point?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:04 pm

You mentioned you will get a KTN....i could be wrong but you will have to give them the bio info at that point?
That was my understanding. Maybe not the iris, but definitely the fingerprints.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That was my understanding. Maybe not the iris, but definitely the fingerprints.
I am happy to give my fingerprints.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
If you have NEXUS or GE, your KTN# is your PASS ID (9 digit on the top left on the back of your NEXUS/GE card). Supposedly you put in that # in your itinerary profile and it should register you for Pre-check. However, Pre-check is not automatic and guaranteed even if you enter that in your flight itinerary and FF profile. There've been instances where I entered my NEXUS PASS ID to the KTN# and still didn't get Pre-check. A bit annoying but not much I could do.

If you have NEXUS or GE, your Passport info should've already been included in that membership. So entering your passport # should trigger your NEXUS/GE membership and should technically get you through Pre-check, but I haven't done that for AC flights myself.

I've been a member of NEXUS since its first inception back in mid 2000s and have done tons of US domestic and transborder travels. This has been my experience, but it's certainly my first time hearing the experience that yyzprincess described.

GT
I will add that your name must be exactly as it is in the KTN system. If the airline doesn't have your middle name for example the pre lane will never give you three beeps and you wont know why.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:39 pm

I will add that your name must be exactly as it is in the KTN system. If the airline doesn't have your middle name for example the pre lane will never give you three beeps and you wont know why.
My name both with United is exactly the same as with Air Canada and exactly as in my passport. Even my tittle is same with both UA & AC.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
My name both with United is exactly the same as with Air Canada and exactly as in my passport. Even my tittle is same with both UA & AC.
I cant see the option to enter HRH as a title on AC or UA
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC100K, Delta Plat, Nat EX EL, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NEXUS
My experiences with having them remove my Nexus information from my check in file have been from MSY. From that point on, after they did it twice in a row I've just started using my passport to check in. It was my understanding as well that Nexus is allowed for check in with AC it just hasn't been what I've experienced so I'd abandoned trying.

As for TSA refusing it, don't get me started. I've had them be real ignorant about requesting my passport when I tried to present my Nexus or my Ontario DL. It's a PITA when I have to go digging to get at it, when it's an intra-us flight and I have no need to have it handy.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by YYBGrinder
My experiences with having them remove my Nexus information from my check in file have been from MSY. From that point on, after they did it twice in a row I've just started using my passport to check in. It was my understanding as well that Nexus is allowed for check in with AC it just hasn't been what I've experienced so I'd abandoned trying.

As for TSA refusing it, don't get me started. I've had them be real ignorant about requesting my passport when I tried to present my Nexus or my Ontario DL. It's a PITA when I have to go digging to get at it, when it's an intra-us flight and I have no need to have it handy.
They refused a driver's license. Sigh. I think I always have my passport with me when I fly, but I've never had a problem with an Ontario DL going through security.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Right. Hopefully they equate middle name with middle initials. My passport and US drivers license have my middle initials but my NEXUS and my green card have my full middle names.

Agree with other posters. AC allows your to OLCI with your NEXUS (I've always OLCI so don't know about in-person check-in with TA) and board with your NEXUS card.

I've always carried BOTH my passport (and green card) and my NEXUS card when I travel, in case you get secondarily screened or asked by a not-so-knowledgeable TSA agent/GA. I have NEXUS in my wallet and passport in my jacket pocket. Doesn't really take that much time to retrieve. Last thing you want is to get held up and miss your flight b/c someone gov't agent didn't know the latest rules and hold you up for it. You can argue, but gov't officials/officers (almost) always win so no point in arguing and making them give you a hard time.

Maybe I'll go to the Pre-check lane even without Pre-check on my BP for UA flights and on all transborder AC flights next time and see. I always enter my PASS ID and all my travel info are up to date on my GOES account.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They refused a driver's license. Sigh. I think I always have my passport with me when I fly, but I've never had a problem with an Ontario DL going through security.
Have the fun is having them refuse Ontario DL and/or Nexus card, and having them call over a supervisor, only to look like idiots.

I do not want the TSA rentasmurfs to touch my passport.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by YYBGrinder
I am not a fan of TSA.
The issue maybe your DL is not issued by American government.
For Non-USA issued government documents TSA I assume is required to only accept passports.
According to rankourabu get a supervisor & make the TSA agent look like an idiot.

I have a trip to USA next week. I will present my Ontario DL. If Agent refuses. Ask for supervisor per rankourabu.
I will report back if Supervisor will override the non acceptance.

I would be interested to know if CATSA accepts American DL .Anyone?

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Have the fun is having them refuse Ontario DL and/or Nexus card, and having them call over a supervisor, only to look like idiots.
I do not want the TSA rentasmurfs to touch my passport.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jan 26, 2014 at 4:14 pm
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:13 pm

I am not a fan of TSA.
For Non-USA issued government documents TSA I assume is required to only accept passports.
I would be interested to know if CATSA accepts American DL .
Canadian DLs are explicitly allowed as TSA ID
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:16 pm

I am not a fan of TSA.
I would be interested to know if CATSA accepts American DL .
Non issue since CATSA doesn't check ID on Canadian domestic flights. ID gets checked by GA's upon boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.