Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA flights to AP - Rate change

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Sure. I have a global E+ subscription plus companion. It cost $699 ($899 if you want to add a companion) and it's valid for 1 year.

If you do a couple of transpacific it will pay for itself.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
you can get an E+ subscription? I wish I knew about that before this deval!
You can also ask in the United Club or at the gate. It's fairly likely they'll give it to you for free.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*

ya that usually works but lately, at least in IAH they told me blah blah blah audit I can't give it to you. this was earlier this month. before that I had good luck at the gate/UC. maybe its just ex CO stations getting heat.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You can also ask in the United Club or at the gate. It's fairly likely they'll give it to you for free.
But then you're likely to get an E+ middle seat. No thanks
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Never worked for me (tried at IAH, IAD, ORD, EWR...)
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*

I just ask for a better seat, or a seat near the front. Or at the gate once the upgrades clear and they don't have enough seats... "you may as well give me 12C since at least I'm *G." I've even gotten 3 seats moved to E+ on international long haul. However that's a big reason I don't like united. E+ isn't a sure thing and I hate being way back.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
But then you're likely to get an E+ middle seat. No thanks
Sometimes. Depends on the day I guess.

My success rate is high enough and my flights are short enough that I can't justify spending the money. If you can, then I'm envious of your ability to select the seats at booking

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Never worked for me (tried at IAH, IAD, ORD, EWR...)
It's highly dependent on the agent. I've had agents say (in order of frequency)
"Sure!"
"I'll have to charge you."
"I can't, but the gate agent can."
"No I can't do it."

Upon saying "I'm Star Gold", the negative responses have been:
"Oh okay here you go."
"Hmmm it still says I have to charge you." (which sometimes gets it for me, sometimes doesn't)
"It's only a benefit for United Premier members."

If I were flying internationally, I'd probably pay. But for a 5-6 hour flight (and those are longer than typical for me), I'm fine with my E- aisle seat if I can't get free E+. A lot of flights seem to be full, and I find that the agents would rather put a *G in E+ than a random VBIT. Treat them well and they won't notice. Treat me well, and I'll direct my money to you.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
My success rate at this as an an E50 *G is around 35-40%. Slightly higher in the club.

Most of the time they're pretty clear that there's a charge.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Have you actually had success with this on a longhaul United flight?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold
The day's of comp E+ seating are long over for Golds. I've been paying for the last 2-3 years. My UA flights are 4 plus hours, usually from SMF to IAD or DCA. I'm fortunate enough that my company pays for E+ for flights over 3 hours. By the responses here, it looks like on occassion, one may be moved perhaps to a middle plus seat, but this is not the norm so don't expect it.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:51 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: HH, SPG, BA Exec.
MileagePlus' s taking the same route as Aeroplan, KrisFlyer and other greedy Star Alliance programs. I'll stick to One World. And yes they should've banned Aeroplan a long time ago.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I've never flown United across an ocean.

But that's a situation where I'd either pay in advance, if seats were filling up, or I'd pay at the airport if they were unwilling to give it to me for free.

Or more likely I'd book AC and eUp

I still think some recognize that if a flight's going to go out full, it's better for them to give it to a *G for free than a general member.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Wow, as luck would have it, I am flying YYZ EWR today, and looked up to see the fare class, as the return is on AC metal under an S class booking. I saw the table posted by the OP, and was completely taken aback thinking I had missed this. With US leaving *A, this is a huge deal. While I can request Flex from our corporate travel, checking United fare classes will be a huge problem. This is now going the way of LH in Europe, which is brutal.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I was waitlisted (yes they have such a thing apparently) for E+ for my TLV-EWR flight and it cleared at the gate no problem. Just asked at check in.

9/10 I've been able to move from E- to E+ (window/aisle) on all my (short/long) UA flights at the airport.

It is entirely possible to get E+ you just need to ask in a friendly, ambiguous manner. And play HUCA if they tell you no.

And when you get a friendly agent, you'll want to do this
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by kwflyer
I was waitlisted (yes they have such a thing apparently) for E+ for my TLV-EWR flight and it cleared at the gate no problem. Just asked at check in.
That is odd, since there is no "waitlist" for E+ unless they manually remembered who you are and/or wrote it down. Chances are at an outstation, the same staff operated checkin as they did the gate - so they remembered you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.