Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Market Fares

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by erasmus99
Not at Christmas!
When I know my flight schedule months in advance, it is quite easy to plan for a holiday around discounted fares (it also helps that I am not attached, though and have no children under my custody.)
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by capebretonboy
They do that with Air Miles reward flights? Really?
I think you used to be able to credit air miles ac flights to partner *a ffp? i don't recall and i could be off... i wonder if you could do that here
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:11 am

Scamcharge varies on classic/market award.

Hi Everyone, A couple observations...

1) YHZ-YYT return is going for $220 ai on aircanada.com.
YHZ-YYT return on aeroplan for same flights is 15,000 miles and $165 in scam charges.
So this means I'm saving $50.00 but dishing out 15,000 putting the value on 15,000 at only $50 in this example.

I then clicked on "Market awards"
For the same flights as above it's now 20,000 aeroplan but the charges are only $67 now. A big difference from the Classic award. This values 20,000 at now $157.00

According to ae.com if you get distinction recognition the market fare can be 35% cheaper, so if this is the case why would you want Classic? wouldn't you always want to pick Market awards?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
I noticed the difference too. It it a good thing for frenquent travelers who have status.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AC 75K
IIRC this was also the case for Classic Plus.

Someone a long time back posted a reason for this, but it will be difficult to find.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Market fare is well not so market fare after all.

It seems there is a floor for "market fare" prices, so they will no longer ever be lower than classic rewards.

I looked up a YTZ-YUL ticket with different pricing on that date according to the flight selected, yet every single ticket was 10,000 at Market Fare.

I also decided to trial out booking a one way intra Asia award to use their new flexble policy of 50% one way award rates, guess what, they are still blocked! I don't remember ever seeing any footnotes on the posters advertising 50% one way awards.

Nothing AP does is ever consumer friendly nor transparent.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by markandrew
I also decided to trial out booking a one way intra Asia award to use their new flexble policy of 50% one way award rates, guess what, they are still blocked! I don't remember ever seeing any footnotes on the posters advertising 50% one way awards.

I thought it was reasonably well advertised that one-ways must have one end in North America.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX

It seems there is a floor for "market fare" prices, so they will no longer ever be lower than classic rewards.
YQB-YUL-LHR, random dates in March

Classic reward: 60,000 miles+$713,45
Market reward: 55,000 miles+$683,45

Of course, you should be booking UA at 60,000 miles+$300,15
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I thought it was reasonably well advertised that one-ways must have one end in North America.
I would be surprised if this is advertised anywhere. It may be buried in the T&Cs some place.

I always knew in the past that non-NA itineraries were unavailable for oneway, and knowing AP I suspected this would still be the case, but all the advertising of 50% oneway awards did get me hoping that they had aligned themselves with most other programmes that sensibly allow OW at 50% for any itinerary.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Twickenham
YQB-YUL-LHR, random dates in March

Classic reward: 60,000 miles+$713,45
Market reward: 55,000 miles+$683,45

Of course, you should be booking UA at 60,000 miles+$300,15
With fares at $900, I would be buying revenue!

Maybe the floor price for MF is only domestic/NA. There certainly does not seem to be any consistency of value of the miles under MF which I thought was its whole raison d'ętre in its now incarnation.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
With fares at $900, I would be buying revenue!

Maybe the floor price for MF is only domestic/NA. There certainly does not seem to be any consistency of value of the miles under MF which I thought was its whole raison d'ętre in its now incarnation.
I was surprised too, but then i checked aeroplan award charts (https://www3.aeroplan.com/FlightRewardChart.do). They very clearly say award chart is ex/to na ONLY.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K

I looked up a YTZ-YUL ticket with different pricing on that date according to the flight selected, yet every single ticket was 10,000 at Market Fare.

Exactly, you can't call something 'Market' fare if there is no difference in miles even though the cash price is different.

I made the point earlier in the thread, it seems (on domestic flights at least) that AP has decided on a minimum amount of miles for a given ticket and regardless of whether someone has full dDiamond discount and there is a seat sale going on, the ticket will not go for less miles.
So again they ruined what could have been a compelling reason for someone to want Distinction status.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shawneve
Exactly, you can't call something 'Market' fare if there is no difference in miles even though the cash price is different.

I made the point earlier in the thread, it seems (on domestic flights at least) that AP has decided on a minimum amount of miles for a given ticket and regardless of whether someone has full dDiamond discount and there is a seat sale going on, the ticket will not go for less miles.
So again they ruined what could have been a compelling reason for someone to want Distinction status.
hey, it's just like "fuel" surcharges. or is it called carrier administrated surcharged now by ap? i don't remember. lol
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
I can definitely say that based on my research that Market Fare rewards are not based on the price of the ticket.
I did some sample bookings for San Diego and Cancun from YYZ.
On AC the price was approx. $700 for San Diego, and $600 for Cancun.
Market price offered was 37000 for SD and 47500 for Cancun.
Now these tickets have different ClassicRewards prices of 25000 and 40000, so I understand that the 'starting point' is different, but if the Market Fare rewards were truly market price based, it would not cost more miles for a ticket that costs less to buy - period.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
I have not been following this thread for a while, but can someone confirm whether or not market fare rewards are booked into something other than X, allow for you to enter your AE number and thus earn AQM/AQS? Curious to hear from anyone who has flown a AE market fare itinerary and got credited for it. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.