Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
They are? I think the C Series will be stretched first.
They already stretched the CRJ to 104 seats. Thankfully I have never been on one. Stretching the C series makes a lot of sense.

Photo from Wikipedia.....
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by maradori
......But take a look at AS's 737-900s -- they fit it with the new Boring Sky Interior design (so no ugly 1950-era overhead panels like what UAdbaCO has on their 737s). Plus AS 739s use the new Boring Space Bin design for the overhead -- and those can fit moar rollaboards than conventional design

It would be a huge win on the customer experience if AC did the same

But I doubt AC will spend that extra money ... I mean if all they can afford for food is pickles in the MLL ....

I've already agreed with you on the AS 739 experiences I had on flights a few months back, including the ANC-LAX red-eye.

I really liked the new cabin. At least the seats AS chose were extremely comfortable and I was in Y. I noticed everyone put almost everything up in the bins as there was plenty of space.

I've also flew a number of 738s on AA. The new ones were great flying experiences.

But to maradori's point, it's really a matter of what AC decides to spend or not spend on the interior that will determine the passenger experience.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by karachi
...(who BTW are completely B737 and 777- free .. surprising for a major airline)...
Not surprising since Germany was a major backer of Airbus Industries and LH an instrument in ensuring a launch airline for most of its offerings. The country is also the location of several major sub-component plants, the major aircraft finishing centre for Airbus, and a host of suppliers. That's why LH phased out its 737s and is doing the same with 744s, though did take the 748 soon to be its only Boeing aircraft.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by flybit
DC 10 was awesome, however tainted because Canadian was a great airline.
Not sure that's the word you wanted to use. (If the DC10 was "tainted" it would have been from the news coverage of a crash of a UA variant outside ORD. ) Perhaps "enhanced" is the word to describe the value added by CP's inflight service on that aircraft.

CP was indeed a "great airline" and provided a very classy service on their DC10s both with First Class and Royal Canadian Class. Flew both many, many times to Australia and New Zealand during the 1980s. AC also provided a fine First Class service on its L1011s before it downgraded the front cabin to Executive Class.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But take a look at AS's 737-900s -- they fit it with the new Boring Sky Interior design (so no ugly 1950-era overhead panels like what UAdbaCO has on their 737s). Plus AS 739s use the new Boring Space Bin design for the overhead -- and those can fit moar rollaboards than conventional design

It would be a huge win on the customer experience if AC did the same

But I doubt AC will spend that extra money ... I mean if all they can afford for food is pickles in the MLL ....
I believe all new Boeing 738/9 series and the future Max will feature this cabin finish. At least the new ones on AA I've flown do.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by 24left
Last flight was Oct 29. Yup, LH flew them for 50 years.
LH was the launch customer of the 737-100 no less. Maybe in 50 years we will be talking about LX retiring its last of an equally ubiquitous C-Series. Maybe.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
But take a look at AS's 737-900s -- they fit it with the new Boring Sky Interior design (so no ugly 1950-era overhead panels like what UAdbaCO has on their 737s). Plus AS 739s use the new Boring Space Bin design for the overhead -- and those can fit moar rollaboards than conventional design
I guess this is the time that I admit I "MAY" becoming a UA apologist like so many are AC apologists.

There are quite a few UA B737s with the "BORING" Sky Interior. Not all of them are ugly 1950s era overheads.... Perhaps we should have official fact checkers like during the US election.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I guess this is the time that I admit I "MAY" becoming a UA apologist like so many are AC apologists.

There are quite a few UA B737s with the "BORING" Sky Interior. Not all of them are ugly 1950s era overheads.... Perhaps we should have official fact checkers like during the US election.
Perhaps I should start being more mindful to specify all? some? many? of my statements with an all? some? many? qualifier ....

Although I don't have any official info which Eewnited 737s have and do not have boring sky interiors, the closest thing I found is https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking

When clicking on the "39" tab, I concur with your statement that "not all of them" are ugly 1950s era overheads. However, the spreadsheet also shows that quite a few of them 1. have only sky interiors without space bins, 2. have neither. The numbers are even more abysmal when you click the "38" and "3G" tab and only a handful or two of them (assuming you have some REALLY big hands) have the sky interior

All that being said, my original point still remains. For non-6ft4 flyers like myself, whether the airframe is A32x or is B73x doesn't matter as much as the inside of the aircraft.

I kind of like the new A321 interiors (when flying SFO-PHL on US A321, it was always a coin toss whether you got an old or new interior), but man, those Boring Space Bins are a total game changer for us who fly in the back

Hopefully AC gets space bins .....
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Shareholder
That's why LH phased out its 737s and is doing the same with 744s, though did take the 748 soon to be its only Boeing aircraft.
OT for this thread, but LH has actually ordered 34 777-9X
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
Last flight was Oct 29. Yup, LH flew them for 50 years.
Flew 737s for fifty years. But not the same ones.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
I'm with adam.smith on this. How much does it really matter that AC chose a 737 over an A32x? As a passenger, perhaps the only difference I notice that is intrinsic to the aircrafts are

1. A32x has that "buzz"ing background noise whereas I don't hear it on the 737
The fanblade generated sonic booms are related to the engine (CFM56-5Bx) in ACs case and not the airframe. There are plenty of IAE V2500 powered A32x's flying out there that do not have the same sound - just as there are larger Boeing aircraft that have engines that do make that sound.

Personally I like the sound, it's really easy to tell (by the sound pitch) that the engines are working properly and at the appropriate power setting. ^

2. A32x has that APU dog-bark sound
That's not the APU, it is the BIT (built-in-test) of the PTU (power transfer unit) for the hydraulic system, the sound can also be heard when one engine is powered up, but not the other engine.

3. IMO, 737 sounds like it works the engines harder during the takeoff roll
Which 737 model(s) are you comparing? That's not as simple a statement to make as it seems, what is the thrust rating of the aircraft you're comparing to AC? In general (I hate generalizing in aviation) the CFM56-7Bx engines will sound like they're working harder because they are. The smaller fan diameter of the CFM56-7Bx will require a little more power to produce the same thrust level of an equivalently rated CFM56-5Bx.

When you are 6ft 4, you notice the larger cabin on the A320. Most airlines are buying the A320 over 737. Boeing is only getting sales if they greatly discount the aircraft.
Absolutely agree!! I find the A320 cabin more comfortable than the 737 cabin - although the AC 737 Max cabin configuration hasn't been disclosed yet, so I can't really comment on how it will feel compared to the current Airbus narrow-body configuration.

They are? I think the C Series will be stretched first.
Anyone who has had a close-up view of its wing knows there are some stretches built-in to it.

Originally Posted by Fiordland
They already stretched the CRJ to 104 seats. Thankfully I have never been on one. Stretching the C series makes a lot of sense.
It's amazing that a 19 passenger business jet was stretchered to a 100+ regional aircraft.

I have flown in a CRJ1000 a couple of times, back of the plane is fun to watch the flex of the airframe during turbulence. ^

Last edited by jaysona; Feb 14, 2017 at 5:48 pm Reason: clarrify statement.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaysona

It's amazing that a 19 passenger business jet was stretchered to a 100+ regional aircraft.
Don't you to some extent have to thank Mavriplis for that? I heard stories of supercritical wings and big cigars...

I have flown in a CRJ1000 a couple of times, back of the plane is fun to watch the flex of the airframe during turbulence. ^

Memories of the 707-320, again...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Will AC not include setback screens on the 737MAX?

AA recently announced that their 737MAX fleet would not have built-in IFE, instead improving in-flight wifi so pax can watch content on their own devices. Does anyone know if AC will do the same, especially given that they do this on Rouge?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Will AC not include setback screens on the 737MAX?
Find out this thursday on the next ep of Dragon Ball Z in YVR, YUL or YYZ for the "Futurrrrr of AC event"

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Feb 7, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC SE
That is a pretty misleading title, considering OP is simply speculating/asking whether or not there will actually be seatback screens of the 737MAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.