Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
calpaugh,

thanks for the follow up.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:58 am

I just noticed that the frequency of AC7/8 YVR-HKG-YVR will be reduced to 5 flights a week in November, 2014.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I just noticed that the frequency of AC7/8 YVR-HKG-YVR will be reduced to 5 flights a week in November, 2014.
Yes, seasonal reductions - we do this most years in November on this market.
Capacity is still up in the market around +12% as last year a mix of 77W/77P were deployed.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:41 pm

Has anyone sat in row 1? Is there any extra space to be had there? Right now I'm booked in 1H and 1K. I'm traveling with a friend, so I'm not too concerned about direct aisle access. I figure these seats get a bit more noise from the lavs and galley, but if there is some extra space it might be an acceptable tradeoff.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by ac-YUL
Yes, seasonal reductions - we do this most years in November on this market.
Capacity is still up in the market around +12% as last year a mix of 77W/77P were deployed.
Why is CX can do 2X daily (14X weekly) but AC needs to reduce to 5x weekly? Something is wrong with AC here.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Spot planes
Why is CX can do 2X daily (14X weekly) but AC needs to reduce to 5x weekly? Something is wrong with AC here.
Why is the automatic assumption that AC is doing something wrong? There are different pax profiles at play. I suspect AC carries mostly local/O+D pax where CX carries local + transit pax, so they are less reliant on HKG seasonalities.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Spot planes
77W to 77P is a +31% jump in capacity. November is a lower demand month. AC is reducing capacity to better match demand, and is still showing growth of +12% vs last year.

In addition, remember that CX has a large hub in HKG where they can feed traffic all over Southeast Asia and beyond. Traffic to Canada declines significantly in November, so it is harder for AC to use its network beyond YVR to attract traffic in a period of low demand.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:59 am

VS pulls the plug on LHRYVR (for a 2nd time!)

Vancouver-London : AC deploys the 777HD, BA gives up trying to sell F, and VS pulls out as fast a possible .... Worth considering when reading how wrong AC is to deploy HD to HKG/LHR, Rouge etc in such a high yielding market.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
77W to 77P is a +31% jump in capacity. November is a lower demand month. AC is reducing capacity to better match demand, and is still showing growth of +12% vs last year.

In addition, remember that CX has a large hub in HKG where they can feed traffic all over Southeast Asia and beyond. Traffic to Canada declines significantly in November, so it is harder for AC to use its network beyond YVR to attract traffic in a period of low demand.
if the jump is in capacity, and thats a 777HD, that is just a jump in passenger complaints, and suffering.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM

And AC doesnt feed pax thru YVR to the USA? Seriously?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by bocastephen
BA removed F (which it only sells successfully in very specific market pairs anyway), but added more J seats - which indicates strength in the business side of the market.
As far as I can tell this is the only real problem with the AC "HD" configuration. People have shown they are very willing to pay for economy and premium economy in this setup. I have yet to hear a good story about business class though. Business class on AC HD configuration should be discounted at least 20-30% compared to AC business on 77W/77L/787 and the competition. Then the purchaser would know what they're in for and adjust expectations accordingly. Even re-brand the HD configuration as Rouge perhaps.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:55 pm

Going to fly on this next year with the wife in J (connecting onto YUL then LX), we would probably like to sit together, any comments on 3H/3K?

Not a throne seat so more legroom hopefully?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Why is the automatic assumption that AC is doing something wrong? There are different pax profiles at play. I suspect AC carries mostly local/O+D pax where CX carries local + transit pax, so they are less reliant on HKG seasonalities.
???
AC has interline agreements with CX/KA as well as TG to BKK, VN to SGN, SQ to SIN, MH to KUL/other destinations, CZ to CAN.
Trust me, I have seen many people enter the transit queue when I did fly AC TPAC (admittedly before 77P and before tango fares as well.)
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
CX hard product is better in every class of service and soft product tends to be better too. On the other hand it also tends to be more expensive than AC but a lot of HK residents are pretty loyal to CX.

I switched this year and have no regrets.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: AC E50K
2 round trips YVR-HKG in AC B77P high desnity is more than enough. My next trip is on CA (heaven forbid) via PEK. Trying their new hard product of lay flat in A332.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.