Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
As of Feb 1st, I flew what will probably be my last flight in the J cabin of a 777HD. I blew all of my remaining 2015 eupgrade credits to upgrade from PE to J for a YVR-LHR segment. (I took a 4 month break from travel last fall so I did not make SE100K for 2016. As of the end of February, I'll be E50, so no more international upgrades.)

My last impression of the 777HD J cabin was no different than the first. I consider the 777HD aircraft to be a symbolic middle upraised finger from AC to its customers, and in particular, its YVR based customers, who get stuck with this <EXPLETIVES DELETED> aircraft for so many routes. The only tolerable seats in this aircraft are the PE cabin. Fortunately, at least for now, the company I work for will pay for PE, so hopefully I'll be able to stick to my vow to never fly in the Y cabin.

It's fitting for me to press the submit button for this post using my index finger. FU AC.
In the next 2-3 months AC will have replaced all the 777HD seats with 787 pods so that would also have spelled an end to it had you remained SE.

If you think AC is giving a middle finger to its customers knowing the above, it'll be interesting to hear what you think of Swiss beginning to take delivery of a brand new fleet of 77Ws with AC's old HD-style J seat.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
In the next 2-3 months AC will have replaced all the 777HD seats with 787 pods so that would also have spelled an end to it had you remained SE.

If you think AC is giving a middle finger to its customers knowing the above, it'll be interesting to hear what you think of Swiss beginning to take delivery of a brand new fleet of 77Ws with AC's old HD-style J seat.
As someone who flew Y in HD once, i def feel "up yours" is what AC said.
But, now that they are selling round trip TPAC as low as 750, i call it karma.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jack Jia
As someone who flew Y in HD once, i def feel "up yours" is what AC said.
But, now that they are selling round trip TPAC as low as 750, i call it karma.
Do you really think if AC was still 3-3-3 that the prices would be any different? AC managed to charge the same as its 2-4-2 330s and 3-3-3 777 competitors using 10-abreast 77Ws and 9-abreast 787s. The prices aren't low because of comfort concerns, everyone is selling cheap TPAC at the moment.

Since yield doesn't seem to be impacted by seat density, I don't see how AC is worse off having 3-4-3 777s. It just means they are better positioned than e.g. CX (who by the way is currently considering 3-4-3) once loads do come back up.

And complain as much as you want about HD Y YYZ-YVR, but it is still every bit as "spacious" as a WS 737 with the benefit of more bin space per capita and real IFE.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Do you really think if AC was still 3-3-3 that the prices would be any different? AC managed to charge the same as its 2-4-2 330s and 3-3-3 777 competitors using 10-abreast 77Ws and 9-abreast 787s. The prices aren't low because of comfort concerns, everyone is selling cheap TPAC at the moment.

Since yield doesn't seem to be impacted by seat density, I don't see how AC is worse off having 3-4-3 777s. It just means they are better positioned than e.g. CX (who by the way is currently considering 3-4-3) once loads do come back up.
Yet some how JAL went with 2 4 2 on its 787 and i think most of its long hauls 777 are still 3 3 3
If CX does switch, it would be a shame, since I would choose them over AC as long as price difference is less than 20%, sadly most people wont.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Feb 13, 2016 at 12:57 pm
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:56 pm

Yet some how JAL went with 2 4 2 on its 787 and i think most of its long hauls 777 are still 3 3 3
23 out of 370 delivered 787s are 2-4-2 with ANA retrofitting from 2-4-2 to 3-3-3. No way can it be argued more space was somehow a success.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:02 pm

23 out of 370 delivered 787s are 2-4-2 with ANA retrofitting from 2-4-2 to 3-3-3. No way can it be argued more space was somehow a success.
I am not saying its a success or not, sad that people are not willing to pay $10 more per hour for a humane experience.

BUT AA did leave 3-3-3 for those who do WISH to pay for more comfort. and no AC charging double for PE on TPAC is not exactly an option for most
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS

As an engineer, I'd be ashamed to design a product as bad in so many ways as these seats. As for why Swiss Air would select them, I guess there is always room at the bottom of the barrel. At least AC for whatever reasons chose to not only switch seats for future aircraft, but to replace them for the 777HD. Of course, that still leaves the Y class seats, which are pretty horrible, as well. The moron who decided to put the controls on the armrest deserves a rotten tomato.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

And complain as much as you want about HD Y YYZ-YVR, but it is still every bit as "spacious" as a WS 737 with the benefit of more bin space per capita and real IFE.
A 737 is by definition a relatively short-haul aircraft compared to a 777. I have a higher tolerance for a narrow seat for short haul than for long haul. And while seat width is relatively constrained for a narrow body such as a 737, the airlines are free to choose seat pitch. AC didn't have to put such a short seat pitch in their aircraft, they chose to. That's the upraised middle finger I was referring to.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

I am not saying its a success or not, sad that people are not willing to pay $10 more per hour for a humane experience.
Unless I missed something, AC never asked their customers if they wanted HD. They just went ahead and did it and irrespective of whatever complaints they received, they are doing it fleet-wide. Aside from introducing PE (which is okay, but not enough rows), there is no choice to pay more for reduced density. Often when I fly UA, I pay extra to sit in the PE cabin. If I wasn't flying AC PE, I would pay more for more legroom. AC obviously doesn't want to give its customers a similar choice.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:38 pm

The moron who decided to put the controls on the armrest deserves a rotten tomato.
^ At least they are supposedly fixed from the 789 and onwards.

Unless I missed something, AC never asked their customers if they wanted HD.
They didn't have to. They had 1.5 years of the first of 5 777HDs in service when they the plan came up internally to retrofit the rest of the fleet (originally optioned end of 2014). They took a look at the yields they were able to charge for the product and decided the extra amount, if any, people are willing to pay for 3-3-3 didn't outweigh the opportunity for 51 extra butts onboard.

Polling/asking people what people will pay for 3-3-3 vs 3-4-3 is dumb when AC had the YOY real-world numbers for both configurations before committing to switching the whole 777 fleet.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
If CX does switch, it would be a shame, since I would choose them over AC as long as price difference is less than 20%, sadly most people wont.

JAL 8 across seating is changing to 9 across. Also, JAL's J on the 787 is bad. I don't like the old AC 777HD J, but it is still better than JAL's J product on their 787.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
with AC seatpitch on the787 and the 777 now. It all Rouge in economy.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flybit
with AC seatpitch on the787 and the 777 now. It all Rouge in economy.
That is factually incorrect.

There are no rouge 787 or 777 aircraft.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Forget about $10 per hour, a lot of pax will not pay $3 or less per hour. I know people who will fly Westjet YVR to YZZ instead of AC because the ticket is $5 less and tell me AC is to expensive. I have even given them MLL passes and they don't care. The majority of pax just want cheap and the airlines are racing to the bottom to give it to them.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That is factually incorrect.

There are no rouge 787 or 777 aircraft.
He's not interested in facts. Keeps repeating that same nonsense over and over.

If one isn't clever enough to determine any difference between AC and Rouge Y products, look forward to everyone losing yet another inch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.