Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 5, 13, 2:01 pm   #1

Programs: AC SE100K
2014 Aeroplan limits and changes

Hi all,

I have a question about changes applied to award bookings made in 2013, but flying in 2014.

I'm looking at booking a streamlined Mini-RTW for next year, mostly in F, but was looking at booking FRA-YYZ in LH J for now, and looking to have that changed to LH F (same flight) if/when seats become available two weeks out.

I'm looking at booking this month, to avoid the new and improved rate card for Asia rewards.

I know in the past, if you booked an F reward, and later found F space on a J segment, it didn't count as a change to move on up. And I know that if you make a change in 2014 to a booked-in-2013 award, you get dinged for the difference between 2013 and 2014 redemption rates.

But is this true for this kind of "not an official change" change? If I find that LH F seat on the same flight and want to get in it, will they just change the segment over to F to match the other F segments, or will it count as a change, and therefore more miles?

Any insights would be appreciated.
HometoYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 13, 6:29 pm   #2

Programs: A3 Gold
I believe COS (Cabin of Service) change should still be free

It's only if you change the date/destination that you may get hit with the NEW mileage requirement? don't quote me on it though
Old Dec 5, 13, 7:01 pm   #3

As far as I've read, making date/route changes to a pre-2014 award in 2014 won't attract increased mileage.

It's only if you change the type of award (e.g. J to F) or (e.g. Asia 1 to Asia 2) that you'll get dinged with the new mileage. If you already have an F award - no change fee to move from J to F on the same flight, but taxes/scamcharges will be recalculated.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 13, 7:11 pm   #4

Will the new mileage levels apply if a change is requested on a booking made prior to the effective date of the new mileage levels?

2- On or after January 1, 2014:
o All change requests requiring a change of cabin and/or flight reward travel zone will be subject to the new increased mileage levels. For example, a change from Economy to Business class or a change from North America long-haul to Europe 1
o Simple changes such as change of flight time, flight date or routing will not affect the miles required to redeem for the flight
o In case of a mileage level decrease, changes will not be applied at the lower mileage levels

All changes are subject to change fees of $90 plus applicable taxes per person.

Depends how they interpret change of cabin requests.... by leg, or by entire trip.
crimsona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 13, 8:35 pm   #5

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
As far as I've read, making date/route changes to a pre-2014 award in 2014 won't attract increased mileage.

It's only if you change the type of award (e.g. J to F) or (e.g. Asia 1 to Asia 2) that you'll get dinged with the new mileage. If you already have an F award - no change fee to move from J to F on the same flight, but taxes/scamcharges will be recalculated.
This is great! I am trying to book a trip for next Christmas, so if that is true, I will book before Jan 1 and change to the date I want later.

Have you talked to AE to confirm this?