Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
*FAQ:
Q: On the 787-9 (789), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Rows 5 and 8 on both port and starboard sides have only one window, instead of two on all other port/starboard J seats.

Q: On the 787-8 (788), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Only row 5 port and starboard sides have zero windows.

Q: Does the middle J seats' middle divider come down?
A: No, on the 788 and 789 the middle divider does not come down and is fixed in place. In fact, all Dream Cabin (788, 789, 77L, 77W) middle dividers are fixed and do not come down.

Member pictures & videos of AC 787:

Trip review with pictures from galawdawg:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23555730-post1724.html
pictures from TravellingBeard
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24068136-post2054.html

Onboard videos from cooleddie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBND...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvVH...ature=youtu.be
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24182736-post2123.html

Video trip report, J-class, YYZ-YVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKfq6KEles

3 Class Video review of AC's Dreamliner with Pilot and SD interview
https://youtu.be/5N4_bIEut6I

Trip review with pictures from FlyerJT:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/air-canada-787-economy-review/

In depth video review of AC's 787-8 Dreamliner International Business Class
https://youtu.be/X8u1jvjk_3w
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
Isn't the picture that of some airbus? although 2-3-2 is kind of odd too, like a 767.
It is a Skymark A333 interior with an all Premium Economy seating ! Seats are quite nice, sad part is that Skymark often has operational issues ! They are always cheaper than Red and Blue in Japan !
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Just got off of AC5, my first 787 flight.
A few comments:

First, I was surprised at how empty the flight was: 4 empty seats in J, only 4 pax in
PE, and Y was maybe 50% occupied.

The J seat was very comfortable when in bed position, shoulder width and total length
were adequate for me to sleep in any position. However, in sitting position, the leg rest
does not come up high enough, nor extend far enough, to accomodate my legs.
Unlike the old pods, when in seated position, my feet cannot extend to reach the
built-in foot rest ( I am 6' tall). So I was never able to attain a comfortable sitting
position.

The reading lights were poorly aimed, and could not be adjusted. They are aimed at
my shoulder, rather than at my lap where my book is located.

I was quite happy with the IFE, but the call button is poorly located, and I hit it accidently twice.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:37 am

I find that is pretty typical of Canada-Japan flights. If it was empty for you going, you can be sure it is approx. 100% full coming back.

AC6 06/SEP
J/3 C/3 D/1 Z/0 P/0 R/0
O/7 E/5 N/4 Y/7 B/6 M/6 U/6 H/6 Q/0 V/0 W/0 S/0 T/0 L/0 G/0
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Was on AC 6 yesterday sep 5- my first flight on AC 787. I was in J...

Overall plane is good- seat is comfortable; IFE is great, with good headphones in J.

But...

1) no air vents in the middle rows of J- I found the flight almost unbearably warm during the night...I like to have air vents to keep me cool so I can sleep well. The single seats by the windows all seem to have vents.

2) no overhead storage in middle row in J. Not sure why...the ceilings are huge.

3) whole the seat is comfortable, I found it a little challenging to get in and out of when it is reclined. Your feet are tucked away in a covers area, and you need to swing out before you can get up.

NothIng horrible- just a few comments....though the temperature needs to be better through the night.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
AC 5/6 seem to be the FT flights of choice for the 787
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Plumber
Was on AC 6 yesterday sep 5- my first flight on AC 787. I was in J...

Overall plane is good- seat is comfortable; IFE is great, with good headphones in J.

But...

1) no air vents in the middle rows of J- I found the flight almost unbearably warm during the night...I like to have air vents to keep me cool so I can sleep well. The single seats by the windows all seem to have vents.

2) no overhead storage in middle row in J. Not sure why...the ceilings are huge.

3) whole the seat is comfortable, I found it a little challenging to get in and out of when it is reclined. Your feet are tucked away in a covers area, and you need to swing out before you can get up.

NothIng horrible- just a few comments....though the temperature needs to be better through the night.
There are no centre bins for two reasons from what I've been told. To avoid a "closed in feeling" and also it is the area directly beneath the Pilot bunks and an issue regarding weight distribution. Vents would be difficult as you'd have to stand on the seats (most wouldn't) to access. If at any time you find the cabin too warm, just ask. It's very easy to adjust on request and very responsive on this aircraft. Hope you're having a great summer.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
There are no centre bins for two reasons from what I've been told. To avoid a "closed in feeling" and also it is the area directly beneath the Pilot bunks and an issue regarding weight distribution. Vents would be difficult as you'd have to stand on the seats (most wouldn't) to access. If at any time you find the cabin too warm, just ask. It's very easy to adjust on request and very responsive on this aircraft. Hope you're having a great summer.
I am outraged that AC didn't pay for digital vents in new J. Everything else on the 787 is digital and PAX at AC get screwed with no vents.

I'm moving to UA

Seriously though...when I flew on 5, it felt very comfortable. I am still amazed how many in charges were on that flight. Would have been entertaining to see a battle royal to see who would come out on top for that flight. It was suggested but no on agreed.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I am outraged that AC didn't pay for digital vents in new J. Everything else on the 787 is digital and PAX at AC get screwed with no vents.

I'm moving to UA

Seriously though...when I flew on 5, it felt very comfortable. I am still amazed how many in charges were on that flight. Would have been entertaining to see a battle royal to see who would come out on top for that flight. It was suggested but no on agreed.
Believe it or not we have the same questions that you do

There are 14 coaches flying throughout the system to help familiarize with the aircraft. There were 4 SD's (2 blocked and 2 coaches) on my last HND, and fear not, we all love each other.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Believe it or not we have the same questions that you do

There are 14 coaches flying throughout the system to help familiarize with the aircraft. There were 4 SD's (2 blocked and 2 coaches) on my last HND, and fear not, we all love each other.
How many HND have you worked now? I'm glad to see the 787 is moving you onto the routes I frequent instead of Europe, your previously stated preference
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
This explains the delay...

From a comment on a unrelated blog post I just ran across:
"I take your point about the smoke contamination. There was an unreported in the press incident involving a B787 battery fire on an Air Canada B787 here at Everett that they managed keep under wraps, and the smell contamination issue was a major concern. It was their very first aircraft."

I think he is confusing the first delivery (LN-160) with the third one (LN-174)
http://leehamnews.com/2014/08/28/qan...se-to-a330neo/
(look for Duncan S's comment August 28, 6:24 PM)

Last edited by The Lev; Sep 6, 2014 at 7:19 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
Originally Posted by airbus320
Air Canada from 26OCT14 to 31DEC14 is adding new Boeing 787-8 operational route, which sees the Dreamliner aircraft operates Toronto – Copenhagen service, 3 times a week. The Boeing 787 will replace 767-300ER aircraft during this period.

AC882 YYZ2120 – 1035+1CPH 788 246
AC883 CPH1215 – 1430YYZ 788 357

Source: airlineroute.net
I'm booked on the inaugural (hopefully) flight from YYZ to CPH on the 25th of October.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I was supposed to be on AC5 tmrw but had to cancel. Colleague going in my place. Will be interested to see how he enjoys Exec on the 787.

OT PS - Was going to Kyoto and naturally was looking for flts to Kansai. Was shocked when "KIX" was not accepted at ac.com. Had no idea Itami is the only Osaka airport bookable on ac.com.

OT PPS - I Booked Z (YOW-YYZ-HND-ITM) and don't understand why Lowest Exec never seems to seat in Biz on *A flihgts? I know it's only 90 mins for HNDITM but, at 6'1/210lbs, I was a little nervous sitting in Y of ANA domestic configuration 777. 1st world problems I know ... just didn't want to "impose" on seat neighbour
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:37 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
OT PPS - I Booked Z (YOW-YYZ-HND-ITM) and don't understand why Lowest Exec never seems to seat in Biz on *A flihgts? I know it's only 90 mins for HNDITM but, at 6'1/210lbs, I was a little nervous sitting in Y of ANA domestic configuration 777. 1st world problems I know ... just didn't want to "impose" on seat neighbour
NH sells it as F on HND/ITM; not J hence you're booked in Y for that segment.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Interesting. So AC doesn't book J pax into F on domestic segments within Japan on flights with two cabins?

I know that various fares allow J pax to include a domestic F segment if the flight is operated by a two-cabin plane, though I've never looked into fare rules for Canada-Japan business class tickets.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
One could (if available at check-in) request to buy up to "Premium" class on this leg on the day, you will be asked for the co-pay though....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.