Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
*FAQ:
Q: On the 787-9 (789), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Rows 5 and 8 on both port and starboard sides have only one window, instead of two on all other port/starboard J seats.

Q: On the 787-8 (788), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Only row 5 port and starboard sides have zero windows.

Q: Does the middle J seats' middle divider come down?
A: No, on the 788 and 789 the middle divider does not come down and is fixed in place. In fact, all Dream Cabin (788, 789, 77L, 77W) middle dividers are fixed and do not come down.

Member pictures & videos of AC 787:

Trip review with pictures from galawdawg:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23555730-post1724.html
pictures from TravellingBeard
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24068136-post2054.html

Onboard videos from cooleddie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBND...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvVH...ature=youtu.be
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24182736-post2123.html

Video trip report, J-class, YYZ-YVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKfq6KEles

3 Class Video review of AC's Dreamliner with Pilot and SD interview
https://youtu.be/5N4_bIEut6I

Trip review with pictures from FlyerJT:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/air-canada-787-economy-review/

In depth video review of AC's 787-8 Dreamliner International Business Class
https://youtu.be/X8u1jvjk_3w
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:03 am
No longer with Air Canada
Original Poster

Today we have some exciting updates about Air Canada’s Boeing 787 Dreamliner fleet. Our 787 fleet will offer completely redesigned seating and cabin amenities to provide you with the very best in comfort and contemporary design, while simultaneously allowing us to renew our international widebody fleet with the next generation of modern and fuel efficient aircraft.

Below are some pertinent details about Air Canada’s launch of Boeing 787 Dreamliner flying. You can find even more information at 787.aircanada.com, including a cabin walkthrough video.
Entry into Service

Air Canada will take delivery of the first of 37 Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft in Spring 2014, and will begin operating the aircraft for a limited introductory period on select flights from Toronto to destinations in Canada and Europe. By July 2014, Dreamliner service will be regularly available on flights between Toronto & Tel Aviv.

More flights will be announced at a later date as we receive more aircraft. The fuel efficiency of the Boeing 787 will open up opportunities for Air Canada to serve new international destinations.

In-flight Products

The interior of Air Canada’s Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft will feature fully redesigned décor, cabin architecture and seating, desgined to provide you with an exceptional travel experience. With the introduction of the Boeing 787, Air Canada is unveiling a contemporary, sophisticated cabin design highlighted with a pallette of charcoal and neutral tones, accented by Air Canada red.

Three cabins of service will be available on the Boeing 787: International Business Class, Premium Economy and Economy.
  • International Business Class will feature 20 lie-flat Executive Pods with an adjustable pneumatic cushion system, extending to 80-inches in length when in a fully-flat sleeping position. The cushioning will also feature a full-length massage function. With a 1-2-1 configuration, each seat will have direct aisle access. The personal entertainment screen, at 18-inches, will be the largest offered by a North American airline in Business Class. What’s more, to enhance your in-flight dining experience, espresso and cappuccino service, featuring freshly-brewed Lavazza coffee, will be available on all Dreamliner services.
  • Premium Economy will feature 21 seats in a 2-3-2 configuration, providing 38-inches of legroom, and equipped with an intuitive touch personal entertainment screen up to 11-inches in size, along with a USB outlet and universal power outlet.
  • Economy will feature 210 slimline seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, optimizing your personal space. Each seat is equipped with an intuitive touch personal entertainment screen up to 9-inches in size, with a USB outlet and universal power outlet available at arm’s reach.
In-flight Experience

As many of you are aware, the Boeing 787 not only provides a dramatic increase in fuel efficiency versus the Boeing 767 aircraft it replaces. It also offers an unparalleled passenger experience in the cabin, including a quieter, smoother flight with lower cabin altitude & higher humidity levels, complemented by 30% larger windows and cleaner cabin air via an advanced filtration system that brings in fresh air from the outside.

New Names for Executive Class and Executive First

You may have noticed above that we refer to International Business Class service, where previously we would speak about Executive First – in fact you already caught onto this change here. In order to streamline the names of our in-flight premium services, we will now refer to Executive Class as Business Class. On longhaul international services operated by our widebody fleet, Executive First will now be specially designated as International Business Class.

Fleet Renewal

Air Canada will take delivery of the first of 15 787-8 aircraft in Spring 2014, and expects delivery of 22 longer range 787-9 aircraft beginning in mid-2015. All Dreamliner aircraft are scheduled to be delivered by 2019.

As we welcome more Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft to our fleet, Boeing 767-300ERs will be transferred to our leisure carrier, Air Canada rouge.
We look forward to seeing you onboard this exciting new aircraft beginning next year; in the meantime, learn more about Air Canada’s Boeing 787 Dreamliner fleet by visiting 787.aircanada.com.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 4, 2013 at 9:27 am
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: Altitude SEMM
787 Info on AC.com

Haven't seen this posted yet. http://787.aircanada.com/en

Thoughts?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Nice find! This was definitely not posted before.

I do like the arrangement of the Business Class seats, you can choose the window if you prefer to be by yourself and the two in the middle for couples. Good to see that they indeed did not opt for the seat on the 777 HD.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks for posting!

It looks like the J cabin will have pods.^ Based on the photo it looks like a forward-facing pod with a smaller angle which makes the 1-2-1 config feasible.

PE seems to have a 2-3-2 config which is very good.

Y looks like a 3-3-3 config - no big surprise there.

Overall it looks like a nice layout. Only 20 J seats will make upgrading a big challenge, but I prefer a smaller J cabin over crappy seats. Good to see the 77P is not the new AC standard.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Looks pretty nice. 9-abreast in Y.

The pods in J look quite nice. And I am glad they are finally investing in espresso machine. It seems from the pics that the FAs are even going to be trained in latte art

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 4, 2013 at 7:31 am Reason: sizing
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by padregusmao
Looks pretty nice. 9-abreast in Y.

The pods in J look quite nice. And I am glad they are finally investing in espresso machine. It seems from the pics that the FAs are even going to be trained in latte art
^ An espresso machine is a huge improvement over the regular coffee machine.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: Altitude SEMM
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thanks for posting!

It looks like the J cabin will have pods.^ Based on the photo it looks like a forward-facing pod with a smaller angle which makes the 1-2-1 config feasible.
From the photo, it looks like the feet are angled slightly away from the aisles. Look forward to trying it.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Reverse herringbone is a nice change. I agree though 20J will make it a challenge.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Taking a closer look at the PE seats it looks like they are better than the PE seats on the 77P, e.g. no Y-style armrests. The PE cabin actually looks similar to the domestic J seats.^
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Wonder which Canada-Europe routes it'll fly!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I like the 1-2-1 layout, as it beats the 2s that UA employs in its aircraft.

Love the PE as well, since that is what I'll travel in most of the time. I wouldn't want to be the middle seat mate, though.

Looking forward to the 787's arrival, and have been checking that 787 blog for the latest on production updates. Will need to book a few vacation days when they start the short haul "test flights".
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
First dedicated route Toronto-Tel Aviv - July, 2014.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
TLV will be the first route, starting from 2nd July.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don´t think we´ll see any new routes in the near future even though the 787 would make many previously uneconomical routes feasible.

If I had o guess, I´d say the 787 will fly to ICN, TLV and possibly ZRH/IST.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I don´t think we´ll see any new routes in the near future even though the 787 would make many previously uneconomical routes feasible.

If I had o guess, I´d say the 787 will fly to ICN, TLV and possibly ZRH/IST.
788 flights to TLV already loaded from 2 July 2014. The 787 website also says that TLV will be the first scheduled route (however, initial domestic and shorter one time transatlantic runs will be operated). Very good prices for PE - $2100 to YYZ and some onward US destinations I checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.