Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
*FAQ:
Q: On the 787-9 (789), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Rows 5 and 8 on both port and starboard sides have only one window, instead of two on all other port/starboard J seats.

Q: On the 787-8 (788), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Only row 5 port and starboard sides have zero windows.

Q: Does the middle J seats' middle divider come down?
A: No, on the 788 and 789 the middle divider does not come down and is fixed in place. In fact, all Dream Cabin (788, 789, 77L, 77W) middle dividers are fixed and do not come down.

Member pictures & videos of AC 787:

Trip review with pictures from galawdawg:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23555730-post1724.html
pictures from TravellingBeard
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24068136-post2054.html

Onboard videos from cooleddie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBND...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvVH...ature=youtu.be
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24182736-post2123.html

Video trip report, J-class, YYZ-YVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKfq6KEles

3 Class Video review of AC's Dreamliner with Pilot and SD interview
https://youtu.be/5N4_bIEut6I

Trip review with pictures from FlyerJT:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/air-canada-787-economy-review/

In depth video review of AC's 787-8 Dreamliner International Business Class
https://youtu.be/X8u1jvjk_3w
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I just wanted to provide a quick review of economy class. There is a ton of info here about PE and J, however not much on economy. We booked one of these crazy sales to Japan. It was $702 CAD, for YYC-NRT direct. J was $5200. It wasn't worth it for 9.5 hours, so we went with economy, and it really wasn't that bad.

We wisely booked seats A and C, about 6 rows from the back (35 A and C), hoping that the flight wouldnt be too full and no one booked the middle seat. It worked both ways, and we had an entire row to ourselves. People who booked A+B often had someone sitting beside them, so I highly reccomend booking a window and aisle if you are a couple. Even if someone books the middle, they are clearly going to be OK with switching you for a window or aisle.

A few seats to avoid. 30C and 30G. These seats are DIRECTLY in front of the bathroom door. I can't believe they designed it this way. Unreal.

The food was awful. But hey, we flew to Japan, direct, for $700 bucks, so who can complain.

The seatback entertainment was great. Excellent selection, TV never froze, we really enjoyed it.

I am 5' 11", 190 pounds. Leg room was sufficient.

I really didn't like that the windows don't blackout. When we were flying TO Japan, the sun was shining bright on us the entire time, and it made it a little difficult to sleep. It was also very hot. I would recommend sitting on the other side of the plane (G+I?) when flying to Asia.

Other than that, I thought it was a comfortable flight. Not nearly as bad as people on this forum would lead one to believe. If flying the dreamliner means sub $800 flights to Tokyo, I'm a big fan.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
From my post in the 777 Thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27282334-post1244.html

777 J seat measurements

Further to the discussion on the space in the 788/9 J seat versus that of the 777 refurbed cabin J seat, I had promised I would take a tape measure on a flight. And I did.

Since I am one of those who feels the space of the 777 version of the pod is somewhat shorter/smaller, I took measurements of 3 areas.

Now you can feel free to measure the next time you're on the 788/9.

For those needing some visual cues....here are 2 photos from one of my recent flights. I'm sure somewhere there are manufacturer specs, but for the purpose of this discussion, I'm sure my measurement will do.

IFE screen to the back of the seat, exactly at the height of the table: 38" or 96.5 cm

Leading edge of table in the closed position to the back of the seat: 31" or 78.7 cm

Opening of pod near floor level, from the wall to the base of the pod where the holder is with the light inside: 11.25" or 28.6 cm

I forgot to measure the vertical distance between the table and the seat both in the closed and lie-flat positions, as that is where some of us side-sleepers have an issue turning without getting hit by the table. It is worse on the 777 than the 788/9. IMHO.

-----------

789 J seat measurements

Further to my post in the 777 thread where I took some measurements in SEAT 1A in the new refurbished cabin, here are the measurements from SEAT 1A on the 789.

IFE screen to the back of the seat, exactly at the height of the table: 41" or 104 cm

Leading edge of table in the closed position to the back of the seat: 34" or 86 cm

Opening of pod near floor level 6" or 15cm, from the wall to the base of the pod where the holder is with the light inside: 12" or 30.48 cm

Conclusion:

789 Seat 1A space is slightly larger than 777 Seat 1A space, as measured in 3 areas

I took the measurements as I am not the only one who felt the pod space in the refurb'd cabin was slightly smaller than in the original 788/9 cabin.

The measurements are as close as I could get with a standard measuring tape.

Attached Images  
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 24left
Conclusion:

789 Seat 1A space is slightly larger than 777 Seat 1A space, as measured in 3 areas

I took the measurements as I am not the only one who felt the pod space in the refurb'd cabin was slightly smaller than in the original 788/9 cabin.

The measurements are as close as I could get with a standard measuring tape.

Thanks for doing this! The one area that always struck me as tight was the third measurement you took, the opening to the aisle. That's the one that stood out the most and yet it's the smallest difference versus the 789. Very interesting...
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffsim
Thanks for doing this! The one area that always struck me as tight was the third measurement you took, the opening to the aisle. That's the one that stood out the most and yet it's the smallest difference versus the 789. Very interesting...
I have another measurement on my flight notes that said: Opening 15.5"

But I don't remember which opening I meant, so I or someone else who cares about this stuff will have to remeasure. LOL

Still, I know the 777 space is SMALLER and now I have some proof.

Last edited by 24left; Oct 21, 2016 at 6:52 pm Reason: spelling of course
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: TK *G
I noticed another small detail on 777 recently. The IFE screen is not facing exactly towards you, it's slightly facing towards the aisle. Next time when I fly on 788/9 I will take a look.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan Black, AC - E50K, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by 24left
From my post in the 777 Thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27282334-post1244.html

IFE screen to the back of the seat, exactly at the height of the table: 38" or 96.5 cm

Leading edge of table in the closed position to the back of the seat: 31" or 78.7 cm

Opening of pod near floor level, from the wall to the base of the pod where the holder is with the light inside: 11.25" or 28.6 cm

I forgot to measure the vertical distance between the table and the seat both in the closed and lie-flat positions, as that is where some of us side-sleepers have an issue turning without getting hit by the table. It is worse on the 777 than the 788/9. IMHO.

-----------

789 J seat measurements

Further to my post in the 777 thread where I took some measurements in SEAT 1A in the new refurbished cabin, here are the measurements from SEAT 1A on the 789.

IFE screen to the back of the seat, exactly at the height of the table: 41" or 104 cm

Leading edge of table in the closed position to the back of the seat: 34" or 86 cm

Opening of pod near floor level 6" or 15cm, from the wall to the base of the pod where the holder is with the light inside: 12" or 30.48 cm
Much appreciated! I am a reasonably wide guy so I did notice the extra 3" on the 789. Good to know I wasn't losing it at 40000'.

Last edited by ScGhost0; Oct 21, 2016 at 6:45 pm Reason: Shortening the quote
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScGhost0
Much appreciated! I am a reasonably wide guy so I did notice the extra 3" on the 789. Good to know I wasn't losing it at 40000'.

We've had a bit of a raging debate on this issue. There was a thread somewhere where this was discussed.

Many of us were convinced the space on the 788/9 was bigger and I noticed it when I was on a few flights.

So I decided to do some mild measuring.

One of the major irritants is that the table cannot be stored so it is not in the way. And when the seat is in lie-flat position, I found side-sleeping impossible as the table would hit my legs.

Anyway, IIRC, I one posted that the only ones who know the exact dimensions are the manufacturer and AC and neither are going to share.

3 inches makes a huge difference. (Yes, you can all laugh now)
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Took a couple of close-up photos of PE Row 12 on the 789

Attached Images   
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SE 100K, Marriott Titanium
Do the 787s flying YYZ-LAX have wifi? Can't find any information online.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mimo123
Only narrow body aircraft within NA have wifi - AC still lacks a global wifi product, trailing far behind other airlines.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mimo123
This thread might help you. Did you search on FT or just a general search?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...d-wifi-47.html
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
A little birdie told me that SFO is getting a 787. And I don't mean a one-off.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
A little birdie told me that SFO is getting a 787. And I don't mean a one-off.
SFO-YVR? That's a lot of bird for a little cow.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
SFO-YVR? That's a lot of bird for a little cow.
I would assume it would replace one of the 767s flying to YYZ, but I didn't press for details
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I would assume it would replace one of the 767s flying to YYZ, but I didn't press for details
I was hoping they would replace the CRA for YYC-SFO. One can always dream though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.