Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:10 pm

How long do these promotions typically last? I just opened an Infinite Visa last week (d'oh!)

g.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by seks
Wonder if I should close down my TD VISA Infinite then just in case the new offer in Mar is on the same card?

Then again, it's the only VISA I have. And this is only card I have that incur aeroplan miles (I will be receiving my new AMEX Gold Rewards sometime in next 2 wks)
Just wondering the same thing. I'm not sure about TD but many CC companies require a 3 month break between closing a card and reapplying for the same card. Less than 3 months they simply re-open the "closed" account.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by prmetime
Just wondering the same thing. I'm not sure about TD but many CC companies require a 3 month break between closing a card and reapplying for the same card. Less than 3 months they simply re-open the "closed" account.
I opened my 2nd account within days of closing the previous( after more than 6 months of opening the closed account).....received promo again.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by groovejumper
How long do these promotions typically last? I just opened an Infinite Visa last week (d'oh!)

g.
TD Infinite aeroplan seem to have one promotion after the other and usually different offers at the same time depending of which website you apply thru. eg they have at least 2 diifferent promo's on right now.....
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by jubberly
I opened my 2nd account within days of closing the previous( after more than 6 months of opening the closed account).....received promo again.
Thanks - I appreciate the info
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Lounge Access

From searching back through this thread it appears you still get one lounge visit as a benefit. I'm currently in Asia, flying back to yyz on an Alaskan J award ticket and connecting to an aeroplan Y award for yyz-yow. My current TD visa is probably 3-4 months old. If I understand this correctly, I should be able to swipe my TD Visa at the domestic lounge to gain entry?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
"Every year, you benefit from a complimentary one‑time guest access benefit to the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge when you travel using an Aeroplan Flight Reward on a flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada rouge or under the Air Canada express banner. Simply present yourself at the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge with your Aeroplan Flight Reward boarding pass and provide your TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite* Card to access the Lounge."

https://www4.aeroplan.com/TDCardInfinite.do
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: *void

For the once-per-year MLL access via TD/CIBC Aeroplan Visas.

Based on my experience, and from previous posters - basically, you're at the mercy of the MLL (Air Canada) system, hoping that when your TD/CIBC Visa card is swiped through their card reader that:
1) the CC number is registered in their system, as a valid Aeroplan Visa card
2) the Aeroplan number listed as associated to the CC is the same as the Aeroplan number that was used to book this ticket, based on the boarding pass supplied...should have "AC*CC" listed on it as the status.
3) there is an unused annual entrance credit on file.
YMMV if you don't meet the conditions above.

FYI, this means that you do NOT necessarily need to have paid your Aero award's taxes/fees using the card that is actually being swiped.
Personally, and it doesn't mean much, but I wish they could have stayed with issuing paper passes. :-/
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
FYI, this means that you do NOT necessarily need to have paid your Aero award's taxes/fees using the card that is actually being swiped.
Personally, and it doesn't mean much, but I wish they could have stayed with issuing paper passes. :-/
Same.

The current system means that for anyone with status, there's no benefit.

At least with a paper pass I could give it to someone else.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well Aeroplan sent me an email today telling me all the benefits of my card.

Free checked bag, priority services, free checked bag, one-time lounge access (for me only), and "travel insurances".

The first three are useless because I'm SE. The latter is useless because it's not as good as my other cards. So I called to cancel. I also mentioned the foreign transaction fee. "Well, no cards in Canada have no foreign transaction fee."

1. That's not true
2. I have US cards too

So bye bye card.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
For the once-per-year MLL access via TD/CIBC Aeroplan Visas.

Based on my experience, and from previous posters - basically, you're at the mercy of the MLL (Air Canada) system, hoping that when your TD/CIBC Visa card is swiped through their card reader that:
1) the CC number is registered in their system, as a valid Aeroplan Visa card
2) the Aeroplan number listed as associated to the CC is the same as the Aeroplan number that was used to book this ticket, based on the boarding pass supplied...should have "AC*CC" listed on it as the status.
3) there is an unused annual entrance credit on file.
YMMV if you don't meet the conditions above.

2 additional things to consider:

(a) One must be flying on flight operated by Air Canada, presumably in economy class. If one redeems a ticket on another airline, e.g., UA, TK or LH, I don't think one may use the MLL pass. Business or First class redemption ticket holders on any *A partner airlines may use the MLL without the need of a pass.

(b) I don't have a TD Aeroplan Visa any more, so I don't know the travel insurance coverage details but my CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Privilege requires at least 75% of the "Full Fare" be charged to the card to effect the travel insurance coverage.

"Full Fare" means "at least seventy-five percent (75%) of the Common Carrier ticket price, which was charged to Your Card. Full fare is extended to include a Common Carrier ticket obtained through the redemption of points from the Card travel reward program."
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I am delighted that I have finally been able to rid myself of the TD CC. The initial incompetence of TD resulted in my having to waste hours to;
1. Correct AP number assigned to the CC
2. Go to a branch and complete the application as it could not be processed online. It gave TD an opportunity to try and sell me products I neither wanted , nor needed.
It got better because TD subjected me to multiple phone calls from telemarketers trying to sell me life & disability insurance to cover my credit card debt in case I died, or became incapacitated. This from a bank that had supposedly done a credit check on me. The lack of integrity was unbelievable, because the credit check and my credit history was such that I was the last person to need the insurance. I had intended to get rid of TD last year, but never got around to it.
TD doesn't make getting rid of the card easy either. Anyway, good riddance to TD Visa.

I have a hunch the transaction with Aeroplan will not shake out as expected for TD. I am not the only one who received the TD service treatment.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I have a hunch the transaction with Aeroplan will not shake out as expected for TD.
Didn't TD boast success of getting the ae portfolio?

At least CIBC got to retain some of the ae business. Now TD and CIBC are taking turns giving FYF and bonus -- which means we can continue to churn and earn the bonus points.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:56 am

I'm quite happy with my TD Aeroplan card, and since I'm not SE, those benefits are of value to me

Does anyone know (or care) if I can access the free checked bag if I check in on line, or do I have to do it in person?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
It got better because TD subjected me to multiple phone calls from telemarketers trying to sell me life & disability insurance to cover my credit card debt in case I died, or became incapacitated. This from a bank that had supposedly done a credit check on me.
I don't have this problem.

But maybe the solution is to have your file account managed (assuming one banks with TD, have a personal banker who is willing to attach their name to your profile).

Oh, and there might be a note on my general account that says "Gets angry if provided with marketing in branch" (all in caps). So that might help lol. (Story is I walked into a random branch in Ottawa and when the teller started selling me something (to be fair, doing this job), I politely cut him off and said, "Don't do this again; if I want something, I will speak to my account manager at one of the three branches I regularly visit".

So maybe that is the secret.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.