Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

GTAA & AC announce a new commercial agreement to make YYZ a global hub

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GTAA & AC announce a new commercial agreement to make YYZ a global hub

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Does being a "global hub" include travelling to/from downtown TO? It seems ludicrous to call YYZ a global hub when there is no decent public transit connection to the city.
Come 2015 there will be a rail link to union station.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
Original Member

the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) and Air Canada announce an enhanced commercial relationship
Which one is getting "enhanced"?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:02 pm
Original Member

Oh, of course... it's the passenger who will get enhanced.

enhance the travel experience for Toronto Pearson passengers
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I'll believe it when it actually starts operating.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Wait until metrolinks starts guzzling all the finds and the program is further stretched to 2018. Look at Ehealth
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Wait until metrolinks starts guzzling all the finds and the program is further stretched to 2018. Look at Ehealth
Damn Metrolink and the way they run Ehealth!!!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Several restaurant options have been added. Have you passed through recently??
Which ones?

I was there in April - all I recall is that sit down restaurant, a burger joint of some sort, a Tim Hortons next to it and that Smirnoff bar ....thing in the middle. Apart from the larger duty free, it was even worse than YOW in terms of food options post-security.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
I think the baggage issue is more of an issue with AC than YYZ. I have have pretty quick baggage delivery with AA & DL at YYZ T3 along with YUL & YVR, but abysmal baggage delivery with AC at YYZ, YUL, YVR, YYC & YHZ.

I agree with you about the gate areas for AC Int'l at YYZ, pretty small for given the number of people waiting in the area, YUL is no better though for Int'l gates, US gates are decent, but that is probably due to the lower seating capacity planes that use those gates.

I would transit Int'l via YYZ over YUL any day, YUL is just a wannabe Int'l airport that is really a domestic and minor trans-border airport.

If Canada were to have an airport like MUC or AMS then I'd use that for as much travel as possible.
I was in YUL a little over a month ago. A lot of it was under construction, but the food options and shopping options struck me as far superior to YYZ (though the MLL is admittedly inferior). I'm not much of a lounge body - I don't drink alchohol before/during flights and the food options at MLLs are generally pretty weak. Shops and restaurants are the best way to kill time, and YUL always has an interesting array of aircraft during the evening departure bank. I mean, Royal Air Maroc 744 ... what a delight to stare at.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
includes annual fixed aeronautical fees for Air Canada, ..... The fixed annual fees may be adjusted in certain circumstances, including instances when fees for all other carriers operating at Toronto Pearson are adjusted.
What giborish is this.
The fees aren't really fixed then are they?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by ariyo15
No comparison! YVR is one of my all-time favorite airports!
YVR has the potential to be a fantastic hub as well, but it's held back by silly taxes, policies and a lack of routes to a few destinations (SAN, KIX, SIN, DEL)

If passengers didn't need transit visas or even to pass CBSA at all, YVR could be a great transit point for passengers in Canada, the US and even most of South America to get to/from Asia. But with silly taxes and a lack of routes, most passengers from points south will end up transiting in LAX or SFO instead.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Does being a "global hub" include travelling to/from downtown TO? It seems ludicrous to call YYZ a global hub when there is no decent public transit connection to the city.
192. Costs $3.00 to anywhere in the city.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Vasco
I'm with you there. Going International to Domestic at YYZ T1 on Air Canada is pointlessly slow, long and frustrating.

We're a country of 35 million people, and all of us are forced to transit through YYZ now. The best hub would be no hub at all. Wasn't that the promise of the 787 and A350? More long-haul, point-to-point flights from smaller airports and less reliance on super-hubs like YYZ?
There needs to be enough point-to-point traffic to justify these direct routes you want. Our 35 million people are spread out across a pretty wide geography. Exactly which global point-to-point routes are you suggesting that are currently unserved?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YYZ and AC : still not the best dealing with IROPS
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by The Lev
There needs to be enough point-to-point traffic to justify these direct routes you want. Our 35 million people are spread out across a pretty wide geography. Exactly which global point-to-point routes are you suggesting that are currently unserved?
But that's why he's saying they need to attract US customers. AC seems to have done a good job in the past by offering SYD fares cheaper from LAX (through YVR) than through YVR. The same can be done with other routes, but the CBSA thing remains a pain for transiting passengers.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So YYZ as a HUB will competes with the likes of LHR,DXB,SIN and HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.