Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

GTAA & AC announce a new commercial agreement to make YYZ a global hub

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by cedric
YVR??
I find the walk from an Int'l to Domestic connection extremely long and irritating.

Yes, you can end up at the back end of YYZ but the fast moving sidewalks help.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
This a very good news.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:10 am

Hopefully part of being a global hub is a requirement that you are able to buy a least a cup of coffee between 12:01 AM to 6 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
What about the stupid scamcharges???
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

Transiting YYZ:

To US transit you are now put in that new "YYZ US jail" waiting for bag matching. So lame and confusing for everyone. Can get packed too.

To Int'l transit: YVR has a long walk but so does YYZ, especially when the high speed walkway is down. Space near each gate is abysmal compared to the football fields of room at YVR.

I literally hate transiting YYZ and hate waiting for bags there even more. YYZ has the worst bag delivery of any airport I've been to globally.

Last edited by Dorian; Oct 18, 2013 at 11:27 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
To Int'l transit: YVR has a long walk but so does YYZ, especially when the high speed walkway is down.
Which in my experience the express walkway is down >50% of the time in at least one direction.

I heard ThyssenKrupp has a full time employee in YYZ just to repair it. Apparently YYZ has the prototype for that type of system and reliability is a headache.

Nice when it works, though.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Dorian
Transiting YYZ:

To US transit you are now put in that new "YYZ US jail" waiting for bag matching. So lame and confusing for everyone. Can get packed too.

To Int'l transit: YVR has a long walk but so does YYZ, especially when the high speed walkway is down. Space near each gate is abysmal compared to the football fields of room at YVR.

I literally hate transiting YYZ and hate waiting for bags there even more. YYZ has the worst bag delivery of any airport I've been to globally.
I think the baggage issue is more of an issue with AC than YYZ. I have have pretty quick baggage delivery with AA & DL at YYZ T3 along with YUL & YVR, but abysmal baggage delivery with AC at YYZ, YUL, YVR, YYC & YHZ.

I agree with you about the gate areas for AC Int'l at YYZ, pretty small for given the number of people waiting in the area, YUL is no better though for Int'l gates, US gates are decent, but that is probably due to the lower seating capacity planes that use those gates.

I would transit Int'l via YYZ over YUL any day, YUL is just a wannabe Int'l airport that is really a domestic and minor trans-border airport.

If Canada were to have an airport like MUC or AMS then I'd use that for as much travel as possible.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
No since Toronto has 2 airports.

I prefer YVR over YYZ for transit. Hell, even YUL is better than YYZ.
No comparison! YVR is one of my all-time favorite airports!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I find the walk from an Int'l to Domestic connection extremely long and irritating.

Yes, you can end up at the back end of YYZ but the fast moving sidewalks help.
I'm with you there. Going International to Domestic at YYZ T1 on Air Canada is pointlessly slow, long and frustrating.

We're a country of 35 million people, and all of us are forced to transit through YYZ now. The best hub would be no hub at all. Wasn't that the promise of the 787 and A350? More long-haul, point-to-point flights from smaller airports and less reliance on super-hubs like YYZ?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Vasco
...We're a country of 35 million people, and all of us are forced to transit through YYZ now....
Huh?

Icelandair for me or any American carrier.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
I avoid YYZ at all costs.

A global hub would be open 24 hours.
Nobody would dispute that Heathrow is a Global Hub and if not mistaken they have a midnight to 0600 curfew.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
The worst I've had at YYZ is arriving at the end of the int'l concourse from MCI (the regional gates), the INCREDIBLY long walk to the transfer passport control, and then walking all the way back to get to the gate for FRA all while being delayed on the inbound. Wicked!
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:22 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
YYZ global hub - the funniest oxymoron I've seen in a while...
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco

...We're a country of 35 million people, and all of us are forced to transit through YYZ now....

Huh?

Icelandair for me or any American carrier.
Wow. Icelandair? Transit the US? Hell no.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Does being a "global hub" include travelling to/from downtown TO? It seems ludicrous to call YYZ a global hub when there is no decent public transit connection to the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.