Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC applies to fly HND-YYZ from spring 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC applies to fly HND-YYZ from spring 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I've since added titles for super happiness clarification.

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Considering the other 2 shots are from YYZ, nope !
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by tyberius
Gah, this is what we started with. I hadn't given it any thought since then.

So if they equipment changed it sometime between the time and booking and now, this is the first I heard of it, which really, really blows especially as it is by a few days only.

I am definitely going to have to change their seats, and my flight.

So thanks you guys for clarifying that they took this plane off the route. I know that equipment is not a guarantee but at 82 and over this long flight, the 788 was going to make a huge difference to their ability to handle it. I have to consider moving them up then but no idea if they would make the seats available or even if there were any.

Me I don't care so much, a pod is fine. As long as I don't end up in the HD. But I will probably switch to BR as soon as that problem is fixed.
Just had a look at that AC5 on October 29th and noticed something rather strange.

Of the two J cabins all the 18 seats in the rear cabin show as occupied while ther are plenty of seats in the (better?) front J cabin.

If you didn't select seats for your parents in the 77L they may have been changed automatically and may not like an arbitrary random seat allocation.

If need be you can move them now while there is still reasonable choice!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Currently booked on N fare AC005 in 8 days. FIN 803 is ready, right?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:33 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Currently booked on N fare AC005 in 8 days. FIN 803 is ready, right?
To my knowledge, ZA612 (fin 803) has yet to fly its first flight. Still not sure why.

That being said, YYZ-LHR is scheduled to end July 13th, and YYZ-ZRH ending July 14th., according to http://airlineroute.net/2014/01/04/787/

So I would guess you are still OK.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Air Canada Celebrates Launch of its Boeing 787 Dreamliner to Tokyo-Haneda

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1387...o-tokyo-haneda

TORONTO, July 15, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada customers flying AC005 from Toronto to Tokyo-Haneda made history today as they boarded one of the airline's brand new Boeing 787 Dreamliners now operating Air Canada's first new scheduled route with the ultra-modern, fuel efficient aircraft.

"We are delighted to introduce our customers flying between Toronto and Tokyo-Haneda to Air Canada's new international standard for comfort on our state-of-the-art Boeing 787 Dreamliner," said Benjamin Smith, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer. "Feedback from customers who have flown on our Dreamliners has been extremely positive particularly with respect to the comfort and spaciousness in all three cabins, our newest enhanced definition seat back touch screen in-flight entertainment, the quieter, smoother ride and the technological advancements providing a more refreshing feel at the end of the journey. We look forward to deploying the Boeing 787 Dreamliner on our Toronto to Tel Aviv route later this summer, and on our Vancouver to Tokyo-Narita and Shanghai routes this coming winter."

Air Canada launched Tokyo-Haneda service on July 1 using a Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and its transition today to Boeing 787 Dreamliner service makes it the airline's first scheduled route for the new aircraft.

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft features a brand new contemporary décor and three cabins of service, International Business with 180-degree lie-flat pod seating, Premium Economy and Economy. It also offers an extensive choice of in-flight entertainment on enhanced-definition, seat-back touch screens along with power outlets and USB ports available for all customers. Visit 787.aircanada.com for full details and a virtual tour of the aircraft and its cabin amenities.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: FT
better late than never with the press release...i guess?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by mkjr
better late than never with the press release...i guess?
Why sarcastic?

AC was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Do the press release July 1st for the inaugration of the new route but with the 77W, or as now, with the 787.

This whole fiasco with Boeing's late deliveries could never have been predicted. Despite building a big cushion in the schedules the late Dreamliner deliveries became a schedule planning nightmare fo AC.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
So ... anybody been on the HND 787 service yet?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by ensco
If I make my delayed connection I'll be on it in about an hour and a half. Only three seats currently occupied in J.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:15 am

I have, was in Y. Now that I've been on quite a number of AC 787 flights I can say the following about Y seats:

They are about the same comfort level as the 777 9-abreast, padding wise. I was beside no one on several flights and an adult-sized person on one, and only with a large-ish person it is not comfortable. As all seats would be, even 18" wide, when beside people of size.

Legroom is just as good as the 777, end of story. Recline is more generous it seems as the seat bottom slides forward and the back still reclines 5". Didn't notice a shorter seat cushion as some have claimed, felt 100% standard to me. Pretty comfortable.

IFE is nice, passengers seated around me actually commented on it. They've already added/removed some games since the 787 was introduced, so I'm hoping they keep mixing it up.

The armrest lights/FA call button are a problem. After the first few hours everyone has made the mistake and the flashes of light become less common, though I counted at least 6 FA call buttons on at one time.

LED lighting in the cabin is much better than 777 fluorescent/LED combo. On the 777 during snack service the pink lighting is way too bright and makes it hard to sleep through, but the 787 maintains dimmer cabin lighting for the snack and is much more pleasant. LED bathroom lighting is good as the dark blue prevents light entering the cabin each time the door is opened. Makes bulkhead seats more palatable, though I moved since 31 doesn't have a good window.

A self-serve bar was set up in the Y galley. Limited drinks like juice/water and plastic cups, along with the leftover sandwiches and cookies once the snack service ended. Again much better than the 777s slide-based system.

Comfortable plane for long routes. Immediately it climbs to 35-36000 feet even tankering 12hr fuel whereas the 777s tend to go at 29000-31000 at first which is usually bumpier. Climbed up >40000 after a bit of burn on the 787 and was smooth the whole way.

My new favorite long haul aircraft as long as I don't have to experience large people next to me. Routes to Asia I think it'll do just fine on.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Anyone flown AC 787 plane yet? Impressions?

Apologies if this is in another thread (admins, please redirect if I missed it), but curious if anyone here has flown AC 787 to Haneda yet, any class? I know AC said they're rolling out more routes over time, and a reservation I had from Paris to Toronto seems to be a 787 as when I looked at the seats, I didn't see the once familiar herringbone pattern of business. Seatguru has generic shots it seems, none from passengers so curious on impressions.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:33 pm

I've been on it 4 times in Y now including R/T to HND. I posted this in the HND thread. (below)

I've also tried J and PY briefly and they are very nice. I personally prefer the old pods for legroom (no for box vs. 787) but the new J has MUCH better IFE, is more private and not run down like the classic pod. Tried it within a week of the 777HD in J, what a massive difference in product.

And here's a link to someone's blog discussing 787 J on domestic runs. http://first2board.com/hometoyyz/rev...anada-new-787/

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I have, was in Y. Now that I've been on quite a number of AC 787 flights I can say the following about Y seats:

They are about the same comfort level as the 777 9-abreast, padding wise. I was beside no one on several flights and an adult-sized person on one, and only with a large-ish person it is not comfortable. As all seats would be, even 18" wide, when beside people of size.

Legroom is just as good as the 777, end of story. Recline is more generous it seems as the seat bottom slides forward and the back still reclines 5". Didn't notice a shorter seat cushion as some have claimed, felt 100% standard to me. Pretty comfortable.

IFE is nice, passengers seated around me actually commented on it. They've already added/removed some games since the 787 was introduced, so I'm hoping they keep mixing it up.

The armrest lights/FA call button are a problem. After the first few hours everyone has made the mistake and the flashes of light become less common, though I counted at least 6 FA call buttons on at one time.

LED lighting in the cabin is much better than 777 fluorescent/LED combo. On the 777 during snack service the pink lighting is way too bright and makes it hard to sleep through, but the 787 maintains dimmer cabin lighting for the snack and is much more pleasant. LED bathroom lighting is good as the dark blue prevents light entering the cabin each time the door is opened. Makes bulkhead seats more palatable, though I moved since 31 doesn't have a good window.

A self-serve bar was set up in the Y galley. Limited drinks like juice/water and plastic cups, along with the leftover sandwiches and cookies once the snack service ended. Again much better than the 777s slide-based system.

Comfortable plane for long routes. Immediately it climbs to 35-36000 feet even tankering 12hr fuel whereas the 777s tend to go at 29000-31000 at first which is usually bumpier. Climbed up >40000 after a bit of burn on the 787 and was smooth the whole way.

My new favorite long haul aircraft as long as I don't have to experience large people next to me. Routes to Asia I think it'll do just fine on.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks very much Winnipegrev! This is a reward ticket with Aeroplan but I expect most of my flights going forward will be PY when purchased from now on. I've heard good things overall about the general cabin comfort level of the 787. Hopefully it's going to be easy to sleep in. I don't typically sleep on planes, even in J (UA business seems to be the exception, it was perfect for sleeping), so looking forward in this.

On my outbound to London, alas, it's the old standby, the 767-300, but maybe I'll get lucky and they'll make that a 787 by December.

Cheers!

Last edited by TravellingBeard; Jul 26, 2014 at 10:53 pm
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
Apologies if this is in another thread (admins, please redirect if I missed it), but curious if anyone here has flown AC 787 to Haneda yet, any class? I know AC said they're rolling out more routes over time, and a reservation I had from Paris to Toronto seems to be a 787 as when I looked at the seats, I didn't see the once familiar herringbone pattern of business. Seatguru has generic shots it seems, none from passengers so curious on impressions.
Been on the metal three times now, twice on AC005 YYZ HND.

Absolutely love the J suites. Ergonomics work for me. I get stuff done. It feels spacious.
These are my two cents.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I'm giving it a try tomorrow. Wife hopefully will be upgraded to J (looks pretty open right now), colleague and I in PE and daughter in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.