Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aventura VISA Promo - 30K Sign-Up Bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aventura VISA Promo - 30K Sign-Up Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by alc
Just thought to provide a data point for those who are planning to transfer all your Aventura points to Aeroplan before Dec 31. I called in last Monday and the miles show up last Wednesday... so the typical 2 days. But what I want to highlight is that I actually provide my wife Aeroplan number on purpose over the phone. My thought is that if it reject or someone called me, I will just say "oops, sorry" But it went thru. My wife kept her maiden name, so last name is different. She is the supplementary card holder and off course we have the same address. So, not sure if it went thru because (1) they do not care (2) her name on my account (3) same address.... or both (2) + (3)

anyway, hope this info will help someone.
Much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by alc
Just thought to provide a data point for those who are planning to transfer all your Aventura points to Aeroplan before Dec 31. I called in last Monday and the miles show up last Wednesday... so the typical 2 days. But what I want to highlight is that I actually provide my wife Aeroplan number on purpose over the phone. My thought is that if it reject or someone called me, I will just say "oops, sorry" But it went thru. My wife kept her maiden name, so last name is different. She is the supplementary card holder and off course we have the same address. So, not sure if it went thru because (1) they do not care (2) her name on my account (3) same address.... or both (2) + (3)

anyway, hope this info will help someone.
It seems Aeroplan only check addresses. For example, Amex MR points can be transferred to anyone with the same address. First and last name does not mater.

Last edited by Cana2013; Dec 9, 2013 at 9:27 pm
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I think we are all hoping. And as usual for the past couple years.. nothing. Which is quite disappointing actually.

I don't think its Amex. I think its Aeroplan responding to CX Gold, and ripping out all of the promos helping CX Gold.

My 30,000 bonus Aventura points cleared on my December statement date. So I have slightly over 31,000 points.

Two accounts: If I maintain an Aventura account, then I need to keep the card, and now I have another miles account, with an even poorer value, to track.

Value: Aventura bills their rewards as starting at 10,000 points... if the value of the flight is $100.00. So the value of the points is dubious.

Transferability: Transfers from Aventura to Aeroplan must be done by December 31.

My plan is to call CIBC today, transfer 30,000 Aventura to 30,000 Aeroplan, and abandon Aventura.

• Is there any possibility of a transfer bonus to Aeroplan between now and December 31?

• Can anyone see a scenario where holding 31,000 Aventura points is better than 30,000 Aeroplan points?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:57 pm

Ok... so I applied for the CIBC Aventura Visa Card since their website said you can convert the points to Aeroplan, and the Aeroplan site said you can convert the Aventura points to Aeroplan - figured surely their websites wouldn't say that if it weren't true, right?

I obtained the Aventura Visa at the end of October 2013 - have my 30k Aventura points in my account now - I just called the number listed on the Aeroplan website http://www4.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/more_miles.do (which states you can convert them in 10000 point increments etc), and I'm told that the websites are out of date and that Aventura points from cards opened after Oct. 1 are not eligible for conversion to Aeroplan.

Any way around this?

Seems to me there is a case to be made that they are falsely advertising here... https://www.cibcaventura.com/eng/faq.aspx#q4

Last edited by SAAG; Dec 9, 2013 at 6:05 pm
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by SAAG
Ok... so I applied for the CIBC Aventura Visa Card since their website said you can convert the points to Aeroplan, and the Aeroplan site said you can convert the Aventura points to Aeroplan - figured surely their websites wouldn't say that if it weren't true, right?

I obtained the Aventura Visa at the end of October 2013 - have my 30k Aventura points in my account now - I just called the number listed on the Aeroplan website http://www4.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/more_miles.do (which states you can convert them in 10000 point increments etc), and I'm told that the websites are out of date and that Aventura points from cards opened after Oct. 1 are not eligible for conversion to Aeroplan.

Any way around this?

Seems to me there is a case to be made that they are falsely advertising here... https://www.cibcaventura.com/eng/faq.aspx#q4
You should talk to CIBC. They should be able to just credit the 30k Aeroplan miles directly to your Aeroplan account if they want to help you, then deduct the Aventura points from your account.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jerry305
My 30,000 bonus Aventura points cleared on my December statement date. So I have slightly over 31,000 points.

Two accounts: If I maintain an Aventura account, then I need to keep the card, and now I have another miles account, with an even poorer value, to track.

Value: Aventura bills their rewards as starting at 10,000 points... if the value of the flight is $100.00. So the value of the points is dubious.

Transferability: Transfers from Aventura to Aeroplan must be done by December 31.

My plan is to call CIBC today, transfer 30,000 Aventura to 30,000 Aeroplan, and abandon Aventura.

• Is there any possibility of a transfer bonus to Aeroplan between now and December 31?

• Can anyone see a scenario where holding 31,000 Aventura points is better than 30,000 Aeroplan points?
@ 1 cent per point.. its a no brainer to transfer to AE even with the YQ fees. At least you've got a chance to redeem on business/first long haul which AE is good for. Even the economy tickets I booked for Christmas Break was worth 4 cents per point YYC-TPA.

In addition, some *A carriers still charge reasonable for taxes. AE can access available *A flights.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Cana2013
You should talk to CIBC. They should be able to just credit the 30k Aeroplan miles directly to your Aeroplan account if they want to help you, then deduct the Aventura points from your account.
That's what I thought... but the guy told me "if I try to transfer your Aventura points to Aeroplan, you'll lose your Aventura points and the Aeroplan points won't show up in your account"

He tells me in the welcome package I received with my Aventura card, it said you can't transfer Aventura points to Aeroplan. I tell him no it wasn't in the welcome package, and even if it were, it's false advertising since both the Aeroplan and Aventura websites (which is what I referred to before I applied for the card) show that you can transfer them - he tells me he's sorry, but there's nothing he can do. Boo!! Thinking of calling again today and seeing if I get a different customer service rep...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:49 am

That's what I thought... but the guy told me "if I try to transfer your Aventura points to Aeroplan, you'll lose your Aventura points and the Aeroplan points won't show up in your account"

He tells me in the welcome package I received with my Aventura card, it said you can't transfer Aventura points to Aeroplan. I tell him no it wasn't in the welcome package, and even if it were, it's false advertising since both the Aeroplan and Aventura websites (which is what I referred to before I applied for the card) show that you can transfer them - he tells me he's sorry, but there's nothing he can do. Boo!! Thinking of calling again today and seeing if I get a different customer service rep...
If the Rep does not help you, you should ask she/he to transfer you to the supervisor.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:18 am

If the Rep does not help you, you should ask she/he to transfer you to the supervisor.
On hold for a supervisor right now...

Best they'll do is reverse the $120 annual fee - so on the bright side, I got 30k Aventura points for free then. But I must say, it's not right that they haven't updated their website to reflect the fact that they won't allow new cardholders to transfer points to Aeroplan. I'd still like to push this further, but not sure what more I can do. Any thoughts?

Last edited by SAAG; Dec 10, 2013 at 9:26 am
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:08 am

Best they'll do is reverse the $120 annual fee - so on the bright side, I got 30k Aventura points for free then. But I must say, it's not right that they haven't updated their website to reflect the fact that they won't allow new cardholders to transfer points to Aeroplan. I'd still like to push this further, but not sure what more I can do. Any thoughts?
I don't understand this "new customers starting in October" explanation that CIBC is trying to sell.

They offered a credit card. One of the benefits of the credit card was you could transfer your points to Aeroplan. There was no differentiation in their terms about what "existing customers" could do, and "new customers" couldn't.

I would understand if CIBC wanted to write those terms that way, but they never did.

Stick with the fact that CIBC offered you this deal, and you paid your annual fee, and you've earned your points, and you want your benefit. Which the website still says you can have.

If CIBC says they "haven't updated their website", they are admitting that they haven't amended their contract with you.

They SHOULD have changed their offering in October when you were applying. They SHOULD have also changed their terms & conditions effective immediately. But they DIDN'T do either. They're only making up a rule for their poor customer service reps and managers to enforce.

Good luck.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:40 pm

I would stop here. It is very good already. There are several good Amex cards for bonus miles, so just get another card for more bonuses.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

I don't understand this "new customers starting in October" explanation that CIBC is trying to sell.

They offered a credit card. One of the benefits of the credit card was you could transfer your points to Aeroplan. There was no differentiation in their terms about what "existing customers" could do, and "new customers" couldn't.

I would understand if CIBC wanted to write those terms that way, but they never did.

Stick with the fact that CIBC offered you this deal, and you paid your annual fee, and you've earned your points, and you want your benefit. Which the website still says you can have.

If CIBC says they "haven't updated their website", they are admitting that they haven't amended their contract with you.

They SHOULD have changed their offering in October when you were applying. They SHOULD have also changed their terms & conditions effective immediately. But they DIDN'T do either. They're only making up a rule for their poor customer service reps and managers to enforce.

Good luck.
I was offered this deal (30K Aventura Points), and the rep onsite at Eau Claire Market said it was transferable to AE. I looked on the brochure, and asked, where does it say this? She said, go and see the branch.

So the marketing material presented lately, doesn't mention Aventura point transferability to AE.. But I agree, in previous marketing materials and promotions prior to October, I remember seeing the transferability. One offer was 15K points, first year free Aventura Master Card. I don't remember any subsequent deals.

At least you've got 30K points for free to play with. But that's only worth 1 cent per mile. Not too much mileage out of it, but its up to $300 value nonetheless.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:31 pm

I would stop here. It is very good already. There are several good Amex cards for bonus miles, so just get another card for more bonuses.
Yeah, that's fair.
30,000 Aventura points with fee waived
is comparable to
30,000 Aeroplan points with $120 annual fee

There are + and – here.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:38 pm

I called CIBC Aventura to transfer 30,000 Aventura to 30,000 Aeroplan a few days ago. I had your experience.

"New customers, after October 1, aren't eligible." (Not according to CIBC's website when I applied. And, how is anyone supposed to know they're not eligible?)

"We've changed the terms. We've just sent letters in the mail about it to you." (Not according to this website.)

I finally referred the CSR to the terms on the CIBC website, specifically the terms valid until December 31, 2013, clause 23. I read out the URL letter by letter ( https://www.cibc.com/ca/credit-cards/aventuraterms.html), and said "that's what I want". After about 10 minutes on hold, I was told they would approve this transfer of points "this one time only". I graciously accepted, and I got my 30,000 points added to my Aeroplan account very quickly.

Boy, they sure got the "one time only" part right.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:46 pm

I called CIBC Aventura to transfer 30,000 Aventura to 30,000 Aeroplan a few days ago. I had your experience.

"New customers, after October 1, aren't eligible." (Not according to CIBC's website when I applied. And, how is anyone supposed to know they're not eligible?)

"We've changed the terms. We've just sent letters in the mail about it to you." (Not according to this website.)

I finally referred the CSR to the terms on the CIBC website, specifically the terms valid until December 31, 2013, clause 23. I read out the URL letter by letter ( https://www.cibc.com/ca/credit-cards/aventuraterms.html), and said "that's what I want". After about 10 minutes on hold, I was told they would approve this transfer of points "this one time only". I graciously accepted.

Boy, they sure got the "one time only" part right.
I am happy for you, finally someone gutsy enough to point out the arrogance of banks. Should have got the waiver of fees as compensation for your troubles. Fight on with the lazy bums. All they had to do is push a button to eliminate the reference to transfers. They keep the "wrong info" on purpose to get folks to apply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.