Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Thanks for the positive info, mountaingirl! You are the first person to report getting the 30,000 Aeroplan points, and I've been monitoring closely, both here and over at RFD!

I had full confidence that the points would come, eventually. All you need is good twiddling muscles, to keep those thumbs busy.
only 5K here so far. i need to have the 30K so i can move it to BA with the promo...oh well, no big deal if not.

[what about those that did a referral. my referral has not got any miles]
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by mkjr
only 5K here so far. i need to have the 30K so i can move it to BA with the promo...oh well, no big deal if not.

Wait, what? I thought the current conversion promo was for converting INTO Aeroplan, not out from Aeroplan (is this through points.com??).

As for the referrals...even though the signup promo is incomplete (seems like everyone gets 5K initially only), the referral points will show up on time, at your next bill statement date...as long as your friend was approved after using your referral.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Ok, so it's back to confusion and an indeterminate state. Not really confirmed that the 30,000 signup promo points have been awarded to anyone yet, because we don't know if those 3x10,000 were from referrals vs signup bonus.

Ancien, you said your wife got 3x10,000 PLUS an initial 5,000? That doesn't make sense since the promo is for 30K, not 35K. So, could you review Mrs. Ancien's AMEX statement again (not Aeroplan.com) and let us know if the 3x10,000 are bonus vs referral points.

I'm going to assume they are indeed bonus points as you alluded to, because based on my AMEX statements, all of my referral points have been one lump sum. So for example when I read my statements, after 5 referrals I see a single line stating 50,000 points for "Referral Bonus", and not 5x10,000. And my initial 5K signup points are labeled as "Bonus miles", like this:

50,000 - Referral Bonus (does not show as 5 x 10,000)
5,000 - Bonus miles

Anyway, do the community a favour, and just have a glance at Mrs. A's statement and report back here at your next convenience, to let us know how those 3x10K are labelled, thanks!
If the 30k is referral bonus points, it will listed in a seperate line named" Referral Bonus"
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:34 am

You cannot convert Aeroplan miles to BA. Even if you try hard by multiple transaction route, you will loose significant value of the mile.

Referral bonuses always show up quickly.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by mountaingrl
Just noticed my Aeroplan Gold Amex bonuses have been deposited in my AE account, 3 x 10 000 AE points all posting on the same day as I paid my first months balance (so approximately 6 weeks after getting card).
Did you check your online Amex account statement? It will tell you what the 10000x3 is.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:39 am
alc

Originally Posted by Cana2013
You cannot convert Aeroplan miles to BA. Even if you try hard by multiple transaction route, you will loose significant value of the mile.

Remember the Avion thread? The one that we talk about Aeroplan to AA via ESSO & Avion? Avion can transfer to BA and currently have a 50% bonus. So you end up with 1 aeroplan just a little bit more than 1 BA (something like 1.02)
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by alc
Remember the Avion thread? The one that we talk about Aeroplan to AA via ESSO & Avion? Avion can transfer to BA and currently have a 50% bonus. So you end up with 1 aeroplan just a little bit more than 1 BA (something like 1.02)
Sorry, you are right. That is the best route to do it.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Ok, so it's back to confusion and an indeterminate state. Not really confirmed that the 30,000 signup promo points have been awarded to anyone yet, because we don't know if those 3x10,000 were from referrals vs signup bonus.

Ancien, you said your wife got 3x10,000 PLUS an initial 5,000? That doesn't make sense since the promo is for 30K, not 35K. So, could you review Mrs. Ancien's AMEX statement again (not Aeroplan.com) and let us know if the 3x10,000 are bonus vs referral points.

I'm going to assume they are indeed bonus points as you alluded to, because based on my AMEX statements, all of my referral points have been one lump sum. So for example when I read my statements, after 5 referrals I see a single line stating 50,000 points for "Referral Bonus", and not 5x10,000. And my initial 5K signup points are labeled as "Bonus miles", like this:

50,000 - Referral Bonus (does not show as 5 x 10,000)
5,000 - Bonus miles

Anyway, do the community a favour, and just have a glance at Mrs. A's statement and report back here at your next convenience, to let us know how those 3x10K are labelled, thanks!
Mrs Maestro.

Referral Bonus 30,000 miles
Bonus Miles 5,000 miles

Ancien's

Bonus Miles 5,000 miles
Bonus Miles 10,000 miles
Bonus Miles 10,000 miles

So I guess based on the thread here, Mrs Maestro will receive another 25K, and Amex shorted me 5,000 miles.. So a bit of a twist to the overall plot.. I think.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Mrs Maestro.

Referral Bonus 30,000 miles
Bonus Miles 5,000 miles

Ancien's

Bonus Miles 5,000 miles
Bonus Miles 10,000 miles
Bonus Miles 10,000 miles

So I guess based on the thread here, Mrs Maestro will receive another 25K, and Amex shorted me 5,000 miles.. So a bit of a twist to the overall plot.. I think.
Mrs Maestro's numbers are typical but yours is wired.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Mrs Maestro's numbers are typical but yours is wired.
Obviously, you mean wrong.

Funny, with all the swirling rumors going around only 5K credited on the first month, I actually received 25K bonuses (checked my statement yesterday). Still 5K and a phone call to Amex short.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:08 am

errr....actually, you can, and right now, about just over 1:1....but hey, what do i know anyway.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:09 am

you mean, i was right and you were wrong. your welcome.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by alc
you mean, i was right and you were wrong. your welcome.
Hahaha! How did I miss this one?! Lost it amongst all the one-line 'fluff' posts.

Thanks for the reminder, mkjr, that collecting into Aeroplan isn't for everyone!...and also for your wit!

I was discussing with some friends about whether this 30K Aeroplan promo was better or not, compared to the 25K Gold Rewards promo. You start with 5K less if you apply for the Gold Rewards, but with the 2x accrual on gas/groceries/pharmacy you can make up the difference fairly quickly, depending on your spending patterns. Plus, it's more attractive to earn MRs vs Aeros, for its flexibility to convert to either Avios or Aeros when you need those points. After meeting the $500 spend for the APlus Gold, I've stuffed it away in the sock drawer, but I still carry the Gold Rewards in my wallet.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:42 am
Suspended

I was discussing with some friends about whether this 30K Aeroplan promo was better or not, compared to the 25K Gold Rewards promo. You start with 5K less if you apply for the Gold Rewards, but with the 2x accrual on gas/groceries/pharmacy you can make up the difference fairly quickly, depending on your spending patterns. Plus, it's more attractive to earn MRs vs Aeros, for its flexibility to convert to either Avios or Aeros when you need those points. After meeting the $500 spend for the APlus Gold, I've stuffed it away in the sock drawer, but I still carry the Gold Rewards in my wallet.
Indeed, the Aeroplan gold card is exactly that for myself. After meeting the $500 spend, I don't have a use for the card at all.

I do find a use for the Aeroplan gold though after the fact, as its the only Aeroplan card I've got, I can use the card for a small purchase each month, to deposit into the AE account to keep the AE account active, so my points don't expire for another 12 months.

Before the Aeroplan gold card, I think my AE account was inactive for 2 months, and that had me wondering how to keep my AE account active. Theres a lot of points in the AE account.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:26 am

JJonahJ...

what i find a little odd is that the referral link came via my mom's AP CC number.

now the issue is that she is not the primary, my dad is, all her purchases as a a sup get deposited into my father's account...[this is a good thing].

my question is whether this would screw up the bonus or whether it just goes as a bonus to the CC number that referred which then intern show up in my dad's AP account.

not that i am anxious or not, but it would be nice to get those over to my BA account to cover an F trip on a 2:4:1....hopefully bonus shows up before closer to end of Dec.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.