Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
FYI, kind of a stupid new rule on FT is that you're not allowed to have referral links in your signature! What do people think of this? I don't like it.

"Affiliate or referral links resulting in any form of compensation, including points or miles, are not permitted in signatures."

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#signatures
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by philelite
FYI, kind of a stupid new rule on FT is that you're not allowed to have referral links in your signature! What do people think of this? I don't like it.

"Affiliate or referral links resulting in any form of compensation, including points or miles, are not permitted in signatures."

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#signatures
I gather there is a thirty day grace period to bring signatures in line with new rules, although anybody wishing to post a referral offer in Amex forum must immediately bring into line.

I think it is a shame it has become necessary. I have had people click on my links who most likely are not members but wanted to enjoy the mutual benefits of the referral system, which of course delights me when I see a surprise bonus.

That being said, there is a history of post padding and other ridiculous habits (reference the content of some of this thread) which have appeared to be driven by a desire to be eligible for a signature and to make one's links prominent which will hopefully be significantly done away with under the new rules, therefore I am neutral-negative towards the new regime. If it proves that people will still abuse to make their solicitation signatures prominent, then frankly we may as well just allow the links or go down the route of banning any form of solicitation.

I believe amending the TOS has been a huge endeavor for our principals here, so doubt there will be a rush to change again/further so new rules will likely be here for some time to come.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by markandrew
I gather there is a thirty day grace period to bring signatures in line with new rules, although anybody wishing to post a referral offer in Amex forum must immediately bring into line.

I think it is a shame it has become necessary. I have had people click on my links who most likely are not members but wanted to enjoy the mutual benefits of the referral system, which of course delights me when I see a surprise bonus.

That being said, there is a history of post padding and other ridiculous habits (reference the content of some of this thread) which have appeared to be driven by a desire to be eligible for a signature and to make one's links prominent which will hopefully be significantly done away with under the new rules, therefore I am neutral-negative towards the new regime. If it proves that people will still abuse to make their solicitation signatures prominent, then frankly we may as well just allow the links or go down the route of banning any form of solicitation.

I believe amending the TOS has been a huge endeavor for our principals here, so doubt there will be a rush to change again/further so new rules will likely be here for some time to come.
imo, this is a big plus for me, as i'd rather forego the referral system on ft for actual good content and no fluff posts.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
imo, this is a big plus for me, as i'd rather forego the referral system on ft for actual good content and no fluff posts.
Im not sure if my signature applies, but definitely its my own Facebook write up group, and private blogs. Not intent to cash in on bonus miles here.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: *void
Like you, I have noticed the increased frequency of ridiculous repetitive posts which serve no purpose other than to clutter up the threads and devaluing the useful content that become buried in pages of nonsense...unfortunate, because the information from the thread can be beneficial to non-frequent readers if it were not littered with unnecessary posts.

I never even knew we could have referral links in our signatures until it became knowingly apparent why some members started to sport them along with associated "filler-fluffies", so in turn I felt forced to include them in my own signature. I will gladly remove my links when it is mandated across the board, if it means we can be rid of the fluffers. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that we will see the post-padders disappear, as evidenced at RFD, where they have banned referrals in its community forum, yet there are just as many gold-diggers in that playground if not more than over here at FT.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:09 am

Got my April monthly statement today :-)

Again, I used the "pay $1" trick to generate a statement (note: it is not necessary as Aeroplan points will get generated either way)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Got my April monthly statement today :-)

Again, I used the "pay $1" trick to generate a statement (note: it is not necessary as Aeroplan points will get generated either way)
But it is nice to get that statement on the morning of the 18th!

I put $13 through this month, darn to think that is 12 SPGs lost!

Happy Easter all!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:15 am
alc

But it is nice to get that statement on the morning of the 18th!

I put $13 through this month, darn to think that is 12 SPGs lost!

Happy Easter all!
Simple solution it to buy something that you can refund. The purchase transaction on 1st month statement and refund transaction on the 2nd month statement. As mentioned by others before, it is a transaction - can be anything: purchase, refund, payment, etc.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:46 am

LOL, I was not speaking literally. I am OK with foregoing 12 SPG in favour of AP in this case.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Use it for a coffee once a month.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Like you, I have noticed the increased frequency of ridiculous repetitive posts which serve no purpose other than to clutter up the threads and devaluing the useful content that become buried in pages of nonsense...unfortunate, because the information from the thread can be beneficial to non-frequent readers if it were not littered with unnecessary posts.

I never even knew we could have referral links in our signatures until it became knowingly apparent why some members started to sport them along with associated "filler-fluffies", so in turn I felt forced to include them in my own signature. I will gladly remove my links when it is mandated across the board, if it means we can be rid of the fluffers. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that we will see the post-padders disappear, as evidenced at RFD, where they have banned referrals in its community forum, yet there are just as many gold-diggers in that playground if not more than over here at FT.
Agreed.

But RFD at least the people who try to pimp get banned.
Referral points posted for me too.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:08 am

Agreed.

But RFD at least the people who try to pimp get banned.
Referral points posted for me too.
The party here is ending by mid May.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
The party here is ending by mid May.
Too bad.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:37 pm

Too bad.
The AeroplanPlus gold card offer probably will not last much longer than that, so no big deal.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:39 pm

@@ Posts like these are the reasons why the new rules are introduced

enough said

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.