Best use of 100,000 Aerplan points

Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Hello! I would imagine that 100,000 Aeroplan points is a pittance in comparison to what most you can earn/spend but I would like to use these up in 2014 and would very much appreciate your advice.

When searching for flights from Canada to various destinations that I can go to with only that many points, and wishing to fly somewhere in Business or First class (since I've never done that in my adult life), I am finding that AP bounces me all over the continent/globe to get me to my final destination, and the only flight in Biz/First is the shortest flight!

So I'm thinking that a flight isn't probably the best use of my miles. So then I'm thinking about using them for a Fairmont hotel stay (2 or 3 nights max it seems at a Category A or B property). Doesn't seem like the best use of the miles either.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I would like to use them for a trip, but if it doesn't seem worthwhile, do you have any other ideas? Thanks Folks, for your advice!
DO NOT USE THEM FOR A FAIRMONT PROPERTY. JUST DON'T!

I'd say mini-rtw if you can accumulate more miles or j to europe is your best bet.
Or if you can position, Hawaii to South America for 80k!
http://boardingarea.com/canadiankilo...t-sweet-spots/

Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Where are you based?

Assuming youre based on North America, Id use the 100k points for a business class award to Europe and take full advantage of the 2 stopovers + destination allowance.

Using AE miles for hotel stays isnt a particularly great deal.
Yes. That is what I have in mind.
AC's 2 stopover is really a sweet-spot.
Or if op could get 25k more, use 125k AC from North America to Asia. But be very careful about what the fuel surcharges!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by echino
Business class flights are still the best value, by far, for your Aeroplan points, if you do it right. Redeeming for hotel stays is a waste of points.

In business class, you can go to Europe for 90k, or around the world for 125k (mini-RTW). In addition to your destination, you can also have two stopovers.

Aeroplan website search is useless. You need to build your itinerary segment by segment yourself by looking for available seats using various tools (ANA, LifeMiles, United, etc.) Or, if you tell us your departure city and approximate dates and destinations, I could look up what's available and give you some ideas. Then you will need to call Aeroplan to book your custom itinerary.
Agree with others Business Class to Europe for 90K is a great use of the miles. We were fortunate enough last year to fly to Europe for our family of 4, the Olympics being the biggest of many highlights we enjoyed.

Question: Can you still a mini-RTW in Business for 125K? I thought they changed this a while back, or maybe it was for a RTW. I'll have to definitely check out the mini-RTW thread..
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Agree with others Business Class to Europe for 90K is a great use of the miles. We were fortunate enough last year to fly to Europe for our family of 4, the Olympics being the biggest of many highlights we enjoyed.

Question: Can you still a mini-RTW in Business for 125K? I thought they changed this a while back, or maybe it was for a RTW. I'll have to definitely check out the mini-RTW thread..
Yes, mini RTW to Asia 1 is 125k. Until dec 31
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Yes, mini RTW to Asia 1 is 125k. Until dec 31
Thanks.. How many points is it after December 31st, 2013?

What's going to be the most economical mini-RTW after December 31st, 2013?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:46 am

Thanks.. How many points is it after December 31st, 2013?

What's going to be the most economical mini-RTW after December 31st, 2013?
Google "Aeroplan Reward Chart"??

Redeem Aeroplan Miles | Flight Reward Chart
http://www3.aeroplan.com/FlightRewardChart.do

2013 - NA to Asia 1 - 75K in Y/125K J/175K F

2014 - NA to Asia 1 - 75K Y/150K J/210K F
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Definitely go find the extra 25k miles through a credit card bonus (either AmEx or one of the Aeroplan ones) and travel to Asia too. You can have multiple <24 hours stops plus your destination and two stopovers mentioned above, so you can really see the world!

I'm currently in Copenhagen on a trip that included Beijing, Copenhagen, Malmo (by train) and will include Warsaw too - 125k all in business class. Last year I did San Francisco (24 hours), Seoul, Hong Kong (10 hours), Bangkok, Tokyo and Washington DC (12 hours) all for 125k miles all in business class.

Flying via Taipei is useful as the airline involved (Eva) has no fuel surcharges. They will fly you Vancouver to Taipei to Bangkok to Amsterdam or London (or the other direction if you want to start in Europe first).

Best to search by individual flight leg (e.g. search for Vancouver-Taipei, then for Taipei-Bangkok as a separate flight), and use Flisea.com (set up an ANA account and give it the details) to search.
I've never used flisea or ana. I went onto the flisea site and am a bit confused. When you sign up do you have to pay for this service? Can you give us some ideas about how to use the site most effectively? I would also like to check out business to Australia next year.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Google "Aeroplan Reward Chart"??

Redeem Aeroplan Miles | Flight Reward Chart
http://www3.aeroplan.com/FlightRewardChart.do

2013 - NA to Asia 1 - 75K in Y/125K J/175K F

2014 - NA to Asia 1 - 75K Y/150K J/210K F
Unfortunate that Asia 1 and Asia 2 got enhanced this year.. I didn't realize it was part of the mini-rtw.. I was actually looking to book a trip to Asia next year in business because the miles were increasing, but decided we'll do another year in Hawaii instead.

I like to think that the Aeroplan Distinctions program was to add to the program, now its convinced me that the new program is to help ease the pain and anger of AE members who enjoy mini-rtws on business and first through Asia.

I presume there are no other mini-rtws of this low number of points on business and first anywhere? Asia 1 still the best and most inexpensive routing for a mini-rtw? Thanks for the help in this forum.. I'll research thoroughly in the mini-rtw as well.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Safti
I've never used flisea or ana. I went onto the flisea site and am a bit confused. When you sign up do you have to pay for this service? Can you give us some ideas about how to use the site most effectively? I would also like to check out business to Australia next year.
Flisea and ana are both free, if you need help with flisea you can ask Pseudo Nim as I do believe he made the tool.

Unfortunate that Asia 1 and Asia 2 got enhanced this year.. I didn't realize it was part of the mini-rtw.. I was actually looking to book a trip to Asia next year in business because the miles were increasing, but decided we'll do another year in Hawaii instead.

I like to think that the Aeroplan Distinctions program was to add to the program, now its convinced me that the new program is to help ease the pain and anger of AE members who enjoy mini-rtws on business and first through Asia.

I presume there are no other mini-rtws of this low number of points on business and first anywhere? Asia 1 still the best and most inexpensive routing for a mini-rtw? Thanks for the help in this forum.. I'll research thoroughly in the mini-rtw as well.
Yep, I think the mini-rtw got wrecked as australia, middle east/india, and the asias are going up.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC E75K / Marriott Silver Elite / SPG
Also, do not forget that booking your AP Reward over the phone is subject to a booking fee.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Thanks. I will contact Pseudo Nim for instructions. Appreciate your help.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flyer4Ever
Also, do not forget that booking your AP Reward over the phone is subject to a booking fee.
Its extremely difficult to book a complicated itinerary on the website. I've been able to book open jaws, but as soon as I introduce a stopover, the system says invalid itinerary, requires additional mileage. My experience with open jaw and stopover, or two stopovers, is about 5 redemption trips.

But phoning Aeroplan, I've been able to book a stopover and openjaw, no problem, and worth the $30 booking fee per ticket. Booking a mini-
RTW is going to be even more difficult online, and to get it right, speak to the agent before triggering. The cost to change an itinerary booked online is $90.. 3x the cost.. if a mistake is made.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by echino
Alternatively, you sign up for Amex Gold, which will give you 20k free Aeroplan miles, and you will have enough to book a mini-RTW in business class, for example:

Calgary - Thailand
Thailand - Amsterdam
Amsterdam - Rome
Rome - Calgary

Lots of options. Maximize your miles by using them for long haul business class travel on nice airlines, don't use them for anything else.
+1
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Me too !

I've been a member since Aeroplan started in 1984 and feel sad that I'm going to cash out of my miles..

I currently have 104K in my account and was going to use it for a RT EU to SIN for 105K, and after looking at the chart, might go for the mini RTW for 125K or Australia (135K) ex YVR, and with BR in the helm, it opens up more award possibilities too.

I have an existing booking on LH in Q class (full miles) from SIN to FRA to YYZ to YVR which would give me around 12430 miles after I fly the route . That means I'll be only about 9K short of the required 125K for the former award or 19K for the latter.

Question ... If I start my journey before the end of this year and part of the trip touches 2014, will I be subjected to the new 2014 levels?

And.. I forget.. Can I change dates after first flight flown, eg YVR-TPE-SIN.. And need date changes after SIN ?

Thank you.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Aug 27, 2013 at 12:24 am
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Me too !

I've been a member since Aeroplan started in 1984 and feel sad that I'm going to cash out of my miles..

I currently have 104K in my account and was going to use it for a RT EU to SIN for 105K, and after looking at the chart, might go for the mini RTW for 125K or Australia (135K) ex YVR, and with BR in the helm, it opens up more award possibilities too.

I have an existing booking on LH in Q class (full miles) from SIN to FRA to YYZ to YVR which would give me around 12430 miles after I fly the route . That means I'll be only about 9K short of the required 125K for the former award or 19K for the latter.

Question ... If I start my journey before the end of this year and part of the trip touches 2014, will I be subjected to the new 2014 levels?

And.. I forget.. Can I change dates after first flight flown, eg YVR-TPE-SIN.. And need date changes after SIN ?

Thank you.
You know the quickest way is to sign up for either AMEX Gold (15K or 20K via referral) or CIBC Aerogold by 8/31 (15K)

I believe you're okay with 125K when you BOOK by 12/31/2013
and also, you should be able to change after 1st segment is flown, pending availability and $90 change fee, and same class (to not trigger the new 150K requirement)

You could always ask Aeroplan agent for confirmation without booking

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.