Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

And they wonder why people are confused about aeroplan vs altitude

Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat

My wife just passed a 60k AQM threshold and got the email from Altitude notifying her to make a choice for her threshold gift on the Altitude website. As others have noted, there is no place to do so on the Altitude site, just a spot to monitor the delivery of your choice. So logically, she called Altitude to select her 1500AQM bonus. No luck, as she was then told that Altitude cannot do it, the Altitude website cannot do it, and she must call Aeroplan (for crossing an Altitude threshold!).

FWIW Aeroplan did actually process it (though with much hand holding).

Clear as mud.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:22 pm

Yeah it's a stupid system, especially with this Distinction nonsense being added.

But then again, AP/AC are not exactly renowned for their technological expertise.

The only thing I like about AC is the matrix display of their fares. Everything else is gibberish. I still cannot understand why it takes up to a week for trip segments + miles to be credited.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
I still cannot understand why it takes up to a week for trip segments + miles to be credited.
It's crazy. When I was flying Delta a lot, 18 years ago, my segments were credited before I even deplaned. 18 years later and Air Canada has been unable to do this.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
So Altitude is separate from Aeroplan but is administered by Aeroplan which has Distinction but is not to be confused with Altitude.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by RCyyz
So Altitude is separate from Aeroplan but is administered by Aeroplan which has Distinction but is not to be confused with Altitude.
You have the chops to be a good Altitude marketing manager!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: *G
I still cannot understand why it takes up to a week for trip segments + miles to be credited.
For AC flights, it almost always happens in 3 days (never less), which I gather is related to all transactions going through a Star clearing house to guard against doubling up in programs.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by YULforever
My wife just passed a 60k AQM threshold and got the email from Altitude notifying her to make a choice for her threshold gift on the Altitude website. As others have noted, there is no place to do so on the Altitude site, just a spot to monitor the delivery of your choice. So logically, she called Altitude to select her 1500AQM bonus. No luck, as she was then told that Altitude cannot do it, the Altitude website cannot do it, and she must call Aeroplan (for crossing an Altitude threshold!).

FWIW Aeroplan did actually process it (though with much hand holding).

Clear as mud.
At risk of sounding like an apologist, you can absolutely 100% select your 60K threshold on the altitude.aircanada.com website dashboard. I crossed this week and selected 1500AQM as the bonus and it was credited to my account two days later.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:43 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by fin 645
For AC flights, it almost always happens in 3 days (never less), which I gather is related to all transactions going through a Star clearing house to guard against doubling up in programs.
As part of their 50$ million cost savings program they now ship the points from your destination to Montreal by ground instead of by air.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by danapop
At risk of sounding like an apologist, you can absolutely 100% select your 60K threshold on the altitude.aircanada.com website dashboard. I crossed this week and selected 1500AQM as the bonus and it was credited to my account two days later.
Nice to know some things get fixed. Three weeks ago it was not possible. Confirmed with both the altitude and ap people.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:25 pm

No. You have it wrong. Aeroplan is distinctly separate from Altitude, and it is not administered by Altitude staff, but rather by Altitude staff who distinctly have the mission of ensuring that is should not be confused with Aeroplan.

Jeesh. Get it right.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:06 pm
Original Member

Just received my Aerotude card, but it still has a very distinct AltiPlan logo on it.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
This sounds like Gertrude Stein - and she has been gone since 1946!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: down to Zone 5
Well, good thing Air Canada sent out a broadcast email to everyone on Monday to "clarifiy" the difference between Altitude & Distinction huh?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.